Penbwlch

2013 Local Elections - Results and Comments

I have started this thread as a container for all the news and comments that will result from today's local elections.

Personally, I just hope that the Cons/LibDems get a bloody nose.

• Like 1

I have started this thread as a container for all the news and comments that will result from today's local elections.

Let's hope so Pen. although i'm sure that all they will say is that it is mid-term for HMG and so 'it's what we expected.' They (the coalition) seem to be oblivious as to the views of the electorate as a whole, or they are simply not interested at all in what people think. At their peril I hope.

I must say I'm a bit disillusioned with so called "local" politics. Candidates seem more interested promoting the national policies of their parties rather than thinking about the local issues that matter to local voters.

I live in Scotland so the vote today doesn't have much to do with me but I doubt things are any different elsewhere in the UK. The area is an SNP stronghold through and through. As much as I despise the SNP I can't help but feel they do a far better job of listening to voters when it comes to local issues. Way back when we had a Labour dominated council they ran the council into the ground because they were more interested in pushing the policies of the party in Westminster at a local level and they've struggled to gain a single seat since.

That is the big problem.  Local Councillors forget who they are supposed to be representing.  Their constituents, not

those apes at Westminster.  All they need is a Judas goat to follow.

Let me be the first to state the obvious.

Mid term elections always give the incumbents a bloody nose...

But on top of that, I expect a knock out.

Is there anyone left the condems haven't upset?

I suspect UKIP are about to make an awful lot of hay....

Let me be the first to state the obvious.

Mid term elections always give the incumbents a bloody nose...

But on top of that, I expect a knock out.

Is there anyone left the condems haven't upset?

I suspect UKIP are about to make an awful lot of hay....

Old Etonians? :o

• Like 1

Do you think compulsory voting for those 18 and over would be beneficial or not?

Q

Not unless accompanied by an exam to prove that you know what you are voting for. The biggest problem is people voting for someone because they like their image.

Because of the historically low turnouts we have seen over the years, many people are calling for a system of compulsory voting. I'm not sure that is the way forward. People young and old would, I fear, simply put a cross just anyway because it would be the law for them to vote, and if that happened where would that get us on the election front ?

Pen. it looks as though you are going to have your wish granted from what i've seen on the news so far.

Let's be honest though none of them, whether it be local or parliamentary elections, are interested in representing the electorate they're all going to push party issues. That's been clearly seen for years now. How many times have people written/spoken to their MP/councillor and have them agree with them only for them to trot out the party line on the issue?

Personally I think they're all a bunch of lying, self centered, good for nothings

• Like 1

Let's be honest though none of them, whether it be local or parliamentary elections, are interested in representing the electorate they're all going to push party issues. That's been clearly seen for years now. How many times have people written/spoken to their MP/councillor and have them agree with them only for them to trot out the party line on the issue?

Personally I think they're all a bunch of lying, self centered, good for nothings

BlackRat, I agree with your sentiment, however, I think they are even worse than that :angry:

Wouldn't it be great if individuals became MPs with no party allegiance and when something needed to be voted on the individual voted with the best will for the country. We could do this.........whoops, woke up!

Sadly, that would appear to be the nature of the political beast, and while I think we should do our best to introduce more candour and integrity into politics we currently have to make do with the best of a bad bunch and choose the lesser of the several political evils available to us.

For me, at the moment, this is a fairly easy choice as the main Ukip policy is to extract the UK from the EU, which is an extremely corrupt political entity and one which costs the UK £billions which we could used in better ways. If the EU is not quite yet a dead duck it is certainly an ailing ass. 

I congratulate Mr Farage on the success of his Party in the E&W local elections and hope the Coalition will listen to what the Electorate are telling them. 

There are 35 hidden replies in this thread that you do not currently have access to as a Guest User of our forum. To unlock the forum register for an account for FREE today by clicking HERE