#1 saffaguy

saffaguy

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 07:55 PM

Good evening

I am new to this forum and need some help.

I have an assessment day coming up for the regs and was wondering if anyone that has passed this recently have any good tips on what books I should get to prepare me. I am particularly looking at the numerical reasoning test and if there are any books or online pages I could look at to practice.

I believe the assessment day has changed since November 2012 and the tests are a lot more difficult. 

Thank you for all your help.

#2 skydiver

skydiver

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 09:23 AM

I don't know about books but I would recommend some sort of preparation day course.  Have a look on line and see what you can find.  Also check with your prospective force as some offer their own course.  When I joined my force offered a free day long course which i found very useful.  I also met someone on my course who I buddied up with to do role plays etc prior to the assessment.

#3 Lornz2013

Lornz2013

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 03:32 PM

Big Tip - Do not focus on the numerical test !!... focus on your examples for the interview... the numerical is a very small percentage  of the test and if you find your running out of time.. just tick guess the answers

#4 rappo984

rappo984

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 12:40 AM

Hi there,

I attended the Police assessment centre for Suffolk Police back in 2008 & got in, only to receive a letter two weeks before my start date stating that the Prime Minister had frozen recruitment in line with austerity measures! 5 years later, Essex Police have opened their recruitment doors, so I am starting the whole process again!

When I did the AC the role plays were an extremely important part of the process, my advice would be to practice with a partner and role play how you would deal with an unsatisfied customer, a difficult customer and a customer who wants to complain about your staff.

The big top tip here is respect for race & diversity (RRD) This will seal your fate should you make a bad judgement on this subject. Study this topic and find out how you would deal with it correctly.

Good luck.

#5 rach_ped

rach_ped

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 05:18 PM

Does anyone know if you need to get a certain percentage in the numerical reasoning...I sat my assessment centre yesterday and think I messed up epically on that bit :( it's a shame as I felt the rest went ok!

#6 Response Pleb

Response Pleb

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 08:11 AM

Get some coaching. I used a company called Talking Blues based in the North West; they prepared me for the assessment centre and I passed the whole thing first time. It's well worth investing in your future.

#7 saffaguy

saffaguy

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 10:02 AM

Get some coaching. I used a company called Talking Blues based in the North West; they prepared me for the assessment centre and I passed the whole thing first time. It's well worth investing in your future.

I say my assessment back in September and passed. I did use a company called ESA. Very good and I recommend anyone sitting an assessment day to use a company like them, very useful.

#8 Jamesjtite

Jamesjtite

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 04:15 PM

As asked previously in this thread does anyone know the pass percentage for the numerical reasoning test?

Also does anyone know if it is a computer test or still a pencil and paper based test?

Saffaguy did you pass your assessment centre?

#9 saffaguy

saffaguy

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 05:18 PM

I passed back in September. It is still a pencil and paper test. I don't think there is a percentage pass mark that anyone knows for the numeracy test.

#10 Jamesjtite

Jamesjtite

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 06:49 PM

Cheers buddy, and was there any calculator based test?

Rumours of different things I've heard floating round.

Congrats on passing!

#11 saffaguy

saffaguy

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 10:17 AM

The maths test is calculator based.

#12 techie1

techie1

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts
  • LocationThe cold dark server room, watching the flashing lights.

Posted 21 February 2014 - 03:01 PM

The maths test is calculator based.

Do they supply the calculator, or expect you to bring your own? :D

#13 saffaguy

saffaguy

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 03:17 PM

They provide the calculator for you.

#14 Jamesjtite

Jamesjtite

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 10:16 AM

Saffaguy what force did you apply to? Do you know if all of the different forces run the same assessment day in terms of the calculator based test I mean?

Thanks

#15 999tommo

999tommo

Forum Member

• Moderators
  • 7712 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 12:41 PM

Surely if they want you to bring a calculator, they would tell you in your written instructions.
"It is always better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open your mouth and confirm it. "

#16 saffaguy

saffaguy

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 05:18 PM

Saffaguy what force did you apply to? Do you know if all of the different forces run the same assessment day in terms of the calculator based test I mean?

Thanks

All forces run the same assessment day except BTP, MOD and CNC. So all home office forces. They provide a calculator on the day. That makes it fair to everyone. All calculators will be the same. This is so no one can complain and say someone else had an advantage because their calculator was better.

#17 HMService

HMService

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1558 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 06:35 PM

Maths with a calculator.....What is being tested beyond finger dexterity exactly??

Or is there trigonometry or something that might need log tables etc?

Edited by HMService, 22 March 2014 - 06:37 PM.

All it takes for evil to thrive is that good men do nothing......

#18 999tommo

999tommo

Forum Member

• Moderators
  • 7712 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 05:52 AM

I assume the idea is that if you know how to do the calculation, then what method you use is only time specific. In the modern world we all have a ready calculator on our mobile phone.
"It is always better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open your mouth and confirm it. "

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users