Sign in to follow this  
Timbo67

"Tory vermin"

"No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred for the Tory Party. So far as I am concerned they are lower than vermin.-Aneurin Bevan"

So said Aneurin Bevan over 60 years ago. In light of recent government policy I wonder how manyof us now agree with him.

I am attempting to stimulate debate on a forum designed for this purpose. You will note if you have read the post correctly that I am just showing a quote by another person, at a time when the British police service if facing its biggest threat since it was created. I welcome debate, or if you wish bury your head in the sand, its up to you.

Was this the Aneurin Bevan who was a member of Churchill's War Cabinet and sent countless young men down the mines? If so, his "deep burning hatred for the Tory Party" was obviously something he could stomach when the need arose ................

Was this the Aneurin Bevan who was a member of Churchill's War Cabinet and sent countless young men down the mines? If so, his "deep burning hatred for the Tory Party" was obviously something he could stomach when the need arose ................

No that was Ernest Bevin a diffirent fellow.

Irrespective Timbo67 the remark can be construed as offensive and using it will not change the situation one iota. Was it really necessary? Could you not have worded differently it to get the same impact ?

Oddly enough, I might call the Labour Party vermin, since it was their mismanagement which got us into this situation in the first place.

• Like 1

Oddly enough, I might call the Labour Party vermin, since it was their mismanagement which got us into this situation in the first place.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

You can't construct a quote differently...or it wouldn't be a quote any more...might have helped to put it in quotation marks, though, as well as satisfying the grammar pedants among us!

It might also be more appropriate to hate what they are doing - unless you know some of them personally. :tongue_cheek:

I am attempting to stimulate debate on a forum designed for this purpose. You will note if you have read the post correctly that I am just showing a quote by another person, at a time when the British police service if facing its biggest threat since it was created. I welcome debate, or if you wish bury your head in the sand, its up to you.

Who chose the offensive title, I presume that you did. Or is there someone else you would like ti blame?

If it's a quote by another person, perhaps you could ascribe the quote, please.

It's not at all clear from your first post that those are not your words.

I have attributed the quote in my original post for those that didnt read the pragraph below, clearly attributing it to Bevan

I make no apology for the the title..

To answer the original poster, why hate the Tory party? It is not a Tory government, but a coalition. Yes I agree they are far from perfect, and I suppose in an ideal world you need one ruling party. However the other option of Labour again which fills me with dread and a feeling that we will add to the list of Ireland, Spain, Greece etc and our once rich country won't have a pot to p*ss in, just a two trillion debt instead of the one.....

• Like 1

There are 8 hidden replies in this thread that you do not currently have access to as a Guest User of our forum. To unlock the forum register for an account for FREE today by clicking HERE
Sign in to follow this