Hi! 
New to the forum, so I hope I've got this in the right place!

Got my day one next week and I'm relatively confident about it, but I'm less so for if I get through and move on to the day two with the fitness tests. The pushing/pulling are fine, but does anyone know how intense the running is? Also, not the smallest person, so are they massively strict if you're a bit on the larger side? 

Cheers in advance!

Welcome to the forum....

In short, if you pass, you pass.

Do they make allowances because you are "not the smallest person" ? No.

Unfortunately, having never done the fitness test for over 25 years, I can't comment on how intense the running is, but someone will add to this thread.

• Like 1

The running test is very very very very very easy in fact to use the words running and test in the description are almost misleading. You have to 'run' for about 5 mins, this 'running' is just above a gentle jog. 

You do have to pass it though they don't make allowances. If your worried about it I take it you've been out running and practicing ? If you are genuinely worried about your weight do something about it. 

• Like 1

Downloaded the beep test last night and took it up to the gym with me today to practice with the actual thing, and I was definitely surprised by how easy it was. I agree with you that it sounded more strenuous on paper :) 

I didn't mean make allowances for the running test, I was just wondering if they have strict guidelines on a person's weight? I'm actively losing weight atm and I've got a month to go, but still a bit concerned. 

Farness test is a Joke!5.3 is basically a little jog... i have done it recently and I can honestly say it is not to the standard it should be...any overweight person can easily pass this test.... worry about your role plays for day one....nothing else.. done it myself.. good luck

I am afraid I am going to sound a little unkind here but-

If you are by your own admission out of shape and overweight now you will not be able to do the job properly. It is unlikely you will change your chosen lifestyle after you join and therefore soon you will be what Picard refers to as a disabled officer unable to carry out the role but expectant of a salary for doing it.

Do yourself and your future colleagues a favour-Screw your nut and get yourself sorted out. The fitness "test" is not a reflection of how fit you need to be to do the role- It's a reflection of the lowest possible standard we could drop to in order to cater toward those who didnt want to put the effort in and to avoid being called "discriminatory".

Unless by larger person you mean well muscled you will not be doing yourself or the job any favours until you get your body sufficiently prepared for what the job will ask of it. Otherwise you will be another LTS statistic looking for a medical pension within a matter of years.

Nice to see so much encouragement !!.

I was thinking that myself. Some comments here are frankly disgusting. Everyone is entitled to a chance. There are many many reasons why someone puts on weight, but to simply dismiss them as being unsuitable from the outset based on your own narrow minded views, should make you ashamed.

• Like 1

...... to simply dismiss them as being unsuitable from the outset based on your own narrow minded views, should make you ashamed.

Both,

Out of interest how does

"Screw your nut and get yourself sorted out."

and

"until you get your body sufficiently prepared for what the job will ask of it."

....constitute simple dismissal.

That to me is me clearly saying -Sort yourself out and get fit enough to do the job. For the sake of you and yor future colleagues.

I am interested that you read that as-"You arent good enough go away".. When it is exactly what it is...in unambiguous black and white.

Had I simply dismissed him/her then perhaps my views could have been labelled as narrow

It's blunt yes and I'm sorry for any hurt feelings but people who arent preparing themselves mentally and physically arent able to do what they need to do when the time comes and the public suffers. Worst case scenario people lose their lives.

Tommo I will assume that wasn't moderation-If it was then please delete this comment as it's made in the assumption that it wasn't -

If you wish to criticise me or imply I should be ashamed then please do so for what I said-Not what you wanted me to have said.

I didnt dismiss him-I bluntly confronted him with an issue that I believe he needs to address if he wishes to become an effective and productive officer. I did it out of concern for our organisation and the public we serve. It is also what I perceive to be the truth and therefore in line with my moral values. I would never say such a thing to someone unless they were about to put themselves in a position of great responsibility.

To the OP if you are of the robust psychological nature that the job requires you will accept the discomfort my comment presented and use it to galvanise your will to address the shortfalls you have already identified.

HMS

Edited by HMService

Both,

Out of interest how does

"Screw your nut and get yourself sorted out."

and

"until you get your body sufficiently prepared for what the job will ask of it."

....constitute simple dismissal.

That to me is me clearly saying -Sort yourself out and get fit enough to do the job. For the sake of you and yor future colleagues.

I am interested that you read that as-"You arent good enough go away".. When it is exactly what it is...in unambiguous black and white.

Had I simply dismissed him/her then perhaps my views could have been labelled as narrow

It's blunt yes and I'm sorry for any hurt feelings but people who arent preparing themselves mentally and physically arent able to do what they need to do when the time comes and the public suffers. Worst case scenario people lose their lives.

Tommo I will assume that wasn't moderation-If it was then please delete this comment as it's made in the assumption that it wasn't -

If you wish to criticise me or imply I should be ashamed then please do so for what I said-Not what you wanted me to have said.

I didnt dismiss him-I bluntly confronted him with an issue that I believe he needs to address if he wishes to become an effective and productive officer. I did it out of concern for our organisation and the public we serve. It is also what I perceive to be the truth and therefore in line with my moral values. I would never say such a thing to someone unless they were about to put themselves in a position of great responsibility.

To the OP if you are of the robust psychological nature that the job requires you will accept the discomfort my comment presented and use it to galvanise your will to address the shortfalls you have already identified.

HMS

It wasn't moderation. Moderation notices are in coloured ink. It was my own personal view. The OP said he/she was a bit larger and was asking if allowances would be made. He/she did not say that they had not been prepared for what was to come. Your comments implied, although not saying in so many words, that the OP was getting into the wrong job, which seemed only to come from the words "larger" and "not the smallest". You have decided they are out of shape and overweight. You have even started your post by stating that you were going to sound unkind. You were spot on there at least with that point.

The context was fitness/larger/allowances being made due to concerns about the fitness test in the context of day 1 being imminent. This would imply lack of fitness very near to the day it would be needed and thereby lack of preparation.

Were I talking to someone who wanted to know how best to prepare for a test in 6 months time I could afford to be more subtle-But here is a recruit on the cusp of day 1 that needs to get this addressed vigorously and right now as he is about to start.

My belief is he needs a psychological kick up the backside to get prepared. Unkind sounding? Yes. Unwarranted? I think not. He's about to take on the office of Constable and needs to get himself together now.

I am not a believer in unkindness for its own sake, but neither I am a believer in all this pussy footing around and avoidance of discipline in favour of "niceness". It has ruined our children and is ruining the effectiveness of the Police and the public are suffering for it.

There comes a point when the facts must be faced and if necessary blunt instructions given. Permissiveness of mediocrity breeds mediocrity.

This recruit to my mind needed a shot across the bows-I sincerely hope he responds to it and sorts himself out and becomes the officer he should be and the public expects him to be.

If I have to play the bad guy to ensure that then so be it.

HMS

Yikes! Didn't mean to cause a debate on here.
  To add some sort of specific onto my initial posts, I'm not unfit. I am in sports clubs and do fighting regularly in my uni, I'm just not a runner, hence my initial worry about the running part, which I'm now not so concerned about as I got the actual test to use as real life comparison, rather than people's experiences online.

I'm a she, too! (For the pronoun part in people's messages.) I was a bit vague because I'm not overall keen on talking about weight. Basically I'm on the beginning of the overweight section on bmi, and I was concerned about that going against me in the medical exam, but apparently that's alright as long as you're under a certain limit. 

I was thinking that myself. Some comments here are frankly disgusting. Everyone is entitled to a chance. There are many many reasons why someone puts on weight, but to simply dismiss them as being unsuitable from the outset based on your own narrow minded views, should make you ashamed.

And yeah, thanks for sticking up for me! I get what HMService is saying, of course, but I appreciate it. Was a bit taken aback when I came online and read down...

Clearly it goes to show Hm01, that people shouldn't presume, based on very little info. Thanks for the additional info. I wish you well in your fitness test.

Clearly it goes to show Hm01, that people shouldn't presume, based on very little info. Thanks for the additional info. I wish you well in your fitness test.

Oh yes.

Thank you!

Paid Membership Required

There are 2 hidden replies in this thread. To unlock the forum you will need to be a registered member and have a paid Membership Plan or Recruitment Pass. Click HERE for full details.
Sign in to follow this