egg

Thames Valley 2015 intake PCSO

Hi, I'm egg.

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I can't see a specific PCSO area :)

Is anyone else going through the recruitment process for Thames Valley Police? I hope there will be enough people joining/getting through in order to start training in September as planned. I'd be interested to know how anyone else is getting along. They seem to have something like a rolling recruitment process.

Also wondering if people were intending to join the regulars at some point. I'd heard that a few people who did so regretted it and wished they'd remained in their PCSO role!

Oops this has double posted? I have no idea how that happened, could a mod please delete one of them? Thanks

Your wish is my command...double post gone.

I would imagine that TVP will be able to recruit enough people to fill a cohort in September but just because they have enough people doesn't mean that the course is guaranteed to start.  Unfortunately financial cut backs are a way of life for all forces which often means delays in the recruitment process, so basically don't count your chickens before they're hatched although I hope you do end up starting on time.

Secondly most of my colleagues who are former PCSOs seem to love the PC role although one or two fall by the wayside, but that's the same for all recruits no matter what their background is.

Hi!

Thanks for the reply. I understand how there could be a possibility of having to wait longer. My current place of work is currently pushing me to advance and commit in a particular direction so I had hoped to have a solid start date at some point!

In the interview it was somewhat expected that I would go on to the regulars in time. The career development is certainly attractive :)

But anyhoo, I'll sit tight and hope hope hope that I pass my fitness test

You will find that a newly appointed PC is lucky if they can match a PCSO (who has several years experience) annual wage, its basically down to the chief constable of each individual force to decide the starting wage between circa £19-£22k. Most time served PCSO's in England/Wales are on more than £22k inc shift allowance. If you start at the lower end it would take you over 3 years to match that PCSO wage. Also over the last 5 years or so, thanks largely to the ongoing cuts and restructures, police officers now have limited roles mainly as response, neighbourhoods, CID and road policing. Civillian roles have expanded dramatically (for better or worse) over the same priod as more police officer roles are civilianised so you have more opportunities to diversify as a civillian officer. My advice given the way things are haeding is to get up the promotion ladder as quick as possible as the days of 30/35 year PC's are over.     

Sorry, but I don't understand your 'as the days of the 30/35 year PCs are over', as you can't all get promotion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It went great, I've been a PCSO since September 2015

I've now started the CKP and looking at moving on into the PC role when they open recruitment. Although I'm kind of stuffed by the restriction - I couldn't apply for the latest intake because you're not allowed to apply for the PC position until you've held the position of PCSO for a year. It makes sense from TVPs perspective because their PCSOs would keep leaving after a few months otherwise.

If you're looking at being a PC in the future, I'd probably advise you not to bother with the PCSO role because you may find it holds you back.

If you want to remain a PCSO or hold that position for a few years, then go for it because it is a very enjoyable role.

Glad to hear your application went well and that you are enjoying the job.

I suppose at least you now know where you are wanting to go and hopefully you can apply at the next recruitment opening.

I have made an application for PCSO just a  waiting game to see if I get invited to assessment centre..............

If you've applied for Thames Valley Police there isn't an assessment centre like other forces. You will have an interview at a local police station of your choice, then the fitness and medical test on two separate dates. That's all there is to it. Good luck!