Sign in to follow this  
Eddzz!!

Starting in North Wales

Hi all - I am new to the forums. I am soon to start my training as a Special Constable in North Wales Police. Having passed the PIR, interview, Welsh test and medical I am eagerly awaiting the training. I am slightly apprehensive about the certain language barriers that I will face once I set foot out on the streets. I have been able to demonstrate my Welsh language abilities enough to enter the force, but I can't hold a conversation. I understand some Welsh, but find it difficult to respond in Welsh after being addressed (mostly a confidence thing). For those who know: how difficult am I going to find it, in both dealing with the public and my colleagues, being primarily monolingual? I'd appreciate any insight! Apologies for opening with such an obscure post.

A lot will depend on which area of North Wales you will be Policing. In the far flung reaches of the Western part of the Force, Welsh as a first language is much more prevalent than in the Eastern part of the Force. My advice is don't worry about it, you will find that not being fluent is not a barrier. If you are addressed in Welsh, just advise 'Dim yn siarad Cymraeg, ond dwi yn dysgu', and you will find that you are then addressed in English. If you need any further advice, drop me a personal message.

A lot will depend on which area of North Wales you will be Policing. In the far flung reaches of the Western part of the Force, Welsh as a first language is much more prevalent than in the Eastern part of the Force. My advice is don't worry about it, you will find that not being fluent is not a barrier. If you are addressed in Welsh, just advise 'Dim yn siarad Cymraeg, ond dwi yn dysgu', and you will find that you are then addressed in English. If you need any further advice, drop me a personal message.

Thanks Backlash, I'll drop you a PM.

Do you get any support from your force to improve your language skills? There are some good online resources as well as CDs etc, I know someone who moved to Anglesey who taught herself Welsh on her PC, it wasn't easy but she did it!

Good morning Eddzz!! I think i'm right in saying, that at one point it was possible to obtain CD's (as mummypatrol said) and it was possible to get them from Colwyn Bay HQ. I don't know if they are still available, but it may be useful to speak to your training unit about them, and they may be able to help.

Good morning Eddzz!! I think i'm right in saying, that at one point it was possible to obtain CD's (as mummypatrol said) and it was possible to get them from Colwyn Bay HQ. I don't know if they are still available, but it may be useful to speak to your training unit about them, and they may be able to help.

No need to get them from Colwyn Bay, they are all online. Link below:

http://www.north-wales.police.uk/about_us/welsh_language/learning_resources/level_two.aspx

Thanks all :) I have access to the online resources and used these yo get me through the recruitment test. I shall definitely be using them again!

Well I went to my introduction meeting last night and it looks like I'm to be based in Caernarfon - only the place with highest concentration of Welsh speakers in Wales! Fingers crossed that I won't feel too much like an alien... Still, Caernarfon - plenty of action there!  :P

Sign in to follow this