Sign in to follow this  
skydiver

Speak Foreign or Don't Apply

Apologies for the ungrammatical thread title but I wanted to sum up the MPS's new policy in a succinct way. 

http://metro.co.uk/2015/07/20/all-new-met-police-constables-must-be-able-to-speak-a-second-language-5304857/    

Fancy becoming a copper in the Met? Well you had better start brushing up on your Punjabi or Greek then.

That is if you want to apply to the London force during their current recruitment drive.

The Metropolitan Police have announced their during their current intake on constables they will only accept applicants with a second language.

Read more: http://metro.co.uk/2015/07/20/all-new-met-police-constables-must-be-able-to-speak-a-second-language-5304857/#ixzz3gpL9Oj7N

Its led to a lot of debate on the Police Oracle news pages as well as on other forums with what seems like the majority of people disagreeing with it and commenting that it is positive discrimination to favour foreign or BME candidates, that its unnecessary, or that it panders to people who should really be able to speak English.

Personally I think that its a back door way of starting positive discrimination to recruit more officers from minority groups.  I have got no problem accepting that the police need to do more to recruit a wider range of people in order to reflect society but I want to see this being done by making the police a more attractive place to work for all groups rather than making it easier for one group to join at the expense of another.

Funny this is really so ironic. I asked for leeway with shifts so I could attend nightschool to learn a foreign language to assist me at work, not time off and I would pay for the course, my supervisor laughed at me.

• Like 3

This sounds as if there is a degree of discrimination here and I don't mean positive towards non foreign langauge speakers.

Mind you it is one of the conditions of Employment in the German Polizei that they speak English. I have conversed with many in my travels and without exception they all were able to converse in English, although with various levels of competance.

I have a colleague (competent) who due to personal circumstances travels well over a hundred miles to work each way. He applied to GMP to be nearer home but was turned down as a transferee as he didn't speak a second language - ironic because he is a fully trained, operational and dedicated police officer who will no doubt soon be lost to the service through no fault of his own.

Ah.  It's for 4 weeks.  SO.  If you don't speak the extra (interesting selection of) languages then wait for 4 weeks and apply then.

If you can speak those languages fluently, you'd make more money being an interpreter..........and get punched in the face less.

This sounds as if there is a degree of discrimination here and I don't mean positive towards non foreign langauge speakers.

Mind you it is one of the conditions of Employment in the German Polizei that they speak English. I have conversed with many in my travels and without exception they all were able to converse in English, although with various levels of competance.

I can understand this requirement as English is the most commonly-understood language - and adopted by quite a number of countries as the official language for business and government communications. I believe that in China all children from the age of 5 learn English (and for sure my two boys will begin to learn Mandarin once they go to primary school). This isn't me being a "Little Englander" but rather a pragmatist - French is declining as an international language (some former French colonies are gradually changing to teaching English rather than French).

• Like 1

Wouldn't it make more sense to ask members of those communities to volunteer to teach existing coppers those languages?

You know - a bit of community outreach?  Building bridges and all that............

• Like 2

They can't do that, it's indirect race discrimination.  I hope someone sues the ar$e off them.  

Everyone is getting sick of all the positive discrimination, labelled as positive action, across all diversity strands.  Equality should mean just that.  No-one should be less favourably treated because they're white, black, male, female, straight, gay, etc, etc.  The only thing that should matter is who is the best person for the job.  Nothing else should come into it.  

They seem hell bent on trying to rectify the mistakes of the past by reversing the discrimination and in doing so are actually generating animosity and storing up problems for the future.  I can't understand how those who make these policies just don't get that!  

They can't do that, it's indirect race discrimination.  I hope someone sues the ar$e off them.

Yes they can it is just a qualification they are asking for. However being bilingual or even multi lingual does not make a good copper. For a good example of this look at Sir Peter (I'm a joke) Fahy. Thank God he is retiring. Cheshire did very well getting rid of him to GMP.

Wasn't it part of the governments plans that all immigrants must speak English to gain citizenship. If they enforce that then there would be no reason for cops to speak other languages. It seems we are bowing down to political correctness again. 

• Like 2

Yes they can it is just a qualification they are asking for. However being bilingual or even multi lingual does not make a good copper. For a good example of this look at Sir Peter (I'm a joke) Fahy. Thank God he is retiring. Cheshire did very well getting rid of him to GMP.

Sorry Zulu, I disagree.  Hogan Howe was recently quoted in the press saying that he wanted to incentivise older white officers to leave so that he could recruit more black and ethnic groups.  To do so would be discrimination against white people and it was a stupid comment for such a high ranking officer to make.  

Now add into the mix his latest policy of requiring new recruits to speak a second foreign language and the rationale behind this requirement becomes clear and discriminatory against white officers.   This education system in this country does not make the learning of a foreign language compulsory, therefore most UK nationals who do not come from an ethnic background, many of whom are taught a foreign language by their families, will not speak one.  

The only way the Met could get away with this requirement and claim that it was not racial discrimination, would be to show that there was a strong business need for such a policy.  Is there really?  Whilst there may be pockets of communities in and around London who do not speak any English, the vast majority of people that the police deal with on a day to day basis do.  And there are that many languages spoken in and around London that having the ability to speak a single additional foreign language would not greatly assist an individual officer to communicate on a day to day basis anyway.  Is such a far reaching policy therefore proportionate and reasonable?  I don't think so.  

No, the Met Commissioner has suggested this policy with one clear aim and that is to increase the number of ethnic minorities entering the service, but in doing so, is indirectly discriminating against white officers.  And he knows it!  

But ultimately this is not for you or I to decide, I'm sure it will be thrashed out in the courts before too long.  Until then, we'll just need to agree to disagree.  

• Like 1

There are 25 hidden replies in this thread that you do not currently have access to as a Guest User of our forum. To unlock the forum register for an account for FREE today by clicking HERE
Sign in to follow this