Sign in to follow this  
OldAfricaHand

Crime lowest since 1981

Sky News is reporting that the Office of National Statistics reports that crime in England and Wales is aat the lowest level since 1981.

I really think that is AMAZING :tongue_cheek:

I am a cynic; so my initial thought is that the evolving process of changes in recording crime etc will continue whichever political party is in power; this will allow them to continue to mislead the public about the justification for the cuts in policing! A sh0rter version of my comment is "Lies, damn lies and statistics!" :tongue_cheek:

• Like 1

Sky News is reporting that the Office of National Statistics reports that crime in England and Wales is aat the lowest level since 1981.

As we all know, with perhaps one exception, not only is it amazing it is unbelievable. For ONS's read Hans Christian Anderson.

Crime at lowest since 1981? Well done us! Tea and biscuits all round...

Just think - that's happened since the Tories started taking money off us and reducing the number of cops............

Just imagine how low recorded crime would be if they dispensed with our services completely...............

• Like 2

As we all know, with perhaps one exception, not only is it amazing it is unbelievable. For ONS's read Hans Christian Anderson.

And you know this for certain, how exactly?

It's odd. OAH didn't post a link, so I couldn't see the Sky News article but I'm guessing it's similar to the BBC News article that ITYO posted. And that said that the ONS had reported an overall 3% rise in crime, with various sections of it having risen more than that - knife crime, sex crimes and fraud. 

It was the Crime Survey that suggested that crime was at its lowest level since 1981 (coincidentally, when the Crime Survey started) but not the ONS.

So ONS have reported a rise in crime, by 3%. However as we all know, with perhaps one exception, not only is it amazing it is unbelievable. For ONS's read Hans Christian Anderson/It's lies, damn lies and statistics/fairy tales etc etc etc.

So what we are all saying is that ONSs figures are rubbish, in which case the conclusion must be that crime has fallen. Excellent news, tea and biscuits all round?

It's odd. OAH didn't post a link, so I couldn't see the Sky News article but I'm guessing it's similar to the BBC News article that ITYO posted. And that said that the ONS had reported an overall 3% rise in crime, with various sections of it having risen more than that - knife crime, sex crimes and fraud. 

It was the Crime Survey that suggested that crime was at its lowest level since 1981 (coincidentally, when the Crime Survey started) but not the ONS.

So ONS have reported a rise in crime, by 3%. However as we all know, with perhaps one exception, not only is it amazing it is unbelievable. For ONS's read Hans Christian Anderson/It's lies, damn lies and statistics/fairy tales etc etc etc.

So what we are all saying is that ONSs figures are rubbish, in which case the conclusion must be that crime has fallen. Excellent news, tea and biscuits all round?

I didn't post a link simply because I didn't have one - I was recounting what I was seeing at the time on a breaking news flash on Sky News (it's on most of the day in our house (when we have power) as it tends to give more immediate news than BBC World or CNN). I was simply reporting what I saw and, I should make it clear the report was that the ONC said that crime was at its lowest since 1981 .............. so I wasn't either attempting to mislead or ignore what was being said - which is the implication in your comment!

No implication at all, it's just that I'm completely unable to find any other reference to that. All the information available confirms that ONS have reported a 3% rise in figures. So, on the basis that you have faithfully posted what you heard, which I don't doubt, the only conclusion is that Sky, not for the first time, have got it wrong and have not bothered to read the source or just didn't understand it.

• Like 1

It was reported on the BBC North West News last night that crime in GMP had seen a rise of 10%, Merseyside and Cumbria a rise of 4%, while Cheshire and Lancashire showed a decrease of 4%.  However knife crime in GMP up 40% Merseyside up 20%.

Does that mean that there has been a decrease in Cheshire and Lancashire, or that it is just harder to actually report a crime there? 

The tories will do anything to ensure that crime stats are shown to be falling as they have a vested interest in not only looking good but to have good reasons as to why they dont need as many police officers. If the public actually reported every single crime that occurred the police service would implode as they would not have the resources to deal with the fallout, they are barely coping now. 

• Like 1

The tories will do anything to ensure that crime stats are shown to be falling as they have a vested interest in not only looking good but to have good reasons as to why they dont need as many police officers. If the public actually reported every single crime that occurred the police service would implode as they would not have the resources to deal with the fallout, they are barely coping now.

However in this case the figures have risen. So how does that affect your argument?

There are 5 hidden replies in this thread that you do not currently have access to as a Guest User of our forum. To unlock the forum register for an account for FREE today by clicking HERE
Sign in to follow this