Sign in to follow this  
GingerBeard

No sense of smell

Hey guys im new here. I have a question. Iv been thinking long and hard about joining for a while now, to start with i want to join as an SC. I'm concerned however that i will not be accepted due to having no sense of smell. I realise it is quite important in some situations and i fully understand their reasoning if i get rejected. But i need clarification really so i can move on or press forwards. 

Cheers for the help guys.

I doubt that is classed as a disability that would exclude you. If anything it could help when you get in the filthy squad cars, or attend the home of one of the great unwashed.

It shouldn't hold you back as I don't think it something force Drs check, although it might be something you have to declare.  A sense of smell will help with some jobs such as drugs  or getting the first indication that someone is drink driving, but other senses can make up for that loss.

• I did over 30 years with a very poor sense of smell and, as others have already said, it can be advantage in certain situations. However, I'm sure that as a police officer you will encounter certain aromas which will assure you that your sense of smell might not be as bad as you think. 

• I did over 30 years with a very poor sense of smell and, as others have already said, it can be advantage in certain situations. However, I'm sure that as a police officer you will encounter certain aromas which will assure you that your sense of smell might not be as bad as you think. 

Mostly in the back of a carrier.... 

Sign in to follow this