Hi all, been trying to find info on airbags in steering wheels but to no avail

looking at buying a new steering wheel (enclosed picture for those interested, super-cool, i know B))

3520lmp.jpg

It comes with the option of no airbag, and to be honest i don't want the airbag in it, but are there any legal issues that say I MUST have an airbag in my steering wheel? There are other airbags in the car.

thanks all

Isn't this a question for your car insurance company?

Why would it be a question for my car insurance company?

Why would it be a question for my car insurance company?

I do not believe that airbags are a legal requirement in the UK (I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong).

But as you are planning a modification to your vehicle maybe it's something that you should speak/notify your insurance company about anyway.

Thanks for the reply, I will be sure to notify insurance company! I was just unsure as to whether I had to have an airbag in my steering wheel, thanks.

I'd rather have an airbag and no frippary foolish steering wheel, but then I quite like my face the way it is.

• Like 1

PaulK, on your way out tomorrow, pop into the first MOT station you pass, and ask them about airbag requirements - they will tell you if they are mandatory or not. As has been pointed out before, an item can be sold legally, but not used legally, so that wheel may be for show but not go, if you get my drift. Having driven in the days before seatbelts, I can assure you that a face full of metal steering wheel is not to be recommended. Mind you, many have said a face full of airbag is not much fun either.

If your car was fitted with an airbag when it was manufactured and you remove it for whatever reason then, in the event of a crash and serious injury , or indeed any injury they could be quite within their rights to with hold all or part of any payment.

Since you want to remove the airbag, you won't be able to rely on it's protection in the event of an accident. I think removing any safety feature is plain stupid. Why don't you weld a huge metal spike to the middle of the steering wheel, pointing firmly at your chest. You will be sure to drive very carefully and the fact that you have no airbag will be of no consequence.

Oh... and since this is really a road policing relating matter, I'll move this thread into that section.

The New MOt test tes includes warning lights for airbags, so you would have to strip out all the warnings etc.- assumng that doesn't impinge on other systems ( seat belt restraints). Just noted you have additional bags fitted that would make it even more complex, unless you want to deactivate them as well!!!!!!!!!

AFAI can find, there is not a legal requirment to fit and retain fitment.

You would need to inform the insurers as it wuld alter the risk they would perceive you may get in an accident. As an after thought, if your were injured and the innocent party, you could find difficulty reslving the remove airbag and any additinal injuries you may have sustained due to its removal.

Is that steering wheel really so desirable?

• Like 1

It may be a bit late in coming into the debate but it may give some guidence for this memeber or others.

The currant mot test is awaiting new legislation to be passed to include the issue where AIR BAGS are missing or defective and supplementry restraint warning lamps are indicating a fault on the vehicles dashboard.

The regulation covers all air bags and is due to come into force in the late summer where they will then FAIL if it does not meet the criteria,

Any vehicle presented for its mot at this present time will be inspected for its air bag presence and defects,but will be in an advisory note to educate vehicles owners.

Being an mot tester i would strongly advise agianst the removal of any air bag.

Rob

Edit to say against

• Like 1

Did anyone notice the recent case of a man who had an accident, and his air bags deployed. The man subsequently had breathing difficulties, over a few months, and eventually died. Apparently, the air bag split, as his head hit it, and he inhaled the powder contents of the airbag, which remained in his lungs and clogged them up.

Did anyone notice the recent case of a man who had an accident, and his air bags deployed. The man subsequently had breathing difficulties, over a few months, and eventually died. Apparently, the air bag split, as his head hit it, and he inhaled the powder contents of the airbag, which remained in his lungs and clogged them up.

Yeah, not good.

The currant mot test is awaiting new legislation to be passed to include the issue where AIR BAGS are missing or defective and supplementry restraint warning lamps are indicating a fault on the vehicles dashboard.

The regulation covers all air bags and is due to come into force in the late summer

The new regs are already in place and effective

There are 5 hidden replies in this thread that you do not currently have access to as a Guest User of our forum. To unlock the forum register for an account for FREE today by clicking HERE