Sign in to follow this  
Maverick22

Police changes

Controversial proposals for direct entry into the Police Service at inspector, superintendent and chief constable levels have been given the green light to proceed, the government has confirmed.

In a statement to MPs, Minister for Policing and Justice Damian Green said he remained “committed to implementing fast-track and direct entry schemes to attract the best talent” following a consultation exercise carried out earlier this year. He added that the schemes will start to be rolled out in 2014.

Great Idea FFS 

I wonder how they think it will ever work ?

These Ranks are the bosses of the Police , how on earth can people from outside fill those roles effectively ?

• Like 2

I think it's a great idea, the ones we have in charge at the moment, are inept.

Give others from industry a chance.

What could go wrong.

• Like 1

It's a red herring. Why would anyone from industry or elsewhere want to take a pay cut, for all the extra hassle and responsibility.

These people will only be hired if they are far and above anyone already in force, as their training costs are going to be astronomical for them to potentially walk away at the drop of a hat to a better option. No pension handcuffs on these guys. Can't see any PCC buying into it.

• Like 1

It's a red herring. Why would anyone from industry or elsewhere want to take a pay cut, for all the extra hassle and responsibility.

Tom Winsor did - must be for the community minded people.

These people will only be hired if they are far and above anyone already in force, as their training costs are going to be astronomical for them to potentially walk away at the drop of a hat to a better option. No pension handcuffs on these guys. Can't see any PCC buying into it.

If this HMG wish to have direct entry to the higher ranks then that is what will happen no matter what any PCC says.  No matter what we say about the current HMG I think we have to admit it is ruthless and perfidious and is extremely adept at getting its own way no matter what anyone else says.

I think it has studied and assessed the Police Service and those who serve in it over a lengthy period of time and has developed strategies to deal with just about anything that can conceivably arise as it moulds the Police Service into the form it wishes it to take,and as it has encountered little or no opposition from within the Police Service to what it is doing it now feels comfortable and confident as it marches onward towards large scale privatisation and whatever other plans it has for policing.

I have to admit that there are times I wish I was back in the Job with some of my old comrades. Just now is one of them when I think of the fun we could have with some direct entry senior ranks with little or no knowledge of policing. I'm not a gambler but I would be willing to wager that a good few of them would leave after a relatively short time.

• Like 3

Hi I'm Inspector Reg Holdsworth from the direct entry scheme It is my first day in the job. I have been told to shadow you Sgt Shafted this  afternoon

"You want to be a detective you work it out"

:D  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  

Edited by Under 6
  • Like 1

Perhaps, so they can wear a ceremonial uniform and parade about pontificating!! Saying that I cannot recall anyone else with a proven TRACK record being fast tracked into the police family without any experience and donning a uniform so it is just a thought :tongue_cheek::angry::o:wacko:

If this HMG wish to have direct entry to the higher ranks then that is what will happen no matter what any PCC says.  No matter what we say about the current HMG I think we have to admit it is ruthless and perfidious and is extremely adept at getting its own way no matter what anyone else says.

I think it has studied and assessed the Police Service and those who serve in it over a lengthy period of time and has developed strategies to deal with just about anything that can conceivably arise as it moulds the Police Service into the form it wishes it to take,and as it has encountered little or no opposition from within the Police Service to what it is doing it now feels comfortable and confident as it marches onward towards large scale privatisation and whatever other plans it has for policing.

I have to admit that there are times I wish I was back in the Job with some of my old comrades. Just now is one of them when I think of the fun we could have with some direct entry senior ranks with little or no knowledge of policing. I'm not a gambler but I would be willing to wager that a good few of them would leave after a relatively short time.

But not before creating havoc within the ranks. Now without being belligerent to the idea, say for example we have a situation similar to 7/7 or the aftermath of the Mark Duggan affair - what comparison would one of these new managers have from their old role say Marks and Spencer be able to use to direct their subordinates? It really beggars belief - but I am the new me and I believe everything nowadays. I may even start responding to some of the many emails I get from the Western African lot telling me I have been bequeathed a £1.5 million fortune - it is as much of a fairytale as this.

Perhaps, so they can wear a ceremonial uniform and parade about pontificating!! Saying that I cannot recall anyone else with a proven TRACK record being fast tracked into the police family without any experience and donning a uniform so it is just a thought :tongue_cheek::angry::o:wacko:

It was actually common practice between the wars for senior military officers to hold the rank of Chief Constable, however they all would have had life experience and not still wet behind the ears or never had a proper job in their lives. That still doesn't make it right though

• Like 1

It was actually common practice between the wars for senior military officers to hold the rank of Chief Constable, however they all would have had life experience and not still wet behind the ears or never had a proper job in their lives. That still doesn't make it right though

Kingy - still a bit of difference between management of M & S and Majors from Armed Services. They knew how to make a decision on the cusp of something dodgy with no time to think. Mr Grace sat in his office having a coffee whilst he decides to have a meeting to discuss the current drop in sales. Major Disaster under fire with his troops making a decision in the field as to whether to attack, retreat or hold firm. No tea and biscuits in the latter. I know the above is a bit make believe but showing a point. Between the wars CCs were no more than sort of Ch Supts in the Borough Days really - or certainly the ones I have met anyway.

Were all dooomed Mr Mainwaring, were all dooomed. :rolleyes:

I said when I left that I thought the job was F*****, now I know it is F*****

People earn respect, by others knowing that they can, and they have done the job.

Kingy - still a bit of difference between management of M & S and Majors from Armed Services. They knew how to make a decision on the cusp of something dodgy with no time to think. Mr Grace sat in his office having a coffee whilst he decides to have a meeting to discuss the current drop in sales. Major Disaster under fire with his troops making a decision in the field as to whether to attack, retreat or hold firm. No tea and biscuits in the latter. I know the above is a bit make believe but showing a point. Between the wars CCs were no more than sort of Ch Supts in the Borough Days really - or certainly the ones I have met anyway.

That is EXACTLY what I said as below:-

However they all would have had life experience and not still wet behind the ears or never had a proper job in their lives.

There are 67 hidden replies in this thread that you do not currently have access to as a Guest User of our forum. To unlock the forum register for an account for FREE today by clicking HERE
Sign in to follow this