Maverick22

Home Sec/Fed Conference

Cliff Caswell.   -    

A furious Police Federation official has called on Home Secretary Theresa May to apologise for “demeaning the office of constable” during her speech to the staff association conference.

Ian Hanson (pictured), Chairman of the Greater Manchester branch board maintained that Mrs May had launched a vitriolic attack that was directed “at every officer in the country”.

Mr Hanson was one of a number of officials who were left shocked at the tone of the Home Secretary’s speech. In it she said reform was needed in the Police Service following a string of high profile integrity cases, including historic probes such as Hillsborough.

The Home Secretary also threatened to impose reform on the Federation if the body failed to implement the recommendations of the independent Normington report.

In addition she confirmed she would be implementing several reforms to the staff association including withdrawing funding that pays for the salaries of the chairman, general secretary and treasurer, changing the law so that officers who join have to opt in to join the Federation and using existing and new legal powers to make all Federation bank accounts public.

However, Mr Hanson said he remained furious at the tone and content of Mrs May’s speech, insisting that she had gone to far and should now apologies for her conduct.

Mr Hanson added:  "Theresa May demeaned the office of Home Secretary in a vitriolic attack not only on the Police Federation but on every police officer in the country.

"Her attack upon the integrity of the service was an absolute disgrace and I watched in horror and amazement as her face contorted with anger as she attacked British policing citing yet again matters that go back decades as justification for her behaviour.”

Elsewhere, national General Secretary Ian Rennie told colleagues in conference that he had been surprised by Mrs May’s speech and was “disappointed” with its content.

Ian Pointon, Chairman of the Kent Branch board told colleagues that he was also left stunned by Mrs May’s speech. He added: “I have never seen a home secretary address conference in that way.”

He pointed out that when Federation members booed her as she left the stage two years ago “we had been called bullies and she was the victim”. But he added: “This morning she left as the bully.”

Listened to Fahy on BBC 4, as usual from him, no support for the lads and lasses with the usual 'suck up' to Ms May and HMG.

By Gary Mason.

Home Secretary Theresa May has pre-empted the debate on Police Federation reform at its conference in Bournemouth by announcing significant reforms to the organisation that will come into force within months.

These include withdrawing public funding that pays for the salaries and expenses of the chairman, general secretary and treasurer, changing the law so that officers who join the service have to actively opt in to join the Federation and using existing and new legal powers to call in and make public all Federation bank accounts including the controversial “Number Two” accounts.

In a hard hitting speech that left delegates stunned and was met with complete silence at the end, Mrs May (pictured) told the Federation that the government would use Parliament to force the Federation to change if it did not accept and adopt all of the recommendations made in the Normington Review.

“The Federation was created by a Act of Parliament and it can be reformed by an Act of Parliament,” she said. “If you do not change of your own accord we will impose change on you.” Questioned after her speech the Home Secretary refused to place a time limit on all the Normington reforms being implemented, but said that she expected them all to be accepted immediately and then implemented as quickly as possible.

On the question of paying Joint Central Committee salaries she said: “It is not acceptable that when the Federation is sitting on vast reserves worth tens of millions of pounds it is in receipt of public funds to pay for the salaries and expenses of the chairman, general secretary and treasurer.”

She said the payments would be stopped from August this year and the money saved will go into a new fund to accelerate the introduction of Police First  - a scheme designed to attract graduates into the Police Service.

Mrs May said that the change in the law to force new officers to opt in to the Federation was designed to ensure “that officers no longer become Fed members by default.”

Mrs May told the conference that she was not happy with how the Federation have responded to the Normington Review. “Federation staff have been forced out and there have been allegations of bullying and vicitimisation. Instead of embracing the need for reform, some members of the Fed seem to have reverted to the worst kinds of behaviour exposed by the Normington Review.”

In questions from the floor after her speech, one Fed rep accused Mrs May of “bullying” the Police Federation. He described her speech as “the worst kicking” of his police career.

Did the Fed think they could get away with their behaviour 2 years ago, she has got her revenge with cherries on top.

Ian Pointon, Chairman of the Kent Branch board told colleagues that he was also left stunned by Mrs May’s speech. He added: “I have never seen a home secretary address conference in that way.”

He pointed out that when Federation members booed her as she left the stage two years ago “we had been called bullies and she was the victim”. But he added: “This morning she left as the bully.”

Listened to Fahy on BBC 4, as usual from him, no support for the lads and lasses with the usual 'suck up' to Ms May and HMG.

I cannot understand this point.  May and the PM get a much worse reception on a weekly basis during a parliament debate than the Fed delegates gave her for five minutes on one occasion.

Many people, Fahy included, seem to miss the point that May tarred all bobbies with the same brush and blamed us all for Hillsborough etc which is an absurd allegation. 

Did the Fed think they could get away with their behaviour 2 years ago, she has got her revenge with cherries on top.

Fed conference were wrong to treat the home sec the way they did 2 years ago, they demeaned all police on that occasion.

TM has not got revenge, she has stooped to the same low standard and wrongly attacked all police rather than just the fed.

I think she will regret this in the long run, it was poor judgement. It's no different to saying all Romanian men are criminals. This will bite her on the bum with her opponents in the future. Tough today, gone tomorrow!

Fed conference were wrong to treat the home sec the way they did 2 years ago, they demeaned all police on that occasion.

TM has not got revenge, she has stooped to the same low standard and wrongly attacked all police rather than just the fed.

I think she will regret this in the long run, it was poor judgement. It's no different to saying all Romanian men are criminals. This will bite her on the bum with her opponents in the future. Tough today, gone tomorrow!

Ever come across someone with 'ACAB' tattooed on their knuckles and wondered what it stood for...

Hmmm....just to explain the above, a knuckle dragger with ACAB proudly emblazoned exhibits, in my estimation, a similar mindset to one that would state we are 'institutionally racist' or hold us to account for events that occurred in a football match in 1989.

That, in the eyes of the knuckle dragger, some coppers are dastards, I would defend as his right to free expression. I would take issue with all. That some Police, serving in 1989, potentially made a tragic mistake is also up for investigation. But again, you cannot hold those to account who had yet to join the service!

There may be a few bad apples in the Police. I have seen some of them uncovered, prosecuted and kicked out. But by no means all are bad.

We are all being tarred with the same brush, and rather than explain this, Mrs May has made short term political gain. This was the time to draw a line, plan ahead and move forward. What Mrs May did was to discredit and undermine. So, where do we go from here?

Edited by Dem

From what has previously come out re Hillsborough the Conservative government of the day were heavily involved in a cover up so what exactly is she trying to say here? 

Unfortunately gripper, I think you are right. How does the saying go ? 'he who laughs last, laughs longest.'

Unfortunately gripper, I think you are right. How does the saying go ? 'he who laughs last, laughs longest.'

More like 'revenge is a dish best served cold'...

I thought I'd seen it all with this government but that speech was an absolute disgrace. She effectively said all police officers are corrupt, citing historic cases such as Lawrence and Hillsborough, which the vast majority of serving officers had nothing to do with. These politicians are the biggest hypocrites known to man. They can steal tens of thousands of pounds, pay back a tiny amount then have no sanction and get a golden handshake to leave parliament, and WE are the ones who need to reform? Disgusting woman. I do hope you've all gone out today and voted.. 

Yet you will still have people on this site pulling for the Tories. I don't understand it. They hate the police and she has likened every police officer as corrupt, aggressive and racist. The speech was an absolute disgrace and she should be ashamed. I have voted and it is not for her party.

Edited by keithboy37
  • Like 3

I thought I'd seen it all with this government but that speech was an absolute disgrace. She effectively said all officers are corrupt, citing historic cases such as Lawrence and Hillsborough, which the vast majority of serving officers had nothing to do with. These politicians are the biggest hypocrites known to man. They can steal tens of thousands of pounds, pay back a tiny amount then have no sanction and get a golden handshake to leave parliament, and WE are the ones who need to reform? Disgusting woman. I do hope you've all gone out today and voted..

I understand some of the anger but it's opinions like this that don't help. The MPs are wrong to 'effectively say all officers are corrupt, citing historic cases such as Lawrence and Hillsborough, which the vast majority of serving officers had nothing to do with.' But it's fine for officers to effectively say that all politicians are hypocrites, thieves, corrupt etc. With frequent mentions of the expenses scandal which the majority of serving MPs had nothing to do with?

It's easy to say 'they started it' but was anyone really surprised at TM's approach? Home Secretaries have been treated with disdain at the Fed Conference for years and it was obvious that more of the same was likely. She used the age old tactic of attack being the best form of defence. It was pointless her turning up with a pink and fluffy congratulatory speech - difficult as that would have been with events of the last year. She would have been met with jeers, silence, slow hand clap or other boorish behaviour. So she came in hard and told it as it is. Some may not like it but there will be no surprises from here on in.

I'm not saying I agreed with everything she said, or rather the way she said some of it but I have a grudging respect for her having the balls to stand there and give it to them the way she did.

And the response? Well the one broadcast most just sounded like a bleating, 'poor us, you have been so nasty to us.' 'I've never had such an attack and a personal kicking from what you said there.' Really?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I was always of the understanding to speak at the conference a person had to be invited to do so. If this is the case she should have had the good grace to be polite. In fact if she has the RIGHT to attend as Home Sec she still should have been polite and not an overbearing harridan almost frothing at the mouth as she wound herself up to the pinnacle of vitriolic hatred.

There are 100 hidden replies in this thread that you do not currently have access to as a Guest User of our forum. To unlock the forum register for an account for FREE today by clicking HERE