http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-23795088

The BBC news last night was some of the most upsetting I've ever seen.

Watching a child in the last throes of life, by all reports, the victim of a chemical weapon attack moved me to tears.

The BBC reported that the only people in the area who are capable of delivering those sorts of weapons in the way they were apparently delivered, is the Syrian government.

Last year Obama said that the use of chemical weapons would change things.

So, today, have things changed?  Do they look like changing?  No.  In a word, they don't.

Well.  They have for innocent Syrians.........their neighbourhoods are now more dangerous than ever.

All so that one man can stay in power.  FFS.

And what the the UN do?  f**k all as far as I, or anybody, can tell. 

A few years ago we went into Iraq on the premis that Sadam might have chemical weapons.  Now.  Syria has established that it more than just might have chemical weapons, but that it does have them and, as far as anybody can establish, is quite happy to use them against the civilian population.

Is is really the case that the combined Governments of that area and the world, can't sort this bloke out?  All the military might.  The political power.  And none of it can save the lives of children and innocent people just trying to live their lives.

What a world.  World leaders should be ashamed of themselves.

Time a few of them, f**k it, all of them, started thinking about what their mothers would say if they saw them doing f**k all to protect children.

It's a terrible dilemma. I suspect the lack of action from the West is down to 1) not having any money to wage any more wars and 2) that in recent times such interventions have resulted in the foreign troops being targeted by various groups who don't believe outsiders have a right to be there. Unfortunately it's the vulnerable and innocent who suffer the consequences.

In Syria we seem to support the rebels who are supported by Al Quiada funded by Iran, yet in Egypt we support the interim Government (Army) who have displaced the elected Government because it was the Muslim Brotherhood, supported by Iran. What is the difference ?  If we should learn anything, it is to keep out of Middle Eastern Politics. :unsure:

In past years we tried to broker peace between Iran and Iraq, and created two monsters, who blame the West for all their ills.

Edited by Zulu 22
  • Like 1

What annoys me is a world leader, or even The World Leader, stands up last year and tells the world that if Syria use chemical weapons then they'll regret it..........

So within a year they go ahead and use chemical weapons killing over 1,000 people, and the world stands there, rubs it's collective hands and says "Well, they shouldn't have done that, that's not good............".

As all coppers learn very early on - if you tell somebody what the consequences are if they misbehave, then watch them misbehave and you do nothing, then you might as well hang up your uniform and do something else.  And the naughty person becomes emboldens and continues to do entirely as he pleases.

If The World does nothing about this, then a lot more people are going to die horrible deaths..........and we'll get to watch it all in HD.........politicians disappoint me at the best of times, but this just typifies the joke that the UN is for starters.

The top story this morning on the DM site was about the use of chemical weapons in Syria.  Now it's about how Bear Grylls has installed a slide on his island.

Their moral compass is so far out of whack............

• Like 1

When I was in the Army I was an instructor in chemical defence and if indeed it was Sarin, it is truly dreadful, evil, stuff. We spent a week of the whole instructors course practicing how to deal with it. More than any other topic.

If they have used it, then they should be dealt with properly unfortunately Russia and China may very well veto  anything that looks like they may have to get involved on our side.

Our problem is we love to poke our nose into others business, our politicians still think of us as a world power and the leader of the Commonwealth that was. We poked our nose into Palastine and split the country, giving their land to the Jews,(no wonder the Palastinians hate us) we poked in India and caused massive problems, we poked Rhodesia when Smith declared UDI, and then gave it to Despot Mugabe, and look what he has done to the country, then we poke into Iraq trying to look big, and then Afghanistan, which is slowly going to pot.  Everywhere we go we leave a trail of destruction.    Must not forget the Mau Mau in Kenya, they wanted independence, but we wanted to keep it for us, and then the EOKA in Cyprus, plus the disaster by Anthony Eden trying to invade Egypt regarding the Suez Canal.   One thing HMG is excellent at is interfering.

• Like 3

The thing about Sarin is it is a very volatile liquid which evaporates quite quickly outside in warm climates which is why it is imperative that they get samples as soon as possible from the victims or the surrounding area otherwise the evidence will be lost. It will also pass out of deceased person within 48 hours. So If the Syrians don't play ball and allow the inspection of where the agent was suspected to be then there may be no positive proof that it was Sarin.

The Syrians are also suspected of having a quantity of agent 'VX' which is a viscous liquid a bit like thin motor oil that persists and doesn't evaporate and is far far worse than Sarin.

Incidentally, domestic Fly Sprays contain a very dilute liquid which is a derivative of a nerve agent - just thought you would appreciate that info!

'We' as a country are hypocritical too. We were quite prepared to bomb and strafe whole villages in Iraq in the 1920s and Churchill was happy to gas the Kurds 70 years before Saddam was condemned for the same thing.

"Churchill was particularly keen on chemical weapons, suggesting they be used "against recalcitrant Arabs as an experiment". He dismissed objections as "unreasonable". "I am strongly in favour of using poisoned gas against uncivilised tribes _ [to] spread a lively terror _" In today's terms, "the Arab" needed to be shocked and awed. A good gassing might well do the job."

I've never gassed anybody.

I have, however, donated some money to Save The Children as it seemed the only way to make sure that some kid, somewhere in the world, stands a better chance to grow up.  Like they all should have the opportunity to do.

In Syria we seem to support the rebels who are supported by Al Quiada funded by Iran, yet in Egypt we support the interim Government (Army) who have displaced the elected Government because it was the Muslim Brotherhood, supported by Iran. What is the difference ?  If we should learn anything, it is to keep out of Middle Eastern Politics. :unsure:

In past years we tried to broker peace between Iran and Iraq, and created two monsters, who blame the West for all their ills.

ZULU  

I have long considered you to be a man who thinks with his head rather than his heart and this pos confirms that.

We need more like people like you. 

I seem to remember Saddam Hussein is suspected of using Sarin against Kurds and 1000 died

We invaded Iraq due to the lies that Saddam possessed chemical weapons and I don't think there are many who will disagree with the proposition that Iraq and the surrounding region is now more unstable than before we invaded.

There will always be atrocities and strife in Middle Eastern countries. It is just the way life seems to be there and history tells us we should be wary of becoming involved with them.     

• Like 1

There are 90 hidden replies in this thread that you do not currently have access to as a Guest User of our forum. To unlock the forum register for an account for FREE today by clicking HERE