PoliceUK

Australian Police and Law Enforcement

G'Day Mate, 'ows it goin'?

On a recent trip to WA, I was driving along a 110Kph highway known as Tompkin.

I was amused to see a sign saying, "You've just passed a Speed Camera!"

I liked how the signage was after the camera...(I wasn't speeding)

It's very different here where motorists are warned several times before the camera.

I seldom noticed any speeding motorists in Australia.

Pity about their lane discipline though.....There isn't any!smiley5.gif

G'Day Mate' date=' 'ows it goin'?

On a recent trip to WA, I was driving along a 110Kph highway known as Tompkin.

I was amused to see a sign saying, "You've just passed a Speed Camera!"

I liked how the signage was after the camera...(I wasn't speeding)

It's very different here where motorists are warned several times before the camera.

I seldom noticed any speeding motorists in Australia.

Pity about their lane discipline though.....There isn't any!smiley5.gif[/quote']

I'm going good thanks Mate.

WA is indeed a large State and we like to tell the Texan's that the Western Australia Police has the largest police jurisdiction in the world.smiley1.gif

You seldom noticed any speeding motorists in Australia!!smiley3.gif  You must have been travelling out in the Bush where there was very little traffic!!

Speed Cameras have been responsible for speed reduction in many Australian States, however, there is now the public perception that the State Governments are now using them as 'Revenue Raisers'

They say that motorists in each State, drive differently, they say that Melbourne and Sydney drivers are very aggressive and impatient. Whereas in the other less populated States, the drivers are slower and more patient.

Who knows?smiley33.gif  

Hiya. WA is certainly much more relaxed and easy going than NSW and Victoria. I did feel your speed limits are set a bit too slow for your wider, straighter and quieter roads.

Many of your roads have 80K signage. Over here you'd expect between 60-70 MPH.

Have heard Aussi Police are much stricter for speeders even a few K's over. As a general rule of thumb...(I wonder if I should admit) UK police won't "normally" pull over speeding motorists in an unmarked up to about 90MPH on a motorway.

What I meant was your Highways are usually restricted to 110KPH, but was amazed motorist's don't sit around 140.

OK I appreciate each country has different issues. We don't have media broadcasts allerting motorist's of speed traps in specific areas throughout the day........it would spoil the fun!!!

smiley1.gif

I know this story is two years old but it shows that you've got your priorities right!

Australian police warn 'beer wenches'
Friday, January 9 2004 14:58 Hrs (IST)

blank.gif

Australian police have warned "beer wenches" -- scantily-clad women hired by cricket fans to queue at the bar for alcohol -- that they would not be welcome at the one-day international seriesMelbourne: Australian police have warned "beer wenches" scantily-clad women hired by cricket fans to queue at the bar for alcohol that they would not be welcome at the One-day International series with India beginning in Melbourne.

Fans pay the women up to 70 dollars an hour to buy drinks so they can concentrate on the game but police fear the practice contributes to binge drinking and drunkenness.

The women first appeared at Test matches last year and police believe they will be offering their services at the One-dayers, which traditionally attract a more rowdy crowd than the five-day version of the game.

While authorities are powerless to ban the women outright, they can prosecute them if they are found to be serving alcohol to anyone who is intoxicated.

Victoria state superintendent Mick Williams said police would keep a watchful eye over any beer wenches at the One-day series opener between Australia and India at the Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG), which is expected to attract a crowd of 60,000.

"Anyone caught supplying alcohol to intoxicated patrons faces eviction and possible prosecution," he said.

At least five women were ejected from the fifth Test between Australia and England in Sydney last week, four for irresponsibly serving alcohol and one for offensive behaviour.

Police have also been handed increased powers to clamp down on bad behaviour during the One-day series, with the fine for pitch invasion increased from 1,000 dollars to 6,000 dollars.

About 300 people were ejected from last year's opening One-dayer featuring Australia against England at the MCG.

Hi I think its better to stay in UK, because its better to be close to Europe, and things in UK are pretty good, you have good food, good TV, the pensions are good, the proximity to Europe is good, and you have some very outstanding beautiful places. also the shopping in UK is outstanding, I mean you get some real bargains these days. The police as a career is pretty good in the UK, good time off, good pensions, if you go overseas you just don't know what you will get into.

Hi I think its better to stay in UK' date='................... [/quote']

G'day Vladimir, There are hundreds of ex UK Police Officers now serving in Australian Police Forces who would disagree with you.smiley1.gif

Mate' date=' i am one of them, its great over here, they do crackdown on speeders, so what? i wouldnt return to the job in the uk for all the tea in china![/quote']

Good on you and best wishes for the future.

So now your in WA, what's it like?? My wife and two year old son are seriously considering submitting our applications to WAPOL, before the closing date on the 31/07.

As usual, one side of me says do it, you havew everything to gain, the other says, "but what if......................."

Whats life like in the police over there, your thoughts experience would be greatly receivedsmiley1.gif

M wife and I are both Met cops and have had enough. Its falling apart in Britain with nothing to offer to those of us that are left who work hard and play hard. Not only that my son deserves a better chance than whats on offer here.................kids stabing kids, kids slapping adults, teachers getting attacked, parents backing up kids out of control, I could go on................its anarchy!!!smiley36.gif

But in all seriousness...........whats life and policing like in Western Australia???

So now your in WA' date=' what's it like?? My wife and two year old son are seriously considering submitting our applications to WAPOL, before the closing date on the 31/07. [/quote']

Get it in quick!!! DO IT!!

My mate in our office is flying next week. He's off to Two Rocks but cant remember if its to live and/or work from. It took him over a year to process immigration and WAPOL selection and a hell of a sleepless last month waiting for d**khead property conveyancing solicitors to ruin it all. Not for me personally...TOOOOOOO HOT!!! smiley11.gifsmiley2.gif    

There are 12 hidden replies in this thread that you do not currently have access to as a Guest User of our forum. To unlock the forum register for an account for FREE today by clicking HERE