Sign in to follow this  
Westie

Nine people shot dead

It is being reported that the suspect has now been arrested, thank god for that. I thought that for a moment, he would be shot by police, but fortunately he wasn't. That would be far too good for that low life.

Apparently, people are having a vigil, lets hope that helps them come to terms to things.

More horrific mass shootings. Again I expect gun laws will be looked at for the U.S. I wonder if he was the sort who could procure a firearm illegally if laws were tighter, or just chose that method because it's so easy.

More horrific mass shootings. Again I expect gun laws will be looked at for the U.S. I wonder if he was the sort who could procure a firearm illegally if laws were tighter, or just chose that method because it's so easy.

It is reported that he was given the gun a few weeks ago as a birthday present, by his father.  I am sorry to say that I am not surprised by these firearm outrages in the USA.  Guns laws will be looked at again in ther USA and again, completely ignored.

The Gun Lobby has too much money invested in it. Yet again, money comes before any other issue. :angry:

• Like 2

I just can't get my head round the fact that time and time again we hear of these mass murders in the U.S. yet if someone mentions tightening up on gun laws the citizens of the U.S. go ape about the right to bear arms in the U.S. Constitution. How many innocent people need to die before something is done ?

I suppose guns are so rife there now that to take them off every citizen would be a mammoth task, plus every state would have to come to the same conclusion, which they won't of course.

You are all correct. And what's most disturbing is the number of people in mass killings that happen in houses of worship or schools. No other society, first world or not, would tolerate it's citizens being mindlessly executed. But we'll have a month of soul-searching outrage and tut tutting disgust before it's back to business as usual and Kim Kardasian's new maternity outfit the focus of everyone's attention.

Last weekend there was a big article in the Washington Post on how bra holsters are the new must have fashion item for women with guns, Sheesh :angry:

• Like 1

One of the arguments that the NRA makes is that there aren't enough guns in the country i.e. if everyone was armed then they would be able to shoot back in a situation like the church massacre.  They also called for teachers to be armed so that they could prevent school shootings.

One of the arguments that the NRA makes is that there aren't enough guns in the country i.e. if everyone was armed then they would be able to shoot back in a situation like the church massacre.  They also called for teachers to be armed so that they could prevent school shootings.

WTF ?????

As someone who shoots and owns firearms, the anti-gun lobby are once again missing the point by a country mile. As they did with Hungerford and Dunblane in this country. 

A gun has never killed a single person all on its own. A gun is not a dangerous thing in and of itself. A mishandled weapon, or the same weapon in the hands of a fruit-loop. That's where the problem is. What the US needs to do, and what the UK should have done, is tighten up licensing, not call for guns to be banned.

• Like 3

I agree, but in the US any nut can go out and buy an AK47, or an Ouzie. Most Departments stores have a gun section, walk in and buy.

The incidents in the US and GB have involved people with serious mental issues. Since Hungerford and Dunblane we over reacted and banned far too many weapons. In both of those cases there were serious failures because a firearms certificate should never have been issued. It is strange that, since the tightening of legislation criminal possession and use have spiralled.

WTF ?????

Skydiver is right. That is their stance and argument. And the money and clout of their membership has tendrils that reach into most communities in the US.

I'm not anti-guns, I would just like tighter controls. U.S. Citizens appear to be able to,pop to the shop to buy a new gun, like we would buy a tin of dog food. Clearly unless there were no guns anywhere, there will always be tragedies, but being able to give your boy a new gun for his birthday is just wrong.

I'm not anti-guns, I would just like tighter controls. U.S. Citizens appear to be able to,pop to the shop to buy a new gun, like we would buy a tin of dog food. Clearly unless there were no guns anywhere, there will always be tragedies, but being able to give your boy a new gun for his birthday is just wrong.

We have gun laws, regs, and rules up the wazoo in this country. IMHO two things need to happen, those laws and regs need to be stringently enforced and we need a cultural change in our attitude towards guns. I, too, am not anti-gun. Some object to hunting, I don't. It's rare in this country for hunters to violate their permits.

Roof and others have had law enforcement encounters that should have denied them the right to own a firearm and they still manage to "legally" get ownership. You have jump through more hoops to get a driver's licence than a gun licence and that's wrong. The whole industry of gun shows needs to be stopped. You want to sell guns: set up a shop like everyone else so that state inspectors and police can check your licensing, occupancy and other permits and registries.

Culturally, we need to take the same stance that has been taken successfully on the 3-martini lunch, drunk driving, smoking, and drug use. It may be legal--in that you have the right to do it in certain circumstances defined by law (drunk driving being the exception), but there are social and economic penalties if you do. And the myth, perpetuated by the NRA, that people need guns to keep themselves safe is just that it's a myth. If our education system taught critical thinking skills, more Americans could figure this out from reading the stats. If the AMA would speak out more loudly about the fact that ER doctors have as much experience dealing with gunshot wounds as combat doctors...WTF does that say about our society. Now the NRA will argue that criminals have guns, so citizens need guns, but gun amnesty and buy-back programs haven't exactly failed in getting illegal guns off the streets. And as it has been repeatedly pointed out, the NRA omits  the crucial bit about the necessity of arming people to form the militia for the defense of the community from its quote of the 2nd Amendment. We aren't living in the 1760's or the 1790's. Every state and territory has a militia. Every jurisdiction has an armed police force. No place in the US is like Damascus or 10K other places in the world where we are fighting for or against an armed insurrection or staging a revolution. For what reason does anyone in this country need to be armed to drive to the local Diary Queen? How is it that I can walk into Walmart buy a deodorant, some chips, and an assault rifle w/ ammo?

There needs be a rethinking of the notion that owning a gun makes you protected, powerful or gives you street cred. The reality is you are more likely to end up killing someone, being killed, or in jail.

There are 7 hidden replies in this thread that you do not currently have access to as a Guest User of our forum. To unlock the forum register for an account for FREE today by clicking HERE
Sign in to follow this