Grumpy2

Calais Migrant Crisis

I don't understand how no-one can seem to get a handle on the migrant crisis in Calais.  I've came up with a simple solution after watching Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.  

All the French authorities need to do is hire a fleet of sparsely loaded HGV's, let them all climb in thinking they're off to the land of free houses and benefits, lock them in, and drive them to the nearest detention centre until they figure out what to do with them.  

Is that too simple a solution or am I just being stupid?  

• Like 7

I don't understand how no-one can seem to get a handle on the migrant crisis in Calais.  I've came up with a simple solution after watching Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.  

All the French authorities need to do is hire a fleet of sparsely loaded HGV's, let them all climb in thinking they're off to the land of free houses and benefits, lock them in, and drive them to the nearest detention centre until they figure out what to do with them.  

Is that too simple a solution or am I just being stupid?

Brilliant, just brilliant! :D

It is all very well making light of the situation, but a problem it is and to a very large extent I blame the French for allowing them to set up camp(s) so near to the terminals, or for that matter allowing them to cross their country and get as far as they do. As for what we can do if they manage to get over the channel I am at a loss.

Those that mangage to get over nearly always claim asylum which by any measurement is an outright abuse of the term, they are only after what they perceive as an easy lifestyle in UK. That has to be stopped, how I don't know, but it has to be sooner than later. This country is full we cannot take any more!

• Like 3

And now the Greeks are wanting to move to Britain. This is serious and there is not enough room in Britain for all those who want to come her, not to mention the strain on public services at a time they are being cut to the bone. Where are our countries leader during all this. The silence is deafening.

Edited by keithboy37

And now the Greeks are wanting to move to Britain. This is serious and there is not enough room in Britain for all those who want to come her, not to mention the strain on public services at a time they are being cut to the bone. Where are our countries leader during all this. The silence is deafening.

And that would only be a case of financial migration. You cannot blame them for wanting to safeguard their finances, but it should not be our problem.

• Like 3

It would seem simply making the UK an unattractive option would help. No benefits, having to live in conditions on the very fringe of what is acceptable & no public bodies bending over backwards to help them. I empathise if they are being persecuted or are in fear of death in their own land, but the UK is not the first safe country they reach. They will in fact, having found a safe country where their life is not in danger, risk their lives to then make the onward journey to the UK.

• Like 3

And that would only be a case of financial migration. You cannot blame them for wanting to safeguard their finances, but it should not be our problem.

Nor should we allow the French to exacerbate the problem by their total abrogation of their responsibilities :angry:

However, we cannot expect much else from the French authorities as these are the very people who allow their own citizens to "cross the line" of reasonable conduct such as we see with their farmers' and ferry-workers' protests (I am always amused by the pro-EU stance of the French which, when it suits, suddenly gets forgotten - when their greedy farmers and other workers want to stop imports of goods from other EU countries). Perfidious French :tongue_cheek:

• Like 1

Eurotunnel estimates that up to 2000 migrants tried to storm their Calais terminal on the night on 27/07/15 to try to board trains bound for England.

Tell them that there is plenty room up top (25KW power cables) :shock:  That'l give them a buzz :shock: :shock:They won't be back for 2nds

Sky News are reporting another night of invasion o the Channel Tunnel by migrants (1500+ apparently). I really find it difficult to understand how this is happening because, surely, the Channel Tunnel is a National Key Point for the French (and for UK) and, as such, should be properly protected and patrolled. This ongoing security farce has to be stopped or else what makes it difficult for a suicide bomber (who probably wouldn't look out-of-place amongst) to penetrate into the tunnel? Bearing in mind that the French have a national para-military police, why are they not using their usual tactics to supress these serious incidents?

• Like 1

What I'm not understanding is why are these people running about? Aren't they housed in detention facilities? How are they getting out? I just read the BBC report, but what about French public safety if 1500 to 2K people are roaming the streets or roads as a group?

Another reason they like the UK is soft policing. We have no ID cards and a government who don't even want criminals stopped & searched let alone people's identity checked. We're a joke. 

• Like 1

What I'm not understanding is why are these people running about? Aren't they housed in detention facilities? How are they getting out? I just read the BBC report, but what about French public safety if 1500 to 2K people are roaming the streets or roads as a group?

They are not housed in detention centers. They set up a camp for themselves and the French then provided certain things for them They are free to roam about at will.

They are not housed in detention centers. They set up a camp for themselves and the French then provided certain things for them They are free to roam about at will.

There lies the problem, or one of them!.

At the same time, imagine if the problem was on the other foot and hordes of migrants were trying to get into France but were stopped at our borders. For purposes of arguement say Dover or Folkestone and there was an encampment set up within a stones throw of the exit point. Do you think the good residents of those two towns would put up with thousands of the unwshed largely lawless, camped and sleeping rough near where they live.

I think I can say with some certainty they wouldn't, and they would be dealt with expeditiously. So where is the Fench citizens voice? They are strangely very quiet. Are they more under the thumb than the those in UK, I don't think so considering the violent protests we have seen with the farmers and dock workers. Answers please.

• Like 1

There are 189 hidden replies in this thread that you do not currently have access to as a Guest User of our forum. To unlock the forum register for an account for FREE today by clicking HERE