Pigman

Paris Murders

I've not seen any news today. This is horrendous! All these animals have to do is get on a ferry and come over with their weapons, who checks the borders these days? Who gets stopped at ports?

Very disturbing!

[link to footage removed]

Don't know what to say ?

I know what you mean Pigman. There he is, alive one minute and dead the next. When the hell will all this unwanted killing stop throughout the world. I don't want to sound selfish at all, but let's hope that it doesn't spread to the streets of the UK, or perhaps it has, in the form of what happened to Lee Rigby.

I've not seen any news today. This is horrendous! All these animals have to do is get on a ferry and come over with their weapons, who checks the borders these days? Who gets stopped at ports?

Very disturbing!

I'm a cynic; so I doubt there is a need for any cross-channel travel - there will be individuals in UK who would see this sort of action as "justified" retaliation for allegedly poking fun at a religious figurehead. As Westie said, the Lee Rigby murder was the wake-up call that UK needed.

Such a sad event.

People,

I've removed footage of the murder of a fellow police officer.  It's graphic, disgusting and terribly sad.  If you feel a need to see it, then you can search for it elsewhere.

• Like 10

This type of incident could so easily happen in the UK.

Condolences to the family, colleagues and friends of our French fallen colleagues, who responded to this critical incident and lost their lives. Condolences too to the family, colleagues and friends of the staff of Charlie Hebdo, who were quite simply, murdered. I hope the gunmen, who are still outstanding, are caught quickly before they can carry our further attacks,

We need to be more alert in the UK.

• Like 4

It appears that the newspaper was targeted because of perceived insults to Mohammed. Thar can never be the reason to justify terrorist attacks on anybody. You have to wonder if Islam, or parts of Islam, or Christianity have learned anything from history.

• Like 3

If you cast your mind back 300-400 years in the days of Cromwell and before, the religeous intolleranc that went on was as bad as this and possibly worse.

Beheadings in public, hand drawing and quartering, heads on pikes at the edges of the towns, burning at the stake, and a few more besides. We have come on a bit since then so where does this put the horrendous acts seen to be carried our by the the terrorists?

Well at least 350 years behind the ages is one answer I could give!

But the big difference today is there is the facility of the Internet to get their message over, to plan their next attack using smart phones, the far greater ease of travel world wide and of course the ubiquitious AK47! Far more deadly than the musket, sword or bow and arrow. I simply don't know the answer, except that the world governments will have to wake up and deal with them for a long time to come.

The 'phone companies, ISP's, whatever, world wide, should be MADE to close down any usage of the facilities where acts of terrorism are involved in any capacity. Press and the other media should not give then the oxygen of publicity and severely censured if they do.

Edited by BIkerider
  • Like 1

Just remember that for many the religion of Islam is a religion of peace and tolerance but for a small minority it is a religion of violence, misogyny, intolerance and a lack of understanding and sense of humour.  To the former I say Asslam Walaikum but my greeting to the latter but break forum rules, but suffice it to say that an apt response might be more cartoons poking fun at their intolerance.

• Like 3

It's a complete atrocity, an entire editing team murdered along with a police officer who it appears begged for his life. I can't imagine the fear they experienced. I lose sleep troubled with these incidents and truly fear for our children's futures.

• Like 2

People,

I've removed footage of the murder of a fellow police officer.  It's graphic, disgusting and terribly sad.  If you feel a need to see it, then you can search for it elsewhere.

Well done ITYO. Who on earth wants to see footage like that. The officer, at the end of the day, was a colleague of ours after all, albeit in another country. To all those officers here in the UK, be safe whether it's earlies, lates or nights. Take nothing for granted, but then i'm talking to the converted. Sorry to invade your post to say that ITYO, I just wanted to get it off my chest. :angry:  :angry:

• Like 1

This seems incredibly well planned and executed. I don't know how readily available those weapons are in France but it's worrying that it's only 20 miles across the Channel. Condolences to those affected and the people of France as a whole.

Edited by mummypatrol

This seems incredibly well planned and executed. I don't know how readily available those weapons are in France but it's worrying that it's only 20 miles across the Channel. Condolences to those affected and the people of France as a whole.

France has a soft underbelly in its Mediterranean coast and more or less anything can be smuggled through this area. AK47s are plentiful in Africa (their street cost in South Africa is around US$ 60 - 80 although in past years many changed hands for as little as US$20); so getting them into UK would not be much of a problem (indeed, despite the "de-commissioning" exercise overseen by a Canadian, there may still be many around from the shipments Gadaffi made to the PIRA in the 70s & 80s).

It now seems that one of the two murdered Police Officers was himself a Moslem. Condolences to both officers' families, friends & colleagues; both officers died defending one of the principal rights in a civilised society - Free Speech - but, at this time, that can be of little consolation to the bereaved.

May both officers Rest In Peace

Edited by OldAfricaHand
  • Like 2

It's baffling that one of the journalists had a protection officer, but there does not appear to have been any security at the building, despite a long history of threats to the magazine. It has been confirmed on the news this morning that the attack (and also the murder of Lee Rigby) was very well planned and supported by an external terrorist organisation.

The other (predictable) outcome has been that the far right is now all over this and I suspect there will be both official and unofficial repercussions. I'm no expert on France but it does seem as though community relations there have historically been very strained.

There are 53 hidden replies in this thread that you do not currently have access to as a Guest User of our forum. To unlock the forum register for an account for FREE today by clicking HERE