Sign in to follow this  
skydiver

3 1/2 Years for Manslaughter

Words fail me as to how sentencing guidelines and the judge could have given Dixon such a short sentence

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-23450760

I understand that there was a guilty plea and that the judge accepted that Dixon didn't intend to kill PC Findley, but a sentence like this will do nothing to act as a preventative to stop other people doing the same thing.  Dixon might have got a longer sentence if he had been charged with GBH!

It is time for the CPS to put on the gloves and appeal against the light sentence. I sincerely hope they do.

It shouldn't matter that he didn't intend to kill him, he threw the punch that caused his death.   Should have got ten years at least. 

I'm not being racist, but nearly everytime you pick up the paper, or see the news, it appears that a disproportionate number of defendants in murders

or stabbings are from the ethnic community.  No doubt the |PC Brigade won't like it, but they will never admit the truth because it hurts them.

Mav you're right but unfortunately in this day and age you're not allowed to point that out or you're accused of being racist.

Stop and search is a prime example. More violent crimes committed by young black males and as a result more young black males are stopped and searched but this is reported purely as "more young black males are stop and searched" without any of the background to show why. Is it any wonder we are classed as institutionally racist when this is going on? Maybe if the full facts were reported it would be different

This sentence is outrageous and, as BR said, CPS should appeal the sentence (after all, there is an appeal in against the light sentence given for historical sex offences; so it should follow that a light sentence for a killing should be appealed - or are there particularly PC reasons why these cases should be treated differently?)

I am not racist (at least I think my black wife and black sons don't think so!) but I am realist and Mav's suggestion is correct. Sadly, it has always been the case in some parts of UK - in the 60s, 70s & 80s, using Sec 4 Vagrancy Act 1824 & Sec 66 Met Police Act 1829 in London, 000s of IC3 youths were stopped re movements & re possession (of all sorts of stuff - cars, bags etc) - the reason they were stopped is that a disproportionate number of street crimes against victims of all colours were carried out by black youths; in some places this is still the case.

I'm pretty certain that most of the gobby politically-correct folk who shout about race and accuse others of racism have no real experience of the realities of life ................. that includes those ethnic minority liberals who live in middle-class areas and who only remember their colour when it affects others and not themselves! 

The bottom line is that this scrote killed a Police Officer - he should be locked up & the key thrown away - he didn't mean to do it - oh yes - he didn't care - until he got caught! :angry:  :angry:  :angry:

• Like 1

Apparently, Stuart Hall's sentence has been doubled on appeal.

So maybe the CPS should be pressing this case now - but I would want to see significantly more than double the sentence already imposed.

Words fail me as to how sentencing guidelines and the judge could have given Dixon such a short sentence

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-23450760

I understand that there was a guilty plea and that the judge accepted that Dixon didn't intend to kill PC Findley, but a sentence like this will do nothing to act as a preventative to stop other people doing the same thing. Dixon might have got a longer sentence if he had been charged with GBH!

Skydiver thanks for posting this. Nothing is on the national news other than someone giving birth without event. I want to know what is being done by:

1) The federation

2) The poor lads senior management

3) the Courts

4) the Home Secretary

5) us as individual officers

People boo and hiss if anyone ever suggests that Police officers go on strike BUT this is what happens when our neutrality continues! We as officers could end this NOT simply for officers but for all people! As I understand it the poor lad wasn't acting as a Constable he was just responding to an incident as he found it. That could have been anyone not just an officer.

To me the intention to kill shouldn't have been a factor in determining the duration of the custodial because:

1) it isn't needed to satisfy the definition of manslaughter

2) in a wider sense the courts are not simply there to punish crimes but to set an example in order to prevent more offences taking place. This is thuggery in the streets we all share. Drunken violence.

Is it just me or was it a bad idea for a (singular) Judge to redefine British law and say officers couldn't expect to obtain a prosecution for sec 5 pub order without civilian witnesses THUS effectively removing the power of arrest!

This idiot is now a 19 year old Cop killer who will (I presume) only do 2/3 rds of his time inside and come out a criminal hero in his early 20's having not suffered or had time to reform while the family of the victim live with this tragedy for ever!

As for pleading early......as always I suspect this was done only because it was the best option for him!

What a disgrace!!

Edited by twohopes2012

Sorry about the smiley face! Something to do with the I - PAD and brackets!

Edited by 999tommo
I've sorted it. B followed by a closed bracket, creates a smiley, so you need to put a space between.

The DPP was on the radio this evening and talking about the doubling of the sentence for that kiddie-fiddler from television who got his sentence doubled and in the conversation he stated that an appeal usually is started following an appeal by someone other than the CPS. This can be one complaint or hundreds they all carry the same weight (Oh Yeah!!!) and usually it is someone connected with the injured party. Only in rare cases does the DPP instigate an appeal from his office.

If he had punched Kate Middleton and killed her would he:

A ) Get convicted of manslaughter

B ) get a short custodial

?????????????????????????????????

Hopefully, neither! Before he had got close enough to carry it out, I hope he would have been shot dead by her Protection Officers

• Like 1

Sentencing for mansluaghter caused by a single punch has always been a hot potato. I've been punched in the face (and punched people in the face during my rugby days I must admit) and the worst I've had is a black eye and a split lip. On another day I could have been killed by a single punch. The likelihood of killing somebody with a single punch is very low and the sentencing in these sorts of cases tends to reflect that.

Sentencing for mansluaghter caused by a single punch has always been a hot potato. I've been punched in the face (and punched people in the face during my rugby days I must admit) and the worst I've had is a black eye and a split lip. On another day I could have been killed by a single punch. The likelihood of killing somebody with a single punch is very low and the sentencing in these sorts of cases tends to reflect that.

Be that as it may, this was a young drunken thug - he needed to be made an example of but that didn't happen. The consequence of that is that other little scrotes-about-town will think they can take a pop at people without consequences. He KILLED a man who happened to be a Police Officer, sworn to uphold The Queen's Peace, and, at the very least he should be serving 10+ years. :angry:

• Like 3

Well I would have sent you off for that, rathy loutish, behaviour and the RFU would have suspended you for a very long time.

• Like 1

There are 21 hidden replies in this thread that you do not currently have access to as a Guest User of our forum. To unlock the forum register for an account for FREE today by clicking HERE
Sign in to follow this