Sign in to follow this  
Westie

Lawyer accused of sexism

I don't understand how the female barrister can make an allegation of sexism against a male lawyer who sends a message on a mobile phone complimenting the barrister regarding her looks. I think that it was unprofessional of him to send the message in the first place, but that's about it. Surely, he was simply paying her a compliment, nothing more, nothing less. From the reports I've read, there was nothing dirty or smutty about the message. I know lots of women who would be flattered to receive such a message.

• Like 3

I've heard the recording and she needs to get a life. People are starving, being abused, being murdered and subjected to horrendous thuggery throughout the country and the world and she is complaining because some bloke liked her picture. What an idiot. :angry:  :angry:  :angry:

• Like 1

I've heard the recording and she needs to get a life. People are starving, being abused, being murdered and subjected to horrendous thuggery throughout the country and the world and she is complaining because some bloke liked her picture. What an idiot. :angry:  :angry:  :angry:

:clap:  :clap: :clap:  

• Like 1

If that is the reply to a compliment just think what she would have said if they called her a slapper who only slept her way to her law degree.

• Like 3

I've seen a news 'article' that appears to have tracked her comments on men's photos............and that would appear to be ok in her world.

The 'thing' about making such a comment in public, and sharing your life publicly, is that whatever you say can be brought back years after you said it.

I don't think people get 'it' - publish your life with photos/comments, and then if something ANYTHING happens to you, 'the press' can, and will, go through everything you've ever posted and find something, or twist something, to their ends.......same with this.

You dance with the Devil............

• Like 2

I haven't caught up with this story, but as a matter of principle, in a professional world, complimenting someone on their looks in a photo could be deemed sexist because it implies that the remarker's primary thoughts about the remarkee is that he or she is good looking, regardless of any brains or ability. Suppose I were to comment to a research fellow that they looked good in their photo on their university faculty page? I'd be looking at their looks, not achievements.

Part of me thinks she put a LinkedIn profile pic up of her in a red party dress clinging to her boobs and sat back and waited for some sap to be stupid enough to say something. Because let's face it, she has certainly raised her profile. She's a barrister, why didn't she put one of her in robes and a wig?

And yes I know we shouldn't judge on how people present themselves, but she is the one banging on about being taken seriously.

• Like 4

OK, I have seen the message sent and I agree it is, on the face of it, sexist.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/34206080/linkedin-sexism-row-charlotte-proudman-says-lawyer-used-site-like-tinder

In the message, Mr Carter-Silk wrote: "Charlotte, delighted to connect, I appreciate that this is probably horrendously politically incorrect but that is a stunning picture!!!

"You definitely win the prize for the best LinkedIn picture I have ever seen.

"Always interest [sic] to understant [sic] people's skills and how we might work together."

Would Mr Carter-Silk have sent this same message to a man? I doubt it. On that grounds alone it is very likely sexist.

It's also creepy and slimy, the sort of message I get in my "other" message inbox on Facebook. Revolting.

I feel sorry for this man.

He made a foolish mistake with the comment, and he apologised for this - apparently this was not good enough.

I am wondering what the lawyers reaction would have been if a female had sent a similar comment to her.

What if a McDonalds drive-thru assistant made the comment? Would it be headline news?

This seems very vindictive and opportunistic and I feel she will be the one who looses out in the long run.

In my opinion this man is being unfairly vilified for being a successful solicitor. Let's not forget he is a human being with feelings and, although Ill-advised, let's put this in context - LinkedIn is a 'social network' for professionals to connect, like Facebook without the silly videos and photographs of people's lunch.

I am completely against sexism, but I think it's clear this woman has a deep rooted feminist agenda and has seized on this opportunity.

No winners in this case.

• Like 3

I agree, Pork Chop. She's really nailed his balls to the mast. For what? I think most of us under the same circumstances would have just told him what for and left it at that. It was a patronizing, chauvinistic and ill considered remark, but I've heard others of his age and ilk say the same sort of things.

I was at a talk once where the speaker paused mid flow when talking about a work colleague, and said to a person in the audience, "Phwoah, what about her then, she was all right, wasn't she?" Gobsmacking. He was totally oblivious to the inappropriateness of his remarks and meant no harm.

There are 1 hidden replies in this thread that you do not currently have access to as a Guest User of our forum. To unlock the forum register for an account for FREE today by clicking HERE
Sign in to follow this