Cosmo Smallpiece

Commutation 2000 to 2006. One for 10 to 15 year pensioneers.

With huge apologies to readers disadvantaged by changes to the pension .. If you retired between around 2001 and 2006, this will be of interest. In short your commutation sum was not properly calculated.  A test case brought by a fireman has been upheld by the Pensions Ombudsman.

http://www.narpo.org/index.php/pensions/police-pensions.html 

With huge apologies to readers disadvantaged by changes to the pension .. If you retired between around 2001 and 2006, this will be of interest. In short your commutation sum was not properly calculated.  A test case brought by a fireman has been upheld by the Pensions Ombudsman.

http://www.narpo.org/index.php/pensions/police-pensions.html 

HMG to honour an agreement made? Why didn't they simply re-write the legislation (again).

• Like 1

I was speaking to a work colleague who retired within that time period. He believes he is likely to receive about £20k, if it works out, plus an extra bit monthly in his pension. Nice if they get it, which they certainly should.

A similar situation occurred with my public sector pension (which was based on the Civil Service scheme) for precisely the same reasons. After almost six years of receiving my pension (I took it at 50) I received a significant lump sum (tax-free) and an addition to my monthly pension. But what was important about it was that I had to specifically opt to have my pension reviewed (although I believe no-one actually ever got a reduced pension as a result of the "review") So I hope all those Police pensioners concerned are similarly blessed :D

Info. for those who may be entitled to an adjustment, I spoke to the Met's. pensions branch this morning after reading these posts, and I was told that if you retired within the applicable period, you will be contacted by them when the time comes, although they do not know exactly when that is yet.

The test case firefighter has been paid out.  But, the revised commutation tables have not yet been released into the public domain.

• Like 1

Got my letter yesterday from my ex-force telling me how much and when it's due to arrive, so the wheels are turning.

Spent it six different ways already, none of them sensible.

My ex force reckons that they haven't had the final wording of the disclaimer sorted yet. Hopefully won't be long. Not sure of the sums involved but hopefully will get a little back. Retired October 2006.

My ex force reckons that they haven't had the final wording of the disclaimer sorted yet. Hopefully won't be long. Not sure of the sums involved but hopefully will get a little back. Retired October 2006.

Sorry,missed this. I retired in Feb 05 and was pleasantly surprised at the result, more than 'a little'. 

Info. for those who may be entitled to an adjustment, I spoke to the Met's. pensions branch this morning after reading these posts, and I was told that if you retired within the applicable period, you will be contacted by them when the time comes, although they do not know exactly when that is yet.

Further to the above from five months ago, just a quick update for any ex Met out there who fall into this category.  Bumped in to an ex colleague yesterday, and apart from putting the world to rights, he told me he had been in touch with the Met Pension Branch on Friday about this and they told him that they were still putting together a list of the people that qualify and then they will then send them a letter that will inform them what is happening.  He was informed that although Pensions Branch  have been told to have this sorted out by the end of the current financial year, March 2016, they think it might take longer than this, as it involves thousands of people having their individual pensions re worked.  They could not give any kind of time guideline.     

Sorry,missed this. I retired in Feb 05 and was pleasantly surprised at the result, more than 'a little'. 

Well heres hoping. So do i take it that the force that you were with has sorted out your figures? or even paid out?

Likewise. Letter recd. from the Met. giving all figures. The only thing I don't understand is that the payment won't be made to me until March 2016 according to the letter, so it must be true. Either way, the figure is not to be sneezed I can assure you.

There are 16 hidden replies in this thread that you do not currently have access to as a Guest User of our forum. To unlock the forum register for an account for FREE today by clicking HERE