11 replies to this topic

#1 keithboy37

keithboy37

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1275 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 05:13 PM

I've just seen this on Sky news. Respect. I wonder what would have happened in this country. I bet we would be criticised for being aggressive, heavy handed and racist.

http://news.sky.com/...reak-in-suspect

#2 Silver plated

Silver plated

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 06:41 PM

Cop who did the rugby tackle has just booked his place on the next Lions tour!

#3 Anglisc

Anglisc

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 09:02 PM

Fantastic street policing. Just the sort of thing the IPCC would crucify you for in this country.

#4 M&MBM

M&MBM

Forum Member

• Moderators
  • 68288 posts
  • LocationEssex

Posted 12 February 2014 - 09:57 PM

Was that a member of the public casually pitching in to help and then casually strolling away?

MOP, Joker & reformed character. Honest. Posted ImageI moderate with purple prose

#5 almostthere

almostthere

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 09:41 AM

Dymanic effort. Not sure who was doing the filming there, but an excellent effort of a flying tackle there. A truncheon/baton through the spokes may have had a more spectacular finish though. 

#6 999tommo

999tommo

Forum Member

• Moderators
  • 7677 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 10:33 AM

Not sure about the taser being considered when there were three people wrestling with the guy. I'm no expert in taser, but common sense says if you shock someone who is being held by three others, then you'll shock four people. I could of course be wrong !! It might have made great TV footage though. ;)
"It is always better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open your mouth and confirm it. "

#7 almostthere

almostthere

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 11:20 AM

You can hold onto a person that has been tasered without too much concern. Certainly in the demonstrations on live officers there are folk to hold onto the dropping body. So long as you keep off the wires.

#8 999tommo

999tommo

Forum Member

• Moderators
  • 7677 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 11:48 AM

I was recalling physics in school with the Van-Der-Graaf Generator. If one person touched it and others links hands, then everyone's hair stood on end !! And a defibrillator....why do they shout 'CLEAR' when they are about to shock someone's heart ? I'm not Taser trained, so I'll accept what you say.
"It is always better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open your mouth and confirm it. "

#9 almostthere

almostthere

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 12:25 PM

I have touched someone that has been tasered and been fine. Those as I say taking part in trials were fine too. It is different of course when coming into contact with the wires/hooks.

As an anectode, as a child I lived near a farm which had cow fields. These fields had an electric fence consisting of a single wire. If there were a chain of folk the last one would get the thump. We discovered the electric fence in the dark whilst playing one night. Kids !!!!!

#10 cheese_puff

cheese_puff

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1980 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 12:36 PM

I was recalling physics in school with the Van-Der-Graaf Generator. If one person touched it and others links hands, then everyone's hair stood on end !! And a defibrillator....why do they shout 'CLEAR' when they are about to shock someone's heart ? I'm not Taser trained, so I'll accept what you say.

The difference is to do with the amount of current used. Defibs use high voltage and high current, in the proportion of a number of amps (depends on the person and the type of shock needed I believe) in a single pulse. Because of the high current used, it can transmit through bodies to whatever or whoever is touching it.

Tasers use extra high voltage (I believe around 50,000 - those people who are trained will probably know the exact answer) but they are current limited to about .003 of an amp or something like that. Therefore the very low current doesn't generally transmit through bodies to another person.

As we all learnt at school, it's the amount of electricity (current or amps) that does the damage, rather than the pressure behind it (voltage).

There is no way those probes can deliver enough current to do any damage, they are too small, which is why defib pads are that much larger.

#11 IveToldYouOnce

IveToldYouOnce

Forum Member

• Moderators
  • 9093 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 04:16 PM

You're fine with TASER.  50KV, and low amps, as CP has stated.

Don't touch the wires, or any place between where the probes get attached.  Electricity takes the easiest, direct route.  So if the barbs hit the body, then the arms are safe to grab hold of. 

I've indirectly TASER'd a couple of colleageus who touched the wires as I was delivering a charge...........which, oddly, they won't let me forget.....

And we can always switch the thing off.............

"It's going to be a two banana kind of day....."

#12 999tommo

999tommo

Forum Member

• Moderators
  • 7677 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 04:58 PM

Every day is a school day !! B)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users