Sign in to follow this  
Maverick22

ex CC Sim

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-33366223  -

Sounds like she has a 'huge chip on her shoulder' after she was accused of treating male officers the same way as she suggests she was treated.

She was told to apologise to some so there must have been some truth in the story.  

Why didn't she bring the allegations to the fore when she was in the job rather than wait until she had retired.  Sounds if she is rather bitter.

Ms Baird said if she were not retiring, Ms Sim would have been sent on a management training course to "moderate" her style.

The commissioner also said she had directed Ms Sim to apologise to two particular officers.

Edited by Maverick22

So some senior male officers didn't like being shouted at by the (female) boss. Time was the (male) boss rarely didn't shout.

Are people just a tad more sensitive these days?

• Like 1

I don't know if there is a correlation, but we had two detective inspectors with personalities at the opposite end of the spectrum, one ranted and raved to get the job done whilst the other spoke calmly and quietly and didn't bully his staff. There are no prizes for guessing who got the better results (it wasn't the former).

I think in most cases, it is very much the way you approach people and I have in most situations found that the 'bully' type was the less competant and all the bluff and bluster only served to hide the persons shortcomings.

• Like 1

It also begs the question as to why she didn't try to do something about it whilst she had the power to do something?

• Like 1

It also begs the question as to why she didn't try to do something about it whilst she had the power to do something?

Sounds like she did, and then got complained about for her approach. Now she's no longer in charge she can't deal with it hands on so has only this option.

Good luck to Northumbria if they are expecting their new CC to be quiet and retiring.........he's got a good set of bellows on him!

So some senior male officers didn't like being shouted at by the (female) boss. Time was the (male) boss rarely didn't shout.

Are people just a tad more sensitive these days?

Time was that bullying in the workplace was quite common too............thankfully those days are past.

What makes any officer think that they need to shout at another one, irrespective of rank.  The only times I've needed shouting at is during training scenarios when there's been a lot going on.

In an office environment, if somebody thinks that they need to shout at me to express their feelings towards me, then they've just demonstrated a fundamental weakness in temperament, and possibly intelligence, in that they lack the necessary words and education to convey their thoughts effectively.

Nobody need to shouts at me.  If they think they do, then we will both find out something about each other's character.

• Like 2

I seem to recall she was less than impressive whilst at the helm when Raoul Moat was on the loose. In fact, if memory serves, I used the word "wet" more than once when discussing her handling of the media during those few days.