Sign in to follow this  
billysboots

Firefighters vote to strike over pensions

It's interesting that they're using the argument that 60 is too old to be a firefighter so it will be interesting to see the response that gets as surely the same applies to police officers?

• Like 1

This will be an interesting battle. Very interesting indeed...... Of course they can go on strike and guess who will be helping the replacement service. Another RARE opportunity to turn down the overtime en masse if ever I saw one. I await with bated breath.

They will get shafted they way we have,

LFB were asked about 18 months ago by the FBu "How many Firefighters do you have doing back office jobs, so if a FF is injured he could do that job?"

The reply, "NONE.. HMG told us to civilianise those roles so we did."  The writing is on the wall for both Fire Service & Us

Also I doubt there will even be the 48 Hr walkouts like 10 years ago, I personally suspect a more selective 12 Hrs or even 2 hours at a shift change over will be used as FF's have mortgages like us and cant afford to lose the pay, plus most of senior management are now non FBU members plus a number of normal staff, the shortfall will be made up

http://news.sky.com/story/1134719/firefighters-vote-for-strike-over-pensions

Let's wish them luck. I know there is often no love lost between us and Trumpton, but the outcome of this will be interesting.

I am usually against strike action but being robbed of one's promised pension is an exception to the rule.  Personally, I always enjoyed excellent relations with the Fire and Rescue Services and wish them all the best in their fight for justice,    

• Like 1

I suppose they could always call on the Army etc to help...... oh sorry, it's a long way from Camp Bastion!!!

I've just read on another forum that the RAF regiment as well as some army units were briefed a week or so ago about the possibility of filling in should the FBU strike.  Will the fire brigade share their toys though, now that Green Goddesses are a thing of the past? 

I wonder if their union mandated a minimum turn out for the ballot?

Good luck to them, but we have already rolled over and accepted the decimation of our pensions, I can't see it helping us in any way.

This will be an interesting battle. Very interesting indeed...... Of course they can go on strike and guess who will be helping the replacement service. Another RARE opportunity to turn down the overtime en masse if ever I saw one. I await with bated breath.

The same money grabbing idiots will jump at the chance , don't expect any to pass this overtime up . It should be a total boycott from the Police to support the FBU .

• Like 1

The same money grabbing idiots will jump at the chance , don't expect any to pass this overtime up . It should be a total boycott from the Police to support the FBU .

Don't expect that mate! Can't even help ourselves without helping anyone else.

Total and utter lost cause

But then again , their union got them a reduced increase in contributions (unlike our representatives). So who knows

Edited by Daza

The spin in the Sun today said they are going to get gold plated pensions of £26000. However when you look at it  they get £19000, then £7000 state pension at 66 yrs old. Typical political spin. The politicians should be ashamed with these obvious lies. Everybody gets a state pension and it is a disgrace to say they get this as part of their employment pension.

• Like 2

I've just read on another forum that the RAF regiment as well as some army units were briefed a week or so ago about the possibility of filling in should the FBU strike.  Will the fire brigade share their toys though, now that Green Goddesses are a thing of the past? 

It isn't the point about sharing their toys it is are they competent to use them. The FB go through constant training to keep them up to scratch and a serviceman/woman won't have the opportunity to do the same

There are 61 hidden replies in this thread that you do not currently have access to as a Guest User of our forum. To unlock the forum register for an account for FREE today by clicking HERE
Sign in to follow this