Sign in to follow this  
tigers66

New round of budget cuts 25-40%

I've just seen this article on the BBC website  http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-33610801  and George Osborne has told depts. to draw up plans to cut their budgets by 25-40%.

Of course policing is not in the protected category. Cuts to this degree on top of what is already to be saved and has been cut already is eye watering.

Privatisation and elimination of some services is encouraged apparently. I cannot see how policing can cope with the scale of cuts asked for ??

As I understand it the 40% is a starting figure where negotiations can commence. As such it is not likely to be the final figure. Still anything between the lower and higher figure will be painfull

After 5 years of almost 25% cuts to police budgets, to endure another 5 years of the same or likely even worse is simply unimaginable. Most police forces frontlines are on their knees and barely struggling to cope now before any further cuts, there is no more slack in the system, that was eliminated over the last 5 years. There will have to be some unpalitable decisions made about what the police can and cant do, to carry on as we are doing everything and picking up the shortfalls of other public services is no longer viable. The police service as we know it in 2015 wont exist by 2020. Mass force mergers are the only realistic viable largescale cost saving measure left, higher ranks above Inspector level (largely unscathed so far) need to be depleted as their are to many chiefs and not enough indians. Police officers with less than 10 years service are going to suffer again after enduring a 2 year pay/increment freeze 2011/2012 as it appears Osbourne has announced automatic pay increments are to scrapped altogether for public sector workers. Does that m,ean a PC on say £25k can never get above that unless promoted? The public need to realise the consequences of further cuts of this magnitude to frontline services, Neighbourhood policing will likely be history by 2020. Wouldnt be surpised if it was an immediate response only service with private security contractors doing everything else but only if there is a reasonable profit in it. Watch police recruitment plummett when Joe public realises how police officers are treated. There will as usual be widespread public apathy until services taken granted dissapear before speaking out but by then it will be far to late.   

• Like 2

The talking heads on the BBC were saying on 21/07 that the 40% figure may be there to scare departments into thinking that a 25% cut is acceptable.  

Once again Osborne is allowing political dogma to dominate his plans, with the largest departments being ring fenced leading to deeper cuts being required in every other small department.  It also suits Tory thinking that sees the public sector as bad and the private sector as good, whilst forgetting that many things the public sector do allows the private sector to grow and flourish.

Personally and at the risk of crying wolf, I can't see much more scope for cuts to the police no matter how much collaboration we do with other services, unless we are allowed to merge forces, which of course Ms may is against, ACPO posts get slashed, or if we stop doing certain functions.  Neighbourhood policing is already becoming an endangered species in some areas although the Tories don't seem to realise this and emphasise the few forces that are protecting that area as proof that it can be done, whilst ignoring the point that those forces are slashing other departments such as response, in order to protect neighbourhood.  We are fast heading towards a much more limited police system in the UK which won't have strength in depth and the capacity to answer a national emergency or even region problems.

Unfortunately I don't think the criminally minded would join in and play the part

Who knew that they hated us as much as they do? (ITYO as above)

I don't think it is so much as 'hate' in the normal sense of the word. We were left in deep Poo, financially after the labourites were kicked out 5 years ago which made them look very closely at the finances of the public sector and came to the (possibly misguided) conclusion that the money was being spent on people and services, where it was not in their eyes,  strictly essential. This is what started this ball rolling.

Nor I am so dumb as to believe all their rhetoric, compounded with the theoretical smoke and mirrors and cover ups, to believe that there will not be a reaction to all this. They seem to be on the thinking plane that everything will continue as normal, forgetting that there is a rumbling in the Muslim population with a lot of those feeling disaffected. It only takes a small minority to start something then sit back to watch the fireworks. They also seem to have forgotten the 2012 riots and with less Police numbers it will only go on to prove that you cannot do more with less. They can draft in officers from other areas, but that will leave those areas vunerable

On the other hand, the Labour Party leadership election with that neo-communist Jeremy Corbyn likely to become the new leader, would you like him to be in charge of the countries Police and armed forces? His administration by all accounts would take the country back to the dark ages of Michael foot and the entourage he gathered round him. Corbyn like Foot is a clever man, no doubt, but an utter buffoon at the same time. With Corbyn and his financial policies we would be back deeper in the red than we still are and on the road to financial ruin. If you think the cuts we are going though now, these would be nothing if the damage that could be inflicted had to be repaired yet again.

Even the current 'top table' of the labour party can see the problems that may, sorry no will occur if he becomes leader.

On the other hand it may ensure that Labour are kept out of power for a lot longer.

• Like 2

The bottom line is this;  the cuts being made are all down to the Tories, because they are the ones doing them.  They're using economic circumstances to drive through idealogical dogmas.

We're not going to agree. 

I believe that the Tories hate us, May specifically appears to hate us with a passion. 

The only thing the Tories have done for me is to make me poorer.

It also suits Tory thinking that sees the public sector as bad and the private sector as good, whilst forgetting that many things the public sector do allows the private sector to grow and flourish.

Like education, roads, health care, and policing to mention a few.

The bottom line is this;  the cuts being made are all down to the Tories, because they are the ones doing them.  They're using economic circumstances to drive through idealogical dogmas.

I believe that the Tories hate us, May specifically appears to hate us with a passion. 

I think that its down to the Police saving the Tories bacon back in the 80's.  I don't think the Tories like to be beholden to anyone except big business, so to be constantly reminded about how the police helped them break the miners strike irks them.  It also allowed a culture of impunity and the police being able to do no wrong, which hasn't served us well, given the scandals which keep rearing their ugly heads, particularly when May seems to take great  pleasure in highlighting past failings.

• Like 1

Correct me if I am wrong but, so far No department has been told who will be expected to make any cuts. So far it is just speculation on who, and where.

Correct me if I am wrong but, so far No department has been told who will be expected to make any cuts. So far it is just speculation on who, and where.

Its not speculation when £20bn of cuts are being demanded by the Tories during the next parliament but I'm not sure if that includes the £12bn they expect to come from benefits.  If that is the case then £8bn will   have to be cut from the unprotected departments.  NHS, education, overseas aid and defence and now pretty much ring fenced leaving every other department as fair game.

I hear an increasing number of people complaining about receiving a deteriorating service from the police and, in many cases they are correct. However, I usually point out to them that the reason they are receiving a worse serviced than before is down to cuts in the budgets of police forces which are imposed, justifiably or not. 

I find that police officers are somewhat loathe to take this approach but it is one which most MOPs seem willing to accept and, remember, they have votes and some are not averse to write to the press.

• Like 1

I agree, they are using the economy as a smokescreen to hide their prejudiced feelings towards the public sector in general.

If you are not an enterprising overdriving business person then you are a sponger.

I also think that unless there is a new period of serious disorder which affects large swathes of the public, then the public will not bat an eyelid at our cutbacks as generally most of them don't see us and the times they do they are invariably dissatisfied (maybe due to inflated expectations of what we can do or because we are often too late to sort things).

The Mr Corbyn chap is bad news too because if he becomes the new leader I believe that be the end of the labour party... prepare for another ten or fifteen years of Conservative government.

I believe that the Tories hate us,

Who knew that they hated us as much as they do? 

My mind goes back to  a story that was going round the Met before I retired.  In the wake the Sheehy Inquiry, then the Sheehy Report (which was widely condemned by the police in the UK), a young special adviser, who was 'making his bones' by trying to get these reforms pushed through, (by claiming things like “the police must be reformed as they are the last great unreformed public service") saw his career take a bit of a bashing at the hands of the police when it's recommendations - which he was championing - were rejected by the following Home Secretary Michael Howard,  This up and coming young politico was David Cameron -  I mean, he's not one to hold a grudge, is he ????

Edited by Capt Chaos
  • Like 1

There are 15 hidden replies in this thread that you do not currently have access to as a Guest User of our forum. To unlock the forum register for an account for FREE today by clicking HERE
Sign in to follow this