Sign in to follow this  
plasma

Police pay rise

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/home-office-sets-out-pay-award-for-police-officers

Another 1% from Sept 2015!

And another 4 years to look forward to 1% pay rises - around £20 per month for PC.

It's gonna have a big effect on those on final salary pensions. You can work out approx £380 per year added to current salary equals £1900. So the final salary of PC in 5 years time = £39,200 approx. Whoopeee!.

Inflation currently hovering around 0.1% so an increase 10 time inflation. I'd rather have that than 10% wage increase and 15% inflation.

Average wage for the UK is £26.5k.

Average income for people retiring is £15.8k.

Sent from me using Witchcraft

And of course, when you were in the job, you'd have been thrilled with 1% every year, wouldn't you RM?

Strangely, when we were getting 3% every year nobody ever mentioned inflation. I'm willing to bet you never did.

Until recently inflation was above 1% and between 2012 and this year it was mainly between 2 and 3% so our previous 1% rises were below inflation rise and I'd imagine that within 6 months our new offer will also be below the prevailing inflation rate.

And of course, when you were in the job, you'd have been thrilled with 1% every year, wouldn't you RM?

Strangely, when we were getting 3% every year nobody ever mentioned inflation. I'm willing to bet you never did.

It would have been strange if no one mentioned it. I always compared our pay rise with inflation, and I know I wasn't alone. It's such an obvious thing. A pay rise is only worth anything if it means you can buy at least as much stuff as you could last year.

Whichever way you look at it after a 2 year payfreeze 2011/2012 a 1% rise per year 2013/2014, now followed by a measly 1% rise every year 2015-2019 regrdless of what happens to inflation (and its only going oe way as Mark Carney this week announced - up!) , thats a grand total of 6% increase over 8 years, the public sector has received a paycut in real terms as the inflation figure over the same 8 year period will likely be double this. Add into the mix increased pension contributions which effectively wipe out those meagre increases and by 2019 most public sector pay will be around the same level it was in 2010 in real terms. The public sector has been unfairly targeted especially after already enduring 4 years of cuts and watching MP's get a 10% rise in one go. I know several private sector workers who received between 3% & 5% rises this year alone. Public sector pay is being left behind, even those with union representation can do little or nothing about it. The federation is about as much use as a chocolate fireguard and only sabre rattle to make the members think they are in their corner. So much for the 'independent' police pay review body who rubber stamp every 1% pay increase.

if that £39200 is right one of the uncomfortable things you have recognise is that to reach that sort of pay scale in other 'trades' you have to be middle management and possibly have a basic of much less than that with the rest made up from hard won commission.  When I was a PC in the 90's, my Mrs covered the South East for a well known cosmetic company, supervised a sales staff of around 150, and was paid less than me even if the team hit targets. It's very hard to get sympathy from Joe public against that sort of comparison. I don't doubt there will be responses pointing out the risks and horrible things you see and do, sometimes. I get all that. But it is worth trawling the job sites occasionally for a bit of perspective.    

if that £39200 is right one of the uncomfortable things you have recognise is that to reach that sort of pay scale in other 'trades' you have to be middle management and possibly have a basic of much less than that with the rest made up from hard won commission. When I was a PC in the 90's, my Mrs covered the South East for a well known cosmetic company, supervised a sales staff of around 150, and was paid less than me even if the team hit targets. It's very hard to get sympathy from Joe public against that sort of comparison. I don't doubt there will be responses pointing out the risks and horrible things you see and do, sometimes. I get all that. But it is worth trawling the job sites occasionally for a bit of perspective.

My son just went for promotion managing in a road repair company. Several qualifications required with regular re qualifications. Managing 50-60 staff. Top whack £29k, no company car, private health insurance or any other benefits.

My son just went for promotion managing in a road repair company. Several qualifications required with regular re qualifications. Managing 50-60 staff. Top whack £29k, no company car, private health insurance or any other benefits.

How on earth can you compare this to policing. What restrictions does your son have because of his job, can he live where he works, is he putting his life at risk every day and finally does he have the same skills as a police officer. Police officers are not paid well for what they do and under this government things will only get worse.

• Like 1

How on earth can you compare this to policing. What restrictions does your son have because of his job, can he live where he works, is he putting his life at risk every day and finally does he have the same skills as a police officer. Police officers are not paid well for what they do and under this government things will only get worse.

Well it is RM after all. Compared with the majority, the Police are not badly paid. When we retire we get a pension which is just below the average wage, and that is not bad. We have a struggle with the public's perception of us.

Be fair, RM has not compared it to policing, he responded to Cosmo's post mentioning middle management.

As stated it was showing how middle management in the private sector is not well paid compared to the lowest level of police officers.

As you've brought it up, no he doesn't have the same skills as a police officer, but then again a police officer doesn't have the same skills he does. Having personally acquired policing skills and knowing what he has to achieve to be and remain qualified for his current job I would say he is better skilled than your average cop, mainly different skilled accepted but certainly better.

Oh, and it is well publicised that the fatality rate for road construction workers is one of the highest of all job types, whilst road workers are unlikely to be shot or stabbed they are at serious risk of being hit by other vehicles or seriously injured by machinery.

But that's just me saying it after all.

• Like 1

The pay rise is better than nothing. We are all treading water given. If you want more pay go and do something more lucrative. 

Having said that most who get shown a way to earn extra choose not to anyway I see this in my business I am in outside the job.. 

Policing doesn't even make it into the top 10 of dangerous professions, so try another angle.

Police officers are well paid, with the pension (current 2015 one) and a low retirement age it makes for a very attractive package.

There are 33 hidden replies in this thread that you do not currently have access to as a Guest User of our forum. To unlock the forum register for an account for FREE today by clicking HERE
Sign in to follow this