Sign in to follow this  
cadiar

Colombia Manning levels

The Police Commander of the Countries Capital City, Bogota, has stated this week, that he can't guarantee the safety of the residents of the City, because he only has 6000 Officers per Shift!!!!! Yes, that's right, six thousand officers per shift, to cover one city. 

When in the job, even working a large town with surrounding villages, we were lucky if we could put out 60, and that was on a good day!

The problem in Colombia is not the quantity of Officers, it is the quality... there is a lack of training, there is no motivation, and the pay is abysmal.  I don't live in Bogota, but near the second biggest City here, Medellin, likewise they have so many Officers on duty, it is hard to move without bumping into one of them, however they have no motivation to help the community, I have seen it first hand, where, Officers have attended an incident, and been threatened by the offender, fearing reprisals, the offender has been released and sent on his way.

Even I, as a humble retired Constable, can see that the answer is to, introduce a new training program, reduce the overall number of Officers, motivate the officers to do their job, and give them a salary becoming their occupation. Because the National Police here are run along military lines, with military ranks, there is conscription, and there is no place for that in the Police.

If the Bogota Police Commander can't see the solution himself, then he should resign, instead of moaning that he needs MORE men.

Edited by cadiar