Sign in to follow this  
Zulu 22

Devon & Cornwall Reduce Crime

Devon and Cornwall find a new way of reducing crime. We all know that occasionally you get someone who drives off without paying by forgetfullness. Strange that those cases are so few and far between that they are an exception.  Meanwhile most drive offs are done deliberately. It is the new way of making money.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3104201/Petrol-theft-s-not-crime-say-police-Officers-Devon-Cornwall-said-not-investigate-incidents-unless-proof-criminal-intent.html

Blimey, I've heard of 'massaging' crime figures, but this seems to be beating them down with a stick. :huh:

Crime has fallen in Devon & Cornwall because we've decided that theft is no longer a crime. :doh1:

How do they know there was 'no criminal intent' unless they investigate. A real chicken and egg situation if I ever saw onee

Well done Devon and Cornwall. For long enough I've advocated that people simply pre pay for their fuel, the technology is already in place - simples. The petrol stations refuse to enforce the technology due to their own agenda. Personally I'm fed up of being a debt recovery service for these often multi national companies when I could be doing real police work; usually they are genuine errors on the part of the motorist. When cars were regularly TWOC for example the car manufacturing industry adapted and put in measures to stop it happening - it's called crime prevention. I could cite many more examples. If  a car manufacturer doesn't want a car stealing it doesn't leave the car on the forecourt with the keys in the ignition and a sign saying 'Having chosen your car please come in and pay for it before driving off' do they.    

• Like 1

Well done Devon and Cornwall. For long enough I've advocated that people simply pre pay for their fuel, the technology is already in place - simples. The petrol stations refuse to enforce the technology due to their own agenda. Personally I'm fed up of being a debt recovery service for these often multi national companies when I could be doing real police work; usually they are genuine errors on the part of the motorist. When cars were regularly TWOC for example the car manufacturing industry adapted and put in measures to stop it happening - it's called crime prevention. I could cite many more examples. If  a car manufacturer doesn't want a car stealing it doesn't leave the car on the forecourt with the keys in the ignition and a sign saying 'Having chosen your car please come in and pay for it before driving off' do they.    

Bilking, or making off without payment is theft. Theft is a criminal offence and as such a victim is entitled to have that crime recorded and investigated.  They are not usually genuine errors.  I do not have the exact figures but from experience I would estimate that the percentage of genuine errors is less than 1%.  In those cases they usually return to the gargage as soon as they have realisedtheir mistake.

Not recording a crime is a straight neglect of duty.

• Like 1

A problem created by the industry when they went self service, with little or no chance of a successful prosecution unless there is evidence of intent, so police have been used as debt collectors since 1968.     

I appreciate Cosmo's and Anticondem's arguments but putting them to one side for now, by saying D&C won't investigate bilkings will give bilkers the green light to go mad with the crime so the number of incidents will go up.  I use the word 'incidents' on this thread given that D&C don't look at it as a crime.

Bilking, or making off without payment is theft. Theft is a criminal offence and as such a victim is entitled to have that crime recorded and investigated.  They are not usually genuine errors.  I do not have the exact figures but from experience I would estimate that the percentage of genuine errors is less than 1%.  In those cases they usually return to the gargage as soon as they have realisedtheir mistake.

Whilst I can see your point Zulu, other less informed people who read this may not be realise that a Bilking / Making off without payment is an offence contrary to Sec 3 Theft act 1978, whereby Theft is a seperate offence contrary to Sec 1 Theft act 1968. 

However, back to the conversation. If you don't investigate how can you prove/ disprove any criminal intent? Rather brave of D & C to make that policy let alone publicise it. On the flip side- how many filling stations have reminders on the pump to say make sure you have sufficient means of paying before filling up??

• Like 2

Actually, as I understand it, the theft act 1968 did not actually have an section offence which covered the offence as we know it. The reason being persons were invited onto the forcourt to draw fuel. If they then drove away without paying then it was not actually a criminal offence and restitution had to be claimed via a civil action. That is one of the reasons when the Theft Act 1978 was formulated, it included a specific offence of making off without payment to cover the earlier ommision.

Yes it was brought in the 1978 Theft Act to close a legal loophole, and only gave a limited power of arrest. I should have specified 1978. The fact remains that it is a criminal offence and Devon and Cornwall should remember who they are here to serve, the thief or the victim.

Absolutely! There is just no excuse for not dealing with an allegation. An extreme dereliction of duty which they are sworn to observe. Just why is the PCC or Mrs may not making any comment?

Absolutely! There is just no excuse for not dealing with an allegation. An extreme dereliction of duty which they are sworn to observe. Just why is the PCC or Mrs may not making any comment?

Because we're doing more with less :thumbup3:

From my experience I would estimate that genuine errors is over 50% - I must work in a more honest part of the UK. I agree that people who have had crime prevention advice and choose to ignore it for their own agenda should certainly still expect to have their crime recorded - but likewise should equally expect the police to dictate/prioritise to what extent it is investigated dependant upon other factors also taken into the round such as the seriousness of an offence. My recollection is that (3i) the prevention of crime comes before (3ii) the detection of crime and whilst I'm dragged off mopping up after utterly avoidable civil debts or minor make offs I can't be engaged with far more important matters such as (1) the protection of life and property or (2) keeping the Queen's Peace can I. I have zero sympathy for people when a simple solution is in front of them and they cynically choose to ignore it. My precious FINITE time and resource after I've dealt with (1) and (2) should be better utilised investigating crime committed against the more vulnerable and unsuspecting victims that I encounter of which there are many.

• Like 3

There are 49 hidden replies in this thread that you do not currently have access to as a Guest User of our forum. To unlock the forum register for an account for FREE today by clicking HERE
Sign in to follow this