Maverick22

Voluntary Severance

Staffordshire has become the first force to accept V.S, 24 officers have been given the 'go-ahead' to leave and are working their 3 months notice.

Most are PC's and Sergeants, with several inspecting ranks, and 1 Superintendent.  They receive one months pay for each years service, up to

21 years.    One officer has 28 years service and many are middle service officers(no actual figures have been given other than the total number).

Staffordshire will not say how many applied but they needed to reduce officer numbers by 50,  

I think this has already been mentioned in another thread a few days ago, but I don't have time to hunt for it just now.

It says allot when an officer of 28 years takes VS rather than stomach 2 more years for a full pension.  I know it doesn't say but it would be interesting to see how many applicants they had.

The one with 28 years might be an Inspector or above and therefore eligible to buy out the rest of the pension (I still don't understand why that doesn't apply to everyone!)?

Yup,

This is being discussed on other threads. There's a FOI request in the works to get all the detail - interestingly Staffs accepted VR requests from four officers on career breaks....

Question: with the VS it is based on how close you are to retirement age, what happens in the future where some of us have two pensions 1 for the 1987 scheme and 1 from the 2015 scheme? I have three possible retirement ages of 50,55,60 which one do you think they will use?  If they went for the latter one (60) based on current salary I could walk at 50 with a £14000 pa pension and VS lumper of £63900 now that would be worth considering.....

• Like 2

This has been described better elsewhere, but the closer you are to be able to retire on a maximum unreduced pension, the less VR you get.

In simple terms - as I understand it, and please correct me, the figures I saw said if you have under 25 years service and take VR you get what you have put in to your pension at 55

If you have over 25 years and go on VR, you would get whatever you put in at 50...

Once you start throwing in the 2006 and 2015 pensions it gets very silly because the retirement ages vary. That might be a good reason, if thinking about VR, to take it before 2015 when things get more complicated !

Here's the Home Zoffice examples for VR

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jk1w88i79octjmn/Voluntary%20Exit%20Scheme%20worked%20examples%20V1%20master.pdf

Edited by Picard999

Though the exaples above put the ages at 60/55, not 55/50.

You'd think, given how crucial that figure is for many, that there would be more clarity!

I went to a financial seminar last year where the advisor said they would expect people would be allowed to negotiate when they got their pension if they accepted VS - the lack of detail is infuriating!

Having looked at the document, it looks as though if you take VS with less than 25 years' service, you will have to wait up to 10 years longer for your pension - who would do that?

Also - an officer who has worked part-time, but still has 21 full years of reckonable service, gets £55,000 but a full-time officer with 20 years' service gets £60,000. How the hell do they justify that?

Having looked at the document, it looks as though if you take VS with less than 25 years' service, you will have to wait up to 10 years longer for your pension - who would do that?

Also - an officer who has worked part-time, but still has 21 full years of reckonable service, gets £55,000 but a full-time officer with 20 years' service gets £60,000. How the hell do they justify that?

If you were reasonably young in service, say 10 to 15 years in, your pension had just been knobbled, you were going to have to work an extra ten years, you'd lost SPP, CRTP, 3 years of pay rises, a year at 1% pay rise, with more scheduled....you thoughht you were 15 away from retiring and that suddenly became 25...

You might say: Actually, I don't need this. I'll take your 45K ish and go and do something else thanks...

I'm sure other forces will be watching the success of the Staffs experiment with interest...as soon as we know how many actually applied, that'll be a good barometer of opinion...

Interesting that Staffs PREFERRED VR to A19, even though it appears to be the more expensive option (short term) - but then we have moved into the 'spend to save' phase of austerity...

Hasn't A19 been ruled to be unlawful?

No - forces have stopped it (except West Mids) pending the result of several tribunals in the Autumn....

There are 16 hidden replies in this thread that you do not currently have access to as a Guest User of our forum. To unlock the forum register for an account for FREE today by clicking HERE