Sign in to follow this  
skydiver

Retail crime in UK at 10-year high, industry report says

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-30889846

The report found:

• there were 698,184 offences resulting in loss or damage to property in 2013-14, but said the true figure is more like 3 million
  • customer theft made up the bulk of the criminal activity, accounting for 81% of all incidents
  • retailers reported a total of 135,814 incidents of fraud, up 12% on the previous financial year
  • there were five robberies per 100 stores in 2013-14, a 29% decrease but the cost per robbery fell only marginally, from £1,316 per incident in 2012-13 to £1,280 per incident in 2013-14
  • retailers reported 58,014 incidents of violence and abuse

But remember the government mantra 'CRIME IS FALLING....POLICE DO MORE WITH LESS'

I think George Orwell expressed it well

• And if all others accepted the lie which the Party imposed -if all records told the same tale — then the lie passed into history and became truth. 'Who controls the past,' ran the Party slogan, 'controls the future: who controls the present controls the past.' And yet the past, though of its nature alterable, never had been altered. Whatever was true now was true from everlasting to everlasting. It was quite simple. All that was needed was an unending series of victories over your own memory. 'Reality control', they called it: in Newspeak, 'doublethink'.

• Like 2

Didn't I read somewhere some chap in the Met saying that we might not have to investigate shop theft cos there are 'more important' crimes to invest resources in?

I can't remember who it was.

• Like 1

Didn't I read somewhere some chap in the Met saying that we might not have to investigate shop theft cos there are 'more important' crimes to invest resources in?

I can't remember who it was.

Winsor said something similar but insisted that he had been misinterpreted. :clap:

Kevin Hurley, PCC of Surrey attacking police cuts and Winsor on TV now. Quoted Winsor saying shoplifters should not be dealt with by the police. Also stated that he will have to lose 500 members of stuff over the next 2 years, and the Govt are cutting the public sector in the wrong place, namely policing.

In a striking coincidence, Surrey are currently advertising for Response and Neighbourhood transferees.

I agree, who said crime is going down. Crime is going up which is shown in the report. Shoplifting is theft which is a crime, but perhaps not accepted as such by the Home Office and those dreaded Statistics mandarins.

Many retailers in our force deal with the matter themselves now as getting an officer to attend can sometimes be several hours , tying up at least 2 members of staff for that time ..... these crimes are never recorded . I also spoke to a manager of a large national DIY store who had been away from this specific store who said while he had been away they had been having stock shortages of an average of £10k a WEEK ! None had been reported to the police due to the delays and whats the point , no punishment , ages spent giving statements CCTV issues etc .

! None had been reported to the police due to the delays and whats the point , no punishment , ages spent giving statements CCTV issues etc .

So what do the shops want...instant justice without the inconvenience of providing evidence?  

To be honest, I'm more concerned about the reported rise in roads deaths, though Sky and BBC don't seem to have found a way to blame this on lazy, incompetent cops so haven't featured it yet.

Many retailers in our force deal with the matter themselves now as getting an officer to attend can sometimes be several hours , tying up at least 2 members of staff for that time ..... these crimes are never recorded . .

Then the public are being let down by forces who abrogate their responsibility. Shoplifting is a crime committed by criminals, who are laughing at the Police and getting away with. That is one reason why there are shoplifting gangs, and why crime figures are a joke. I can never recall seeing a undetected shoplifting being reported.

As for a rise in road deaths I read that they were on the decrease. Their is certainly a decrease in traffic prosecutions for certain offences because man Traffic Departments have been slashed to the bone, indirectly thanks to Ms May and her Butler Winsor.

• Like 1

Then the public are being let down by forces who abrogate their responsibility. Shoplifting is a crime committed by criminals, who are laughing at the Police and getting away with. That is one reason why there are shoplifting gangs, and why crime figures are a joke. I can never recall seeing a undetected shoplifting being reported.

As for a rise in road deaths I read that they were on the decrease. Their is certainly a decrease in traffic prosecutions for certain offences because man Traffic Departments have been slashed to the bone, indirectly thanks to Ms May and her Butler Winsor.

IIRC according to Police Oracle there was a 3% increase in road casualties last year.  The question is, is that linked to a decrease in RPU officers?  Could it be that less officers means less traffic investigations and prosecutions meaning that more bad driving goes unpunished leading to a few more poor drivers having RTC with a small % of those proving fatal.  At the same time the chances of getting caught using a hand held mobile device reduce also leading to more RTCs and another small increase in fatalities.   

So what do the shops want...instant justice without the inconvenience of providing evidence?  

No just not waiting for days after the event , punishment not fitting the crime , like £50 compensation when the thief stole £380 of perfume and none recovered , £20 fine and Six Black and Decker drills stolen , none recovered , being two local examples ....

One specific company with many local supermarkets would report at least half of the shop liftings a week , they had security staff who would rewind the cctv find the thief and tell the police ..... all the thieves were stealing food and selling on on the the estates where these thieves and shops were . Selling stuff at half price , the thieves couldn't keep up , you know Washing gels tablets, cheese bacon meat joints razor blades ..... All this involved statements cctv circulating stills locating offender etc ..... Very productive but with the unit who dealt with these sort of things half their time was spent dealing with this companies crimes .... Their advice to their management was not to confront or stop thieves and report after they were gone ! No wonder they were top of the thieves list !

Edited by Pigman

No just not waiting for days after the event , punishment not fitting the crime , like £50 compensation when the thief stole £380 of perfume and none recovered , £20 fine and Six Black and Decker drills stolen , none recovered , being two local examples ....

One specific company with many local supermarkets would report at least half of the shop liftings a week , they had security staff who would rewind the cctv find the thief and tell the police ..... all the thieves were stealing food and selling on on the the estates where these thieves and shops were . Selling stuff at half price , the thieves couldn't keep up , you know Washing gels tablets, cheese bacon meat joints razor blades ..... All this involved statements cctv circulating stills locating offender etc ..... Very productive but with the unit who dealt with these sort of things half their time was spent dealing with this companies crimes .... Their advice to their management was not to confront or stop thieves and report after they were gone ! No wonder they were top of the thieves list !

Half of their complaint is with the Mags then when they are unhappy with the punishment.  

As for 'waiting for days' if the theft was only discovered after the event is there anything to be gained from sending a PC or PCSo round straight away to get a statement and CCTV? If a well known thief was involved and was spotted straight away then it would be worthwhile however if they're not known and weren't seen at the time would there be much realistically to gain by sending someone round immediately?  All that would happen in that case would be to distribute stills from the CCTV in the hope that someone would recognise the suspect and would be prepared to name them, that is if a good enough still could be taken from the footage.   Even when the theft is discovered immediately, if the suspect isn't a known face or isn't spotted around town straight away, what is the point of getting the paperwork then and there when it could be done slow time?  Sometimes shops have to be realistic about what can be achieved and what is a proportionate response.  I'm not saying that we should not respond or even to treat theft as a low priority but we need to provide a realistic response.

As others have pointed out there are a lot of organised gangs targeting shops and doing well organised large scale country wide thefts.  At the moment the police response is only touching the tip of the iceberg and is only catching the unlucky shoplifters not the experienced ones or the organisers.  We nationally are not well equipped to respond to that sort of theft as it needs joined up intel systems and cross force coordination to tackle it.

As for the shops themselves my force has a policy of getting the store d's and staff to disrupt shoplifters before they steal goods then to pass obs to other shops to continue the chance to disrupt them.

Some days the same shop would report five thefts all by different people , other days one shop would have the same offender in three times stealing , but also they would also store them up and tell us at the end of the week , same suspect steals four times in a week , one crime report ! How's that right ?

There are 95 hidden replies in this thread that you do not currently have access to as a Guest User of our forum. To unlock the forum register for an account for FREE today by clicking HERE
Sign in to follow this