Sign in to follow this  
BIkerider

Yet another investigation

The late, ex Prime Minister Edward Heath is the latest subject of an investigation into historic sexual abuse is being carried out by 4 police forces, The Met, Kent, Wiltshire and Jersey, are all investigating these allegations. There are allegations of various incidents being covered up as well.

I wonder who else will be dragged into the lime light. The list seems to be without end or is it jumping onto the band wagon yet again.

It'd be interesting to see what would happen to the volume of complaints against some of these public figures if it was made clear that compensation was no longer on the table.

• Like 3

He's dead; so who is paying if the allegations are proven true?

The Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority (CICA). A Public Body that pays compensation out to victims of crime.

There was some controversy recently as it will reduce a payment if the recipient has criminal convictions and there are cases of people having been abused as children who as a result of the trauma become alcohol or drug dependent and commit low level crimes. They then get reduced compensation because of what the abuse did to them.

It is an easy path for compensation seekers. Pick on someone who is dead and cannot defend themselves. The investigations are a complete waste of time and resources.

I disagree Zulu, if it weren't for the Savile investigation Ray Perret (still living) would not have been convicted and jailed.

And why shouldn't genuine victims be compensated? Some of these people made complaints years ago and were dismissed! We aren't only talking about people speaking up who have just read about it.

The late, ex Prime Minister Edward Heath is the latest subject of an investigation into historic sexual abuse is being carried out by 4 police forces, The Met, Kent, Wiltshire and Jersey, are all investigating these allegations. There are allegations of various incidents being covered up as well.

I wonder who else will be dragged into the lime light. The list seems to be without end or is it jumping onto the band wagon yet again.

I think the list could be potentially endless as I suspect the incidence of child abuse has been far more frequent than most of us imagined.

If it were possible to go back centuries I think a great many individuals from all levels of society would be having the finger of suspicion pointed at them.  

I disagree Zulu, if it weren't for the Savile investigation Ray Perret (still living) would not have been convicted and jailed.

And why shouldn't genuine victims be compensated? Some of these people made complaints years ago and were dismissed! We aren't only talking about people speaking up who have just read about it.

I  have no problem with the living being investigated, as they can defend themselves and sometimes do by showing that they were not in the location at the times and dates mentioned.  Ah genuine victims compensated, but you have no way of knowing if they are genuine or attemting to climb on the band wagon.  Some are allegedly speaking out, for the first time, after 60 years.

Could any of us remember what we were doing 50/60 years ago, except being in a pram.

• Like 2

If I had done something that wrong fifty years ago I would remember, but the point I am making is that Ray Perret would never have been convicted if the investigation on the already dead Savile hadn't been progressed. The same may happen with Heath.

If I had done something that wrong fifty years ago I would remember, but the point I am making is that Ray Perret would never have been convicted if the investigation on the already dead Savile hadn't been progressed. The same may happen with Heath.

Ray Terret actually, but there was evidence and he was given the opportunity to rebut that evidence and so got justice. It is the easiest thing in the world to make accusations that cannot be rebutted, and the defendant has by their death the inability to do this.

• Like 1

They are not looking for convictions in this incident, any conclusion they come to will be based on:-' Balance of Probability' which as we know is a lesser level of proof than is required in a court. If any compensation is to be paid out, then it will be based on this.

It is an easy path for compensation seekers. Pick on someone who is dead and cannot defend themselves. The investigations are a complete waste of time and resources.

I am beginning to come to that train of thought myself. However, if it is the case that a high profile offender who is now deceased has had his/her unlawful behavior `covered up' by persons in authority then I believe that should be looked at with a view to ensuring that this type of `whitewashing' does not continue.

I agree with Whisper and OldCopper, if there is evidence of abuse and cover up it should be investigated whether the accused is living or dead. And these accusations must have some substantial foundation of credibility or and investigation wouldn't be initiated.

Lastly, while these investigations may not deter perpetrators, I suggest they send a signal to past and current victims that you will be listened to by authorities, if your facts can be substantiated by an investigation that the law--police and courts--will act even if the accused is dead.

There are 5 hidden replies in this thread that you do not currently have access to as a Guest User of our forum. To unlock the forum register for an account for FREE today by clicking HERE
Sign in to follow this