Sign in to follow this  
theBeatguy

Police killed in Canada

globalnews.ca/video/2061095/funeral-procession-through-downtown

He was a member of the Hate Crimes unit and was executing an arrest warrant when the shooter fired 50 rounds through the front door hitting two members.  The bullets went through the neighbours house across the street.

If you search the website you can see the procession and parade.  Over 5000 police officers including from UK came to pay their respects.

May he rest in peace.

I did not know Daniel and had never worked with him, but from what I am tiold by others I would have been proud to have done so.

Perhaps Canada values its officers more to put on sucgh a funeral for a fallen colleague.

R.I.P. Daniel.

• Like 1

I did not know Daniel and had never worked with him, but from what I am tiold by others I would have been proud to have done so.

Perhaps Canada values its officers more to put on sucgh a funeral for a fallen colleague.

R.I.P. Daniel.

The government in Canada also appears to value it's officers more than Cameron and his Government.  R.I.P Daniel.   

• Like 1

I have just been talking to a friend who joined the OPP in Toronto.    Most of Canada has the same sort of benefits for a Wife or Husband of an Officer killed on duty.  His force pays the salary of the deceased as if he was still in the job until her would have reached 60, and the children benefit up to the age of 25.  

Police officers put their lives on the line every day. That became evident last week when three RCMP officers were shot and killed in Moncton, N.B.

All three fallen officers left behind a wife and at least one child, leaving some to wonder about the provisions that exist for the families’ financial futures.

Staff Sgt. Abe Townsend is with the RCMP Staff Relations Representative program, a non-union elected body that represents serving members. He said when an officer dies on the job, the spouse is eligible under the Survivor Income Plan for added benefits.

Townsend said the plan's intent is to guarantee the survivors have a lifetime family income that is equal to what the family would have received if the officer had not been killed as a result of their duties.

The plan calculates the benefits the family receives as a result of the death, including CPP death benefits, any Veterans Affairs Canada awards, and equity in the superannuation plan. All the calculations are made on after-tax amounts.

They then compare that income with the member's after-tax salary and, if necessary, top it up to equal the member's after-tax income.

That continues until the date when the deceased member would have turned 60.

At that point, the amount is re-calculated based on the pension the member would receive, and, if less than the pension, the amount is topped up to that figure.

All RCMP officers have the opportunity to purchase optional group life insurance.

The families of other fallen peace officers get different compensation depending on that employer.

Halifax union contracts

In Halifax, the families of police officers who have been killed in the line of duty receive benefits outlined in their union contract. 

police-dog.jpg

Danny the dog attends the regimental funeral of his partner, Const. Dave Ross, who was shot to death on June 4. (Sean Kilpatrick/Canadian Press)

On top of that, a spouse will receive 70 per cent of the officer's salary. He or she also receives an equivalent amount of any pay raises the officer would have received. 

The spouse receives that additional income until he or she dies. If there is no spouse, the children of the officer will receive that money until they turn 25. 

The funeral costs are also covered by the municipality. 

I bet Cameron and May would have a stroke if they had to compete with Canada.

• Like 4

What is the benefit for a UK spouse and offspring of an officer killed in the line of duty? Why am I afraid I'm not going to like the answer.

Whilst I don't know specifics, I do know that spouses receive some salary benefit, all the pension benefits and other benes for the children up to, I believe, age 24 or 25 (the benefits may even go longer if the children are still pursuing education). I know there are special educational funds for the children of slain officers to pay for college or job training. And sometimes the communities augment benefits with fundraising.