Sign in to follow this  
Westie

Search on Sir Cliff Richards home

Whilst I an no fan of this particular person, in the interest of fairness, I don't think it's right to namehim at this time as the person whose home is being searched by police, whether he is in this country or elsewhere. In the event of the search and other investigations being NFA'd as is said 'mud sticks' and the poor guy will have to live with people's views and opinions regardless of the outcome.

• Like 1

Whilst I an no fan of this particular person, in the interest of fairness, I don't think it's right to namehim at this time as the person whose home is being searched by police, whether he is in this country or elsewhere. In the event of the search and other investigations being NFA'd as is said 'mud sticks' and the poor guy will have to live with people's views and opinions regardless of the outcome.

I agree that should be the way with all those whose properties were searched. It seems the Police never actually name the individual but the press doesn't seem to follow a similar protocol - which seems unreasonable but why would they let fairness stand in the way of a sensational headline :rolleyes:

• Like 4

I agree with both of you. Perhaps we are heading towards the America way of trial by media, before the event. Never mind about the person who is innocent until proved otherwise. 

• Like 2

Unknown at this time but safe to assume evidence to support the allegation made against him. Media state an alleged assault in 1985 in Sheffield.

Allegations made by a male who says he was sexually assaulted when he was under 16(back in the 80's).  No name was mentioned but the inference is there just by naming whose place was searched.

Richard has denied anything occurred and said he was co-operating fully with the police.    

I do think that people accused of this sort of crime should have their name kept from the public unless it appears there is a case to answer. Yes, I know that other possible victims feel emboldened to come forward, but at the same time, the accused's life is changed irrevocably by an accusation which might have no substance,

• Like 3

Rumours / gossip about Cliff Richards' sexual orientation have long been the stuff of tabloid stories; so this sort of allegation made public effectively condemns him in the eyes of many. My view is that it would be difficult for him to get a fair trial if he were charged with offences - so there is no excuse for the media sensationalising the situation. The media should be brought to account for these sort of transgressions (but, of course, we need to make sure that such acts are clearly identified as breaches of the rules and there has to be a body with "teeth" to hold the media to account).

Personally, I have disliked Cliff Richards since I was a teenager - probably because my sisters idolised him :D but he's certainly entitled to be treated fairly and, as with all these historical allegations, I have real doubts about how fair a trial could be achieved.

• Like 1

It would be interesting to know who 'leaked' the information to the BBC that the police were going to search his flat.  The Press were already stationed out side the entrance with their umbrellas and cameras set up, plus a helicopter hired by the BBC hovering overhead, prior to the police arriving.    The police were the only ones who knew what was going to take place so the info had to come from them, there is obviously a mole in the South Yorks Police who told someone about the operation, who passed it

on to the BBC.  Of course both sides deny it was them, but they would wouldn't they.  I hope they find out who released the info and sack them.    

• Like 1

It would be interesting to know who 'leaked' the information to the BBC that the police were going to search his flat.  The Press were already stationed out side the entrance with their umbrellas and cameras set up, plus a helicopter hired by the BBC hovering overhead, prior to the police arriving.    The police were the only ones who knew what was going to take place so the info had to come from them, there is obviously a mole in the South Yorks Police who told someone about the operation, who passed it

on to the BBC.  Of course both sides deny it was them, but they would wouldn't they.  I hope they find out who released the info and sack them.    

I doubt this will be a priority for the appropriate PSD; the value of the media attention showing proactive efforts by Police to thoroughly investigate will outweigh any concerns the SMT might have. Of course, it might not have been someone from SYP ;)   

I doubt this will be a priority for the appropriate PSD; the value of the media attention showing proactive efforts by Police to thoroughly investigate will outweigh any concerns the SMT might have. Of course, it might not have been someone from SYP ;)   

I wonder where they got the key from to enter the flat, or did they just force the door.   If they got the key from an agency, or caretaker, one of them  could have told the BBC.

SIR CLIFF'S ANGER AT MEDIA'S KNOWLEDGE OF RAID ON HIS HOME 

Sir Cliff Richard was furious that members of the press appeared to find out his luxury UK flat was being raided by police before he did.

Crews for the BBC were positioned outside the private estate where the singer has a £3.1million property as police swooped in.

And the BBC appeared to have a pre-recorded interview with a leading police officer involved in the case. 

In his statement, Sir Cliff pointedly said that he had been given no notice of the search.

The singer said: 'However, the police attended my apartment in Berkshire today without notice, except, it would appear, to the press.

'I am not presently in the UK but it goes without saying that I will co-operate fully should the police wish to speak to me.'

He was in the Algarve when he learned of the raid, and his publicist promptly issued a strong denial of the claim.

It is not clear if the singer plans to return to the UK.

A spokesman from the BBC declined to comment on the source of their story.

I have just heard an item on Sky News that suggests that the SYP have admitted that they are working together with the BBC to investigate allegations of historical sexual offences. That suggests to me that they tipped off the BBC to their raid.

If this is true, I think the CC should be immediately investigated by IPCC to establish what information might have been given to the BBC or other media - there seems little point in having a Police investigation if they are going to give what must be considered as "confidential" information to a public broadcaster. The BBC must be thinking they have a great story if they are prepared to use a helicopter to overfly the scene of the raid .............. what were they expecting - to see Cliff Richards running away being pursued by Police Officers??? :rolleyes:

• Like 2

The idea that anyone should know about the execution of a warrant is laughable. What is the pint of a warrant if other people know about it.  We had problems some years ago with warrants being blown out. We found that the cause was a clerk in the Magistrates Clerks office who was processing the information after tha warrant had been sworn. We solved the prob;em by forgetting to leave the information with the clerks office.  The Mags Clerk complained to the Chief Superintendent who knew what we were doing, and why. He told them he would speak to the officers. He did, he told me that the Mags Clerk's office had been on again moaning. The fact remained that whiklst we did this we never had a warrant blown out again.

When you are planning a raid  nobody should know about it unless they needed to know.

The huge problem is with some other victims, allegedley coming forward that many of those will be some spurious people fasley wanting their 15 minutes of fame. That makes it hard for any who might have a genuine complaint.

• Like 3

I can't really think of what grounds they could have had for searching somewhere the alleged offence didn't happen, at a time when he didn't even live there.

I wonder who will get to search his homes in Portugal and Barbados?

• Like 2

I can't really think of what grounds they could have had for searching somewhere the alleged offence didn't happen, at a time when he didn't even live there.

I wonder who will get to search his homes in Portugal and Barbados?

I reckon they were after his mobile phone as it's bound to have some incriminating evidence from the 1980's. Either that or crimes against fashion!

There are 68 hidden replies in this thread that you do not currently have access to as a Guest User of our forum. To unlock the forum register for an account for FREE today by clicking HERE
Sign in to follow this