Sign in to follow this  
IveToldYouOnce

100,000 terms

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-24980765

"As many as 100,000 search terms will result in no results".  All related to child abuse images apparently.

100,000.  That's a bloody big number of possible search terms just for child abuse images alone.

I wonder how they came up with that number.........

I can't help but think that people in the know would be able to find out where the main servers are, hack them, or trace their customers addresses back and then arrange for an early morning knock at the door by a couple of nice chaps in uniform.

As it is, I can't help but think this gives a false sense of security to Mr. & Mrs. Average who think it'll stop child abuse images doing the rounds..........

• Like 2

I agree, false sense of security will be attained. Will this give the offenders a sense of doom? I think not. Was listening to radio today on a phone in re this very subject. One of the callers wondered whether by curtailing the internet would send this sort of thing underground.

Only one way to stop this sort of thing and I will not invite suggestions. Having worked with SOs in the past, it is difficult to educate, and difficult to eradicate. All we can really do is try to manage it.

• Like 2

Can someone clarify: is this just in the UK because I've seen nothing in the US press about it.

Edited by croberon

I took it to mean world wide. But that number of terms that will be monitored seems a bit excessive if the figure is correct. It could seriously hamper any wild card search for a legitimate organisation/company/subject. Those who this is aimed against will find a way of getting round that with little difficulty using genuine words as code words for whatever their vile interests are and that is straight off the top of my head without thinking about it.

• Like 1

This was being discussed on the radio. Apparently two of the words are 'asparagus' and 'broccoli'.

These otherwise innocent words must be used in some coded combination by the sickos, if not gardeners and people looking for recipes are going to have restricted use of the internet as well.

This was being discussed on the radio. Apparently two of the words are 'asparagus' and 'broccoli'.

These otherwise innocent words must be used in some coded combination by the sickos, if not gardeners and people looking for recipes are going to have restricted use of the internet as well.

A bit of a myth I think. Being curious I have just "Googled" Asparagus and Broccoli and found no problem or block or restriction whatsoever. Perhaps I can expect a knock on my door.

With Asparagus I had a choice of over 7,000,000 hits in 0.18 seconds, and with Broccoli over 25,000,000 hits in 0.18 seconds.

This must prove beyond all reasonable doubt that Broccoli is more popular than Aspargus. On the plus side I now know how to grow both, and can now even make Asparagus and Broccoli soup. :rolleyes:

Serious action should be taken against the Internet companies which allow sites for the depraved and perverted on the internet. The only problem is that it is a world wide issue and perhaps shows that money over rules all in this crazy world.  :angry:

Edited by Zulu 22
  • Like 1

A bit of a myth I think. Being curious I have just "Googled" Asparagus and Broccoli and found no problem or block or restriction whatsoever. Perhaps I can expect a knock on my door.

:

Ha ha, I don't think you quite grasped what RM meant. I imagine that you probably have to type them in a certain way that you would be extremely unlikely to do by accident!

This list of 100,000 terms is going to have to be constantly changing...........

But good luck to them......I can't help but think that this is just a veneer of an idea, to try to show that something is being done - possibly because actually doing anything to stop it is all but impossible........

How will they know if other combinations of words are getting through ? Unless they have key loggers and monitor only people with that particular mind set can they tell if their plan is working. I think they'll just work round it with other phrases.