harrier74

PSNI assistance during G8

Well, as expected mainland cops to do mutual aid re G8 in NI.

Problem is, the comments on POLICE ORACLE NEWS are almost entirely.....NO re all the recent pay & pension reductions & also staffing cuts.

This could be a bit of an upset for Cameron.

Sorry.....

How about this.....

POLICE ORACLE reports that mainland officers will be used for mutual aid in NI, to back up PSNI during the G8 period.

Peoples comments, added at the bottom of the article rather indicate that volunteers will be thin on the ground. This could be extremely embarrassing for Cameron!

Went to see the Titanic Exhibition a few weeks ago, it was carp so don't feel any desire to go there again (compared to the travelling Titanic exhibition that we saw in London a few years ago)

Also, when I went the Union flag was still flying over City hall and so safe to take my children into see the very limited areas that the public are allowed access to.

Been there, done it, won't go again.

Unfortunately there will always be the needy and the greedy brackets who will take the cash for reasons that overide the bigger picture of sticking 2 fingers up Cameron. I work with officers that fit into both categories and they wouldn't hesitate......hope I'm wrong though.

I'm lucky to be financially secure so it's easier for me to work to the rules and withdraw my goodwill, which naturally I have been doing for months. Some people are struggling, others would sell their soles for a short term gain.

Who's going to protect the unarmed mainland officers while they are protecting the politicians

Absolutely! whole situation is a farce. Mainland officers aren't armed so they're nothing short of liabilities which PSNI can't afford to babysit. As far as I'm concerned, stay where you're at.

• Like 1

It's madness, but so was the decision to hold the G8 here. I mean, come on! Having unarmed officers on the ground in Fermanagh is a disaster waiting to happen, and if the the English and Welsh feds haven't the inclination to oppose it then the NI fed should speak up.

Also, hardly anyone will be able to drive our vehicles (Land Rover Tangi) as they require a special course and a C1 category on the licence. Maybe you could bring some diesel Astras?

• Like 1

In my opinion you would need to be mad to volunteer for this. In the last week an officer was attacked at his home and an explosive device was thrown at a police land rover in Belfast. And that's just the stuff that was reported in the press!

In these conditions the last place I would want to be is near the border in a police uniform with no firearm, you might as well paint a big target on your back!

And I agree, bad idea to host the g8 in NI, I can only assume that Beirut and tripoli weren't available!

Folks, put it in perspective. Yes Northern Ireland is messed up, yes it can be violent. It is not a war zone. We reside with a security threat that is serious. It has been serious since 1969. Bad things happen, but being hysterical about it doesn't help. I don't belong to the sand bag brigade but think about this... as a NPT officer I flew on Puma helicopters with military support to provide a service. That is not required anymore. Come for the experience, you may see a different side to policing and you may enjoy it. You will meet a truly cross community group of officers who are comrades working in exceptional circumstances. As Police we have to step up to the mark and do our duty. It would be worthwhile for some to remember that.

• Like 2

There are 425 hidden replies in this thread that you do not currently have access to as a Guest User of our forum. To unlock the forum register for an account for FREE today by clicking HERE