Sign in to follow this  
OldAfricaHand

A Peerage for Doreen Lawrence

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2381897/Baroness-Doreen-Stephen-Lawrences-mother-gets-peerage-20-years-racist-murder-son.html

As much as I feel sorry for the Lawrence family for the loss of their son and the turmoil that has surrounded the case for many years, I am somewhat at a loss to understand what justifies appointing Mrs Lawrence as a Baroness. I guess I am a cynic but I cannot help but think it is simply some form of politicking by Ed Milliband (who recommended the honour) as she will be a "working Labour peer" - whatever that might be?

Quite agree OAH, they hand them out to anyone these days.   Ed Miliband trying to curry favour with the electorate.

Doesn't feel appropriate. I think her effectiveness has been that she has been outside of the system. If she were to be a peer but not associated with a political party (don't know if that is possible), it would feel less co-opted.

Doesn't feel appropriate. I think her effectiveness has been that she has been outside of the system. If she were to be a peer but not associated with a political party (don't know if that is possible), it would feel less co-opted.

I think most peerages are recommended by political parties rather than in the twice-yearly Queen's Birthday & New Year's Honours Lists.

You are right, Croby', in saying her success was outside the system and, indeed, her success was recognised through the award of a CBE some years ago.

They will be handing out loads of peerages if every mother who had a son murdered got one.  Ms May and Bernard Hopeless- Howe are both scared to death of her, she only has to snap her fingers and she gets to see them.

I feel very sorry for her that she lost her son, and the crap way the Met dealt with it at the start, but she is almost paranoid about his murder and cannot seem to let go and get on with life.   Her husband seems more balanced about the murder and is getting on with his life without her.

• Like 1

Absolutely spot on Mav. It would appear that the establishment is petrified of her for fear of them all being labelled institutionally racist

• Like 1

There were a number of injustices that arose out of that whole matter. The first and biggest by far was the death of Stephen Lawrence at the hands of the scum that killed him. Other injustices involved the manipulation of the public with the term "institutionally racist".  

For well over a year the public were led to believe that it meant the vast majority of indivuduals in the Police did not like black people and therefore cared less and worked less hard to solve brutal murders against them. This was a lie.

Much later when the damage had been done a definition was provided that was much more realistic in that it was an organisational failure to understand the needs of a particular community leading to a diminished level of service. It also came out that officers at the scene had of Stephen Lawrence's murder despite not knowing what to do had tried their best to save him. All previously suppressed or ignored.

By this time the Metropolitan Police  had been portrayed as little more than heartless racists and the Lawrence's as most grief stricken parents had anger that needed direction.

The incompetencies and mistakes and unwitting organisational policy shortfalls became an image of white sneering racist Constables Policing the streets of London looking for a Rodney King to beat on. 

More interested in agenda than truth HMG allowed and even encouraged the distrust between the public and the Police.

If anyone now asks who was to blame for Stephen Lawrence's death, the first blurted answer from most people would be "the Metropolitan Police."

Doreen Lawrence continues to be angry at the Police and I think continues to blame them for her son's death.Perhaps more so than the monsters that actually did it.

How do you defend yourself against the anger of a grief stricken mother? There is nothing we can say, nothing we can do but soak up her anger and accept her blows meekly. She is the ultimate anti Police weapon and I think being on the side of those putting the evil Police in their place has become good Politics. -Increasing her status and bringing her into the fold is bringing another big gun onto the deck of HMS Milliband. I am cynical enough to think they will use her grief just like they use everything else. Whatever the case though it will not bode well for the Police who I believe to already be a mortally wounded organisation. 

HMS

• Like 7

There were a number of injustices that arose out of that whole matter. The first and biggest by far was the death of Stephen Lawrence at the hands of the scum that killed him. Other injustices involved the manipulation of the public with the term "institutionally racist".

For well over a year the public were led to believe that it meant the vast majority of indivuduals in the Police did not like black people and therefore cared less and worked less hard to solve brutal murders against them. This was a lie.

Much later when the damage had been done a definition was provided that was much more realistic in that it was an organisational failure to understand the needs of a particular community leading to a diminished level of service. It also came out that officers at the scene had of Stephen Lawrence's murder despite not knowing what to do had tried their best to save him. All previously suppressed or ignored.

By this time the Metropolitan Police had been portrayed as little more than heartless racists and the Lawrence's as most grief stricken parents had anger that needed direction.

The incompetencies and mistakes and unwitting organisational policy shortfalls became an image of white sneering racist Constables Policing the streets of London looking for a Rodney King to beat on.

More interested in agenda than truth HMG allowed and even encouraged the distrust between the public and the Police.

If anyone now asks who was to blame for Stephen Lawrence's death, the first blurted answer from most people would be "the Metropolitan Police."

Doreen Lawrence continues to be angry at the Police and I think continues to blame them for her son's death.Perhaps more so than the monsters that actually did it.

How do you defend yourself against the anger of a grief stricken mother? There is nothing we can say, nothing we can do but soak up her anger and accept her blows meekly. She is the ultimate anti Police weapon and I think being on the side of those putting the evil Police in their place has become good Politics. -Increasing her status and bringing her into the fold is bringing another big gun onto the deck of HMS Milliband. I am cynical enough to think they will use her grief just like they use everything else. Whatever the case though it will not bode well for the Police who I believe to already be a mortally wounded organisation.

HMS

Superb statement.

Will she sit next to Mr Winsor!.

To put it another way the Government of whatever colour is corrupt not allowing the truth to be told or so distorted that the truth is lost in all the smoke and mirrors..

Joseph Goebbels eat your heart out, you were just a beginner!

• Like 1

Yes it is of course it's sad that her son died all those years ago, but I wonder if she will be paid that very large sum of money that is paid to peers for each day they sit in the house. Need I say more.

Yes it is of course it's sad that her son died all those years ago, but I wonder if she will be paid that very large sum of money that is paid to peers for each day they sit in the house. Need I say more.

Peers are paid "expenses" for each day they sit in The House of Lords.

Currently £300 per day - TAX FREE.

If a peer attended for 3 days a week that's £900 or £47,000 p.a. - TAX FREE, or almost £4,000 per month.

Cameron has created the largest number of peers per year (on average). So much for austerity, eh ? It appears it does not apply to those in Westminster. 

• Like 1

I was in the Met at the time of the Stephen Lawrence murder and its aftermath and attended quite a few seminars and lectures in its wake, and I seem to remember that the McPherson report called for reform of the civil service, the NHS, the education system and the judicial system who were all criticised as having 'institutional racism' problems - yet we don't seem to hear much of that do we? 

• Like 3

There are 28 hidden replies in this thread that you do not currently have access to as a Guest User of our forum. To unlock the forum register for an account for FREE today by clicking HERE
Sign in to follow this