Sign in to follow this  
skydiver

Gargan the Yo Yo Chief Constable is Suspended Again.

http://www.policeoracle.com/news/police_staff/2015/Aug/19/nick-gargan-asked-to-resign-after--losing-confidence-of-public-and-police-_89304.html&commentadded=1

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-33987889

A police chief guilty of misconduct has been called upon to resign by the police and crime commissioner.

Avon and Somerset chief constable Nick Gargan was suspended in May 2014 amid allegations of inappropriate conduct and, later, data protection breaches......

She said she had now "initiated the process to require him to resign".

This raises a couple of points apart from that of Gargan's behaviour and misconduct hearings.

First a PCC can use regulations to call upon a CC to resign but there still isn't a mechanism in place to get a PCC to do the same thing despite an obvious need for one.

Secondly why is Mountstevens appointing the current ACC to be T/CC for one month until he retires?  What can Long possible do that is useful for such a short period other than to allow him to retire on a higher pension i.e. that of a CC rather than an ACC.  Alternatively are regulations that inflexible that the CC role can only go to the direct deputy with no way for someone more suitable to skip a rank and take up the role, or even to have no CC for one month to allow the current DCC to take over once Long has retired?  Whatever the situation the news will be open to negative manipulation by the likes of the DM in order to show how out of touch PCCs are, or how expensive police are.

I don't know what the evidence is but if a professional panel recommends final written warning & reinstatement, to ignore it is not smart. It strikes me that Mountstevens is trying to make a name for herself.

I also find it a little distasteful that three former CCs have thought it necessary to get involved - presumably they do not know all the evidence either or, if they do, has it been forwarded to them as chums of Mountstevens?

All-in-all, an unpleasant situation

Sounds as if she is trying to move the goal posts, and obviously someone is pulling her strings, Who?

It makes a joke of the term double jeopardy.  As for his deputy being made acting CC - surely if the Cghief was on holiday for a month, he would just carry on as normal with the day to day running.

Edited by Zulu 22

Mountstevens said she was preparing for him to return but the reaction from officers in the force, all ranks, made his position untenable.

So now some will say well done for listening to the rank as file while others will criticise her for being weak and manipulated by the lower ranks.

Don't agree this is a PCC trying to make a name for herself. She managed that when she was first elected by telling the then Chief Constable he had to apply for his own job.

http://www.policeoracle.com/news/police_staff/2015/Aug/19/nick-gargan-asked-to-resign-after--losing-confidence-of-public-and-police-_89304.html&commentadded=1

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-33987889

This raises a couple of points apart from that of Gargan's behaviour and misconduct hearings.

First a PCC can use regulations to call upon a CC to resign but there still isn't a mechanism in place to get a PCC to do the same thing despite an obvious need for one.

Secondly why is Mountstevens appointing the current ACC to be T/CC for one month until he retires?  What can Long possible do that is useful for such a short period other than to allow him to retire on a higher pension i.e. that of a CC rather than an ACC.  Alternatively are regulations that inflexible that the CC role can only go to the direct deputy with no way for someone more suitable to skip a rank and take up the role, or even to have no CC for one month to allow the current DCC to take over once Long has retired?  Whatever the situation the news will be open to negative manipulation by the likes of the DM in order to show how out of touch PCCs are, or how expensive police are.

John Long was a DCC.  He only had to do 6 months as Acting/CC to get a CC's pension.

And he's gone.  He's finally done the right thing and resigned but it has cost £575000 in legal costs since the whole sorry saga began and it must have cost a lost more in terms of damage to his and the forces reputation.

• Like 1

I don't think this will be the end of the line here…………I bet he has taken best legal advice, advised to resigned & then sue them!

You don't think he'll be bothered that his career and reputation are in tatters then, Gripper? Have a word with yourself.

I'd rather have his pension than mine, wouldn't you?.

100K a year pension.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by gripper

That's not the point! I'm sure he'd rather have not had to resign in disgrace. I don't doubt the money will ease the pain, but I suspect he's a proud man, and this is something he now has to live with.

He ruined his own reputation by his behaviour, so the 5K a month pension after tax is something I'm sure he will cherish, to help him with his new job selling mobile phones!.

I'd rather have his pension than mine, wouldn't you?.

100K a year pension.

He's 48 and under the 30 yrs.....I assume even Chiefs have to get over 25 yrs and get to 50.

I don't know their pension conditions but under normal circumstances I assume he will take a big hit on his lump sum like a normal PC?? In his case tens of thousands of pounds...,who knows??

There are 24 hidden replies in this thread that you do not currently have access to as a Guest User of our forum. To unlock the forum register for an account for FREE today by clicking HERE
Sign in to follow this