http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2186931/Another-police-commissioner-candidate-stands--minor-crime-committed-teenager-47-years-ago.html Ms May will be embarrassed over these situations. Who is surprised at that, it was poorly thought out right from the start, and it is the responsibility of the Home Office to get it right at the start. We still do not know who a Chief Constable can appeal to if a PCC sacks him. Very poor legislation with regard to PCC's, by a totally incompetent Home Office, and it's leader, Ms May, and that buffoon, Police Minister, Herbert.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2185461/Police-commissioner-candidate-forced-stand-fined-5-teenager-group-boys-fired-air-gun-1966.html

No MP who was involved in the expences scandal should be allowed to apply, they have proved themselves untrustworthy, in stealing taxpayers money.

I think a more fair system would be that no current or ex member of parliament can stand for the election of the PCC.

I think we're on a slippy slope letting the parties get so close with such single handed control.

Welcome MrBob.

You're right. The position should be apolitical.

As it stands the Tories will get most of the seats although hardly anybody will vote for them, and then Cameron will have even more pressure to be vicariously exerted on the CCs of each force.

Nick Herbert, the Police Minister was on the BBC News this morning talking about PCC's. Typical of all politicians, he was asked approx 9 times by Evan Davis, if only 10-15% of voters turn out to vote for a PCC, would you call that satisfactory, he failed to answer each time. He goes on about all the information required is on the Internet, but most of the country is not on the internet, and Herbert says that HMG cannot afford to have an advertizing campaign in the hope of more people voting. 99% of the people I speak to haven't the slightest interest in who is the PCC is in their area, they just want the Police to carry on doing their job. I have a feeling that the turnout of voters in November will be as low as 5% in some areas.

• Like 1

Yes, I heard that interview too - thought Evan Davis was very good.......kept on at him and Herbert wouldn't, in fact, refused to answer.

I was hoping that Mr. Davis would just stop the interview and tell Herbert that he wouldn't continue in a pointless conversation....................

I reckon 20% voter turnout tops.

The Head of the Electoral Reform Society has just been on the BBC News. They are predicting a turn out of just 18% for the November election of PCC's.(they predict the lowest turn out ever for any type of election in the UK) They say that if it is as low as that it cannot represent the true views of the public. There has not been a proper display of details of people wanting to become PCC's, except on line, and because of the poor advertising by HMG only a very small percentage of the population know, or understand what it is all about. HMG says that if people want to know about PCC's they can write to HMG for a pamphlet with details. 98% of the population haven't the slightest interest in PCC's, and in a recent poll, 87% of people didn't even know that there were Police Authorities, and what they did. All the population want is the police to do their job, they couldn't care a toss about PCC's.

• Like 2

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-19293702 Just more rubbish from Herbert who seems to have little idea what he is talking about. Does he really think that these PCC(Power Crazy Commissioners)people will not want to poke their noses into operational descisons. Can anyone see Prescott not interfering.
  • Like 1

But Mav - this isn't about what the public wants..............and we all know it.

This is all about what the TORIES want - more political control of the police.......disgusting.......and still we shake their hands and allow ourselves to be used as 'propoganda' on the streets, have our photo taken with them.

• Like 3

Apart from being ever so slightly disturbed by the political involvement into the otherwise non political police service, I fail to see or understand why we have to have this,yet another level of bureaucracy. The salaries these people will be getting is astronomic when we are trying to save money being spent sorry, wasted unnecessarily.

The Police Authorities are I believe largely unpaid and cost the country relatively little and in most cases they are composed of people who have a real idea of life and what it is about. They have served us well so why change it. Unless of course it is to have undue influence on the service.

I personally think that Cameron is facinated by Americanisms and he sees them as a good idea

I think 18% is a tad optimistic. I have had a lot to do with my Police Authority over the past 10 years having given them countless presentations. Whilst I’ve always found them polite never have I every truly believed they had any impact on how the service operated in my area. So a change might be a good thing, after all we ought to be held to account.

However, the two ‘political’ candidates in my area don’t give me any reassurance. One is a wealthy Tory, who sold his successful business a while back and now ‘does’ politics for something to do, need I say more? The other has been fronted by the Labour Party and already sits on our Authority, and having met them a few times, and despite being a ‘nice person’ doesn’t have the intellectual strength to perform effectively in the role.

So, one with try and run us as a business and try to control everything the Chief Constable, the other will nod a lot and give the Chief free reign because they just don’t have a Scooby doo!

I hope it’s closer to 10% and its validity as a truly representative view legally challenged …. Or we’re even more doomed.

Cpt D

• Like 1

I'm sure when I swore my Oath, there was mention of............erm..........what's her title?..............erm...........oh yes. The Queen..............she's not mentioned in the PCC 'oath'. That oath is based on sod all and will mean nothing.

As has been stated, the likes of Prescott won't be able to help themselves............

I'm sure when I swore my Oath, there was mention of............erm..........what's her title?..............erm...........oh yes. The Queen..............she's not mentioned in the PCC 'oath'. That oath is based on sod all and will mean nothing.

As has been stated, the likes of Prescott won't be able to help themselves............

Personally, I think that helping themselves is the only thing on their agenda. :angry:

Bikerider

Just a quick point, Police Authority members get £9,000 a year, each of the municipal forces have to have 17 members by law (I think), so a PA is not cheap.

Cpt D

Bikerider

Just a quick point, Police Authority members get £9,000 a year, each of the municipal forces have to have 17 members by law (I think), so a PA is not cheap.

Cpt D

Indeed CP - but you don't do a job for 9K a year for the salary - I bet that just about covers their costs...........

I don't know a single member that just sits on the PA, it's often just one of many such positions they hold so it all mounts up.

They don't meet every week nor do most attend community meetings any more - because no one turned up! Compare them to a governing body at a large secondary school or academy who don't get paid at all and who are in my experience more involved in the school community, then they are expensive (in my opinion).

Cpt D

There are 474 hidden replies in this thread that you do not currently have access to as a Guest User of our forum. To unlock the forum register for an account for FREE today by clicking HERE