Sign in to follow this  
linzi.mccormick88

Detention Officer

Hello there,

I applied to be a detention Officer at the end of May this year, passed the assessment day .I then went to my interview last Wednesday but unfortunetely missed the call from the Sargeant to let me know my out come. I then recieved an email saying that my interview was successful, but unfortunetely they have no vacancies at the moment. They will keep my record on file and if any spaces come up in the next 12 months they will contact me.

I am confused as i know they were looking for a few dentetion officers. Does this happen quite frequently? Or does this mean im more than likely not going to get the job. I am just confused as the email didnt have much detail and i do not know whether to contact recruitment for more information or just wait in hope?

Many Thanks

Linzi

Linzi, Sorry to hear about your predicament but you do not mention which force you applied too and as there are 43 forces in the country plus a few non Home Office ones that have detention officers, it is impossible to say. In any case as there are so many other variables which could affect your appointment, without intentionally sounding flippant, no one can foretell the future. I wish you good luck anyway.

Hello, thanks for the reply! It is with Cambridgeshire police. I'm sure it would be a lot more clear to me if I had spoken to the sergeant directly. But from the email saying I was successful it just threw me off a bit . Thank you for replying I hope something does come of it.

The same thing happened with my current job, I received a letter saying I was successful however all positions had been taken and I was on a reserve list. I got a phone call 5 days later giving me a start date. 

This is probably just because of budget cuts, don't look too much into it. From what I've read elsewhere, a lot of people are getting cut due to funding, even in the recruitment process.

Linzi, with any luck it's as He Highway Man suggests. They advertise for given positions, say they have three posts and interview 100 people, they may find 6 people who are ideal for the post, so they are 'successful'. They pick what they feel are the best three and employ them, but know that perhaps one won't want the job, one might take the job and simply not make it and one might stay. They don't want to tell the other 94 that they are all unsuccessful, so pick double the number they need and keep them on file as standby employees for such eventualities as described above. You may get a call next week, next month, or unfortunately not at all.

The above scenario is not connected with Cambridgeshire, just an example of what may be happening. If you want reassurance, there is no harm in phoning recruitment for clarification of what the email means. Good luck.

Oh and welcome to the forum by the way !!

Tommo

I do remember the Sergeant saying in the interview that they were looking to take on one straight away and then bring more in over the next few months , but like I said I was just curious of this happens a lot

My force (not Cambs) recruits for a 'suitability pool' for jobs where there is reasonable turnover do rather than go to the time and expense of the recruiting process every few weeks they 'bulk order'. So they may have 3 vacancies now but know that in the next year they will need 5 more so they pick 8 applicants, 3 for the vacancies and 5 to slot in as and when needed.

Do you think it's worth giving them a call? Just for clarification?

You've got nothing to lose.

Sign in to follow this