Sign in to follow this  
IveToldYouOnce

'Forgetful' Maria Miller MP

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-26865695

I wish I had so much money coming into my account(s) that I completely 'forgot' that the interest rates were coming down so that I wouldn't have to leech, I mean, claim as much in expenses as I used to.

The Culture Secretary, Maria Miller, 'owes' £5,800 to cover her mortgage expenses.

She didn't steal it.  She's going to apologise and pay it back.  So that's ok then.

Is it any wonder that most of the public at large have no faith, trust or belief in the members of parliament anymore.

• Like 2

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-26865695

I wish I had so much money coming into my account(s) that I completely 'forgot' that the interest rates were coming down so that I wouldn't have to leech, I mean, claim as much in expenses as I used to.

The Culture Secretary, Maria Miller, 'owes' £5,800 to cover her mortgage expenses.

She didn't steal it.  She's going to apologise and pay it back.  So that's ok then.

Don't be so cynical after all its not as if she works for an institution which has regular debates about the economy....no wait....what I mean is that its not as if she gets expenses and can employ staff to run her office....no sorry wrong again...last try...its not as if she gets expenses to run a London pad which were under the fine scrutiny of the national newspapers a couple of years ago...sod it...forget it...doesn't seem to me that she has much of an excuse.

• Like 4

Not to point of the obvious, of course, but if this was a police officer...!

Then perhaps a 12 month sentence would have applied coupled with dismissal and never being able to follow the profession again.

She did not have to apologise for fiddling the expenses but for being less than forthright with the committee of M.P.'s. :blush:

BUT if you are less than forthright about riding your bike throught the main gates of Downing Street and swearing at officers you ghet full party support. :angry:

According to the BBC rolling news, it will be interesting to see just how the situation is reported in tomorrows newspapers. Already, Labour's John Mann MP has called for Cameron to sack her, there may be others too with the same idea. As mummypatrol has already pointed out, if it was one of us I think we can guess at the outcome can't we.

What it seems to amount to is that she forgot to adjust her claims when interest rates went down, which suggests she had a tracker mortgage. This is not in itself dishonest. What is obscene, however are the issues reported (if true) to the effect that: she thought it was ok for the taxpayer to support her parents; she claimed over £90 k in housing costs quite legitimately; she has now sold the house and made a profit of over £1 million, which of course she gets to keep.

So if I've read this right, she doubled the mortgage on her house while serving as an MP, using this money for whatever purpose she saw fit, and billed the taxpayer for the repayments. She was technically not supposed to do this, but for some reason no action is being taken over this, only for the element of the repayments which were affected by changes in interest rates. The property obviously increased vastly in value, so it is possible that she used this money to make improvements to tbe house. She then sold it and made over £1 million profit.

Is it just my mind boggling?

• Like 2

The thing is as has been mentioned - had an officer messed with their expenses they would not have been a committee to decide how much needed to be repaid.

How can they sling so much mud towards the police and get away with the corruption that goes on.

I know. They put me in mind of a bunch of 3rd world dictators spending aid money on private jets and fleets of Mercedes. People are stealing to eat in 21st century Britain.

• Like 3

The three politicians on Question Time last night, tried to varying degrees to make excuses for her. Her main supporter was her fellow Tory (don't ask me his name). He got short shrift from the audience who like the rest of us are sick of the thieves and liars in Westminster.

• Like 1

There are 72 hidden replies in this thread that you do not currently have access to as a Guest User of our forum. To unlock the forum register for an account for FREE today by clicking HERE
Sign in to follow this