Sign in to follow this  
IveToldYouOnce

What we really need right now....

....is more Lords...........and less coppers.

Austerity.................is for other people. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-34072201

According to the BBC report, the House of Lords annual 'budget', is roughly £100million, of which £20 million is expenses/allowances.

You'd think, with nearly 800 people entitled to be there, that they'd have to wait for a few to die before chucking more lucky individuals in there.  It's gotta be cramped pretty much all the time in there, surely???

What is interesting is that the House of Lords is now the world's 2nd largest legislative body - second only to China's National People's Congress.

And they said we needed reforming.  The Lords, apparently, doesn't.

• Like 4

I don't think that Lords can be sacked or dismissed so the obvious solution if you are the government (of whatever colour) is to add more of your supporters in order to shift the balance in your favour in the upper house no matter at what cost.

The Tories were all for reform of both houses during the last parliament but I haven't heard anything said about it for this one.  

Don't forget ITYO, we are all in this together!!

Lucky to be in a job too!!

Jolly good pension the new one don't you know!!

You are jolly lucky not to work in the cut throat private sector!!

Dealing with the most violent and difficult people in society is easy compared to that don't you forget!!

Cabinet and other areas of politics awash with multi millionaires but they are suffering just like us... cos this is the big society now

We are all in this together...

Arent we?

• Like 2

I don't think that Lords can be sacked or dismissed so the obvious solution if you are the government (of whatever colour) is to add more of your supporters in order to shift the balance in your favour in the upper house no matter at what cost.

The Tories were all for reform of both houses during the last parliament but I haven't heard anything said about it for this one.  

I don't think they can either, but they can retire.............

I don't think they can either, but they can retire.............

But that would mean that 1-they had a a mind of their own and 2-they would have to take their nose out of the tax payer funded trough.  Even Lord Janner hasn't left the Lords despite his alleged alzheimers.  

• Like 1

Politics is a growth business kick started by the introduction of MEPs in the 80's followed by devolution in the 90's.  The current government's plans for further devolved powers will probably mean even more roles for politicians on a local scale, so adding more Lords is just par for the course.

• Like 1

It's decision like this that make me question whether austerity measures need to be so drastic. Clearly if things were so bad they wouldn't progress with this stupid decision. More coppers/nurses/fire fighters needed, not more Lords. It is madness.

• Like 2