careerlid

Could the last one out...

But remember crime is falling, government reforms are working and more young lemmings want to join the police than disillusioned, over worked and demoralised officers want to leave.

Seriously, they should be worried about this. Inexperienced officers carry out a huge number of first contacts with the public, and if they miss important issues such as safeguarding, the outcome can be a disaster.

• Like 3

As a Supervisor I am seeing many new people coming into the Met. They are poorly trained so they turn up frustrated. After a few months many are so disillusioned they are already thinking of going. In the last few years I have seen accelerated-promotion candidates going, all told me because it was not what they were promised! I also see a lot of people eking out their 2 years probation as they can then state they were qualified Police Officers on their CV. I recently spoke to a retiring PS who is responsible for recruitment. His comments were "God help you, with the standard of recruit". When I queried why he was letting them in he replied he finds it impossible to turn them down under current rules. The system wants them in , then it's up to Supervisors to get rid of them before their probation is out. He also mentioned the Met is pushing through 200-300 every fortnight to meet Boris's pledge. However once Boris is gone from Mayor then the Met is looking to reduce from 32000 to 22000-ish. Lots of pain forthcoming!

Even my peers with 20+ service are looking elsewhere. Having unsuccessfully gone through the promotion process for the last 5 years I will not waste time on it again. Especially when 2 Borough Commanders (Chief Supts) told me it doesn't matter how well you do the job it's all down to how you write an application form. I will spend my time,energy and money looking at an external qualification so if/when I come into the frame for whatever form of redundancy may rear it's ugly head I will be ready. I have already had conversations with others about life outside and transferable skills. The golden handcuff of a "gold-plated" pension was removed long ago. I expect to have to work to State Retirement Age whether I stay in or not so I may as well enjoy the rest of my working career wherever it lies

• Like 3

This survey shows that Tom Winsor was a disaster, and still is. ACPO are working to approve morale? you must be joking. It is rather ironic that the ACPO spokesman, Cur Peter Fahy talks about this and acute shortages and yet he is proposing cuts or around 500 officers. Tom Winsor was a disaster, Peter Fahy is a disaster and 90% of Chief Officers are a disaster.  It is those ranks that are lemmings pushing the forces to near destruction.

The next proposal will be a National Force so that they can fill shortages in the Met, and Cities at the expense of the county areas, which already have an almost non existent coverage.

It is not worth the last one out turning the light out as there is no bulb in the light fitting.

As one who served his full 30 it makes me so angry to see what the establishment are doing to the Police Service I loved. I would also condemn the standard of officer recruited over the last few years, not everyone but a  too high a percentage. There are far too many who have no pride in their appearance and that must also say much about their supervisors, oops sorry line management. :angry:

• Like 2

missed the edit cut off time but would have edited.

Edit - Having  just read the previous post I see agreement about the present day recruit as not being fit for purpose. They are also over recruiting female officers which also makes me sexist and a male chauvanist pig, even though it is honest statement.  How long will it be before a full PSU has no males officers and face 500 militants.

And there's more pain to come.

There is another traunch of public sector cuts on it's way in 2016-2018.

I recently heard that my force will possibly have another 62m to cut.....from where?? We already have centralised into PFI hubs.....the only area to cut is staff.....funnily there are no plans to cut SLT or COG or IT investments!!

I can see the future will be similar to the French system. Low paid cannon fodder for the frontline shift worker dealing with the initial call with no investigative kills and a civillian army of higher paid investigators. The omni competant Constable will dead and buried.

Morale is not on any agenda...."there's the door thousands want your job" is the usual answer....nobody seems to care.

My advice for anyone fed up is get out now or go and do a qualification to better your job prospects. There is life out there. I just don't know how the Police service can be awarded these Investors in People awards....it's a joke!

Edited by Msportman

It was Bramshill and now the Police College who have produced Senior Officers who have little knowledge of the ground spade work but believe that they know all. As we were told time after time at training school theory and practice are poles apart. This has produced dummies over the last 25 years.  It will take a similar time to reverse that by officers starting as Constable's and working their way up the ladder on merit.

• Like 1

4 years, 5 months and 27 days to get to 30. Not that I'm counting.

I am sad to say these days but I can't wait to get out.

Sick of the politics, Sick of scrappy 'Mandatory' NCALT crap tick box learning.

• Like 2

I would imagine that a similar survey done in the NHS, social services or local government would probably lead to similar results.    HMG has spent 4 years paying lip service to these workers , praising their hard work and dedication in public then cutting wages, changing pensions, slashing jobs and budgets and reorganisation management. Its no wonder that moral is falling and people are looking elsewhere for jobs.

• Like 1

I would imagine that a similar survey done in the NHS, social services or local government would probably lead to similar results.    HMG has spent 4 years paying lip service to these workers , praising their hard work and dedication in public then cutting wages, changing pensions, slashing jobs and budgets and reorganisation management. Its no wonder that moral is falling and people are looking elsewhere for jobs.

Met one of my old Sergeants last week and he was pleased to tell me that he is now under 365 days to go.  He told me I was right when I said that the job was fornicated.  I told him I had left the light on at the end of the tunnel just for him and I advised him how to cut down the 300 and something working days left to do. :P

The problem with this report on the BBC website is that it only saying that police morale is low due the cuts and the removeal of some special payments, expenses and allowances. Do we really think that members of the public will give a toss that cops are losing some expenses. will they hell. 

It doesnt tell them that the service has been cut that fine that officers are running from job to job and cannot provide a service that they would want to give to the British public. It doesnt tell them that police officers have had their pension contribution inflated to 14.5% of the pay.  It also doesnt tell them that officers like every other public service have had a pay freeze for the past few years . It also doesnt tell the public that officers along with other public sector workers have only been given a 1% pay rise, and they will only get a 1% for the next few years .....unlike MP's that have just awarded themselves a 11% payrise that they could noyt turn down as it was recommended by a "independant" review panel that was made of MP's that will all benefit.

These are the sort of things the National Federation should be bringing to the attention of the public, if this was widely known by the general populace they just might start to realise why morale is as low as a snakes belly.

• Like 1

4 years, 5 months and 27 days to get to 30. Not that I'm counting.

I am sad to say these days but I can't wait to get out.

Sick of the politics, Sick of scrappy 'Mandatory' NCALT crap tick box learning.

You must retire the same day as me. Role on

• Like 3

The Federation are running scared, I couldn't believe their pathetic surrender to Theresa May's shocking speech at conference. Interestingly, a lot of people slate the BBC for bias, but I've not seen this in any other media outlet. At least the BBC reported it. 

There are 116 hidden replies in this thread that you do not currently have access to as a Guest User of our forum. To unlock the forum register for an account for FREE today by clicking HERE