Sign in to follow this  
OldAfricaHand

Mark Duggan Lawfully Killed

The Coroner's jury returned a verdict of "Lawful Killing" in the Duggan case. There was some apparent criticism of the police intelligence and family members apparently called the jury "murderers", the verdict was returned by a majority  of 8-2.

I hope this verdict does not lead to public disorder

Edited by OldAfricaHand

Listening to radio 5 suggests a number of skirmishes within the court building. Reports suggest no police were present and a group were trying to boot in the coroner's office door.

Time will tell and I hope we do not see a recurrence of the previous problems. We are into the cold and dark nights so hopefully this will reduce any disorder if any.

That was just what I was thinking OAH. Just seen on then ews that the coroners door has been kicked in, so we shall have to see how the family react to our justice system.

I think that the behaviour of the family has said it all about them. Justice has been done and they do not like it. Loss of life is always sad but sonme people bring it on themselves, by their life style and actions.

• Like 3

For what it's worth, I think its disgusting that there may be a threat of disorder when a family hears a verdict such as they have heard. Disgusting.

• Like 4

Sky News are quoting a Home Office statement that the IPCC will continue to investigate the matter in the light of the evidence given in court.

I have just watched the family say they will continue to fight to prove Duggan was executed by Police. Hopefully, as almostthere says, the cold dark nights will deter disorder.

As a former AFO is saying on Sky, the whole event happened in one or two seconds and so there were milliseconds for the AFO to react.

Sadly, Sky's Kay Burley is highlighting the fact that a black man has been shot by the Police. Mark Duggan is actually mixed-race and so, in my view, it is being emotive to raise the race issue the way she is doing. To me that is sad & unnecessary.

• Like 2

I think that the behaviour of the family has said it all about them. Justice has been done and they do not like it. Loss of life is always sad but sonme people bring it on themselves, by their life style and actions.

Exactly and, as you suggest, life-style and general actions say so much about the background in which Duggan developed his standards and conduct. Duggan's aunt raised her right fist in a clenched manner and said there will be no peace ....... one wonders if she is inciting disorder - worrying!

• Like 3

Sky News are quoting a Home Office statement that the IPCC will continue to investigate the matter in the light of the evidence given in court.

I have just watched the family say they will continue to fight to prove Duggan was executed by Police. Hopefully, as almostthere says, the cold dark nights will deter disorder.

As a former AFO is saying on Sky, the whole event happened in one or two seconds and so there were milliseconds for the AFO to react.

Sadly, Sky's Kay Burley is highlighting the fact that a black man has been shot by the Police. Mark Duggan is actually mixed-race and so, in my view, it is being emotive to raise the race issue the way she is doing. To me that is sad & unnecessary.

With regards to the last sentence....now why doesn't that surprise me.

BBC News  legal representative winding people up. Family claiming result is perverse and mentioning the other deaths in police custody so pushing for antagonism. Very sad.

Needless to say "renta-mob" shouted down the statement made by the Assistant Commissioner! One point he made was that over 50 people have been murdered by gun-men in the Met in the last three years - a telling statistic..

With the comments that are being made by the various news commentators, it sickens me. I know that it is legal news, but i'm so sick of hearing already thos comments that I for one have switched the news off, however, I guess we will be overdosing on this result for some time to come. As almostthere said...Very sad !

I'm sure the news reporters are just trying to whip everyone up into a frenzy - the standard of reporting on all channels is terrible. This has been a verdict given in a court of law. The press keep bringing up the fact he was 'unarmed at the time of being shot'.

What the issue is, is that he had deliberately gone out of his way to find a gun, collect it and transport it back to wherever his destination was to be. For me, they should be asking WHY did he feel the need for wanting a gun? What were his intentions? The court have decided the officers reacted lawfully. Duggan's actions, possession at very least, WERE UNLAWFUL.

Edited by almostthere
  • Like 4

It won't happen but the editors of the papers and the on air media need to be taken aside and given 'words of advice'  the way their staff are reporting matters. It should be dispassionate, neutral at least, and avoid words that are inflammatory. It is a natural reaction but the press are not acting naturally, only driven by greed to sell more papers etc.

• Like 5

What the issue is, is that he had deliberately gone out of his way to find a gun, collect it and transport it back to wherever his destination was to be. For me, they should be asking WHY did he feel the need for wanting a gun? What were his intentions? The court have decided the officers reacted lawfully. Duggan's actions, possession at very least, WERE UNLAWFUL.

totally agree..

I can remember another time when people were just as angry. That was back in 2007 when a young 11 year old boy called "Rhys Milford Jones" from Liverpool was shot in the back by a gang member wielding an illegal firearm and died in his mothers arms. It was a devastating, sick crime which caused many to be angry.

• Like 1

There are 151 hidden replies in this thread that you do not currently have access to as a Guest User of our forum. To unlock the forum register for an account for FREE today by clicking HERE
Sign in to follow this