High Tower

Transfer Blues

Hi all. First post and it's a massive moan. Currently with Northants but really want to get back to Nottingham. Almost 4 years in now and been patiently waiting for last 2 years for transfer chance. Totally fed up with situation at the moment. How many on here are in same boat? Anyone with any inside news for either Notts or Derbyshire recruitment plans that haven't made it to there websites??

Yes... Familiar scenario. and I sympathize....

I applied for Dorset about 8 years ago - I grew up there and wanted to move back south. At the time they were advertising for sgts boards. Didn't get interview, and when I spoke to them I found that inspectors from other forces were prepared to take reduction in rank to transfer. No brainer for Dorset, but I was gutted.

I am still waiting for opportunity to move back south. Devon and Cornwall used to have a transfer list that opened up each new year - I rang up for the last couple of years but had no joy. Dorset is small force with few chances of a move....

We could have a long wait I fear...

Emailed Derbyshire the other day as hopes were raised when saw there website. Reply stated no plans to take transferees at this time. That appears to be despite looking to take external applications! Appears the age of transfers has passed and we're stuck where we are. Another case of goalposts being moved since I started. Another reason for total pessimism is windsors new recruitment proposal. Cheap new recruits or more costly transferees. Think I know which our cash strapped forces will go for. Appears HMG puts no value on experience.

Emailed Derbyshire the other day as hopes were raised when saw there website. Reply stated no plans to take transferees at this time. That appears to be despite looking to take external applications! Appears the age of transfers has passed and we're stuck where we are. Another case of goalposts being moved since I started. Another reason for total pessimism is windsors new recruitment proposal. Cheap new recruits or more costly transferees. Think I know which our cash strapped forces will go for. Appears HMG puts no value on experience.

A good point well made. Windsor's 'reforms' know no bounds it seems......

As I thought Derbyshire are opening for recruitment but not taking transfrees. To rub salt in the wounds my lot are taking transfers BEFORE external applicants. Feels like serving officers are being discriminated against in some parts of country. Got angry yesterday and emailed police minister Nick Herbert about the general situation for wannabe transferees. No hope it will change anything but calmed me down a bit!

Some will castigate me for this, BUT have you considered changing your ethnicity for the application? apparently it opens all types of doors.

Can you actually change your ethnicity, except maybe with radical plastic surgery? Or do you mean lie on the application form? My other half has Caribbean heritage but not appearance and refuses to declare any ethnicity - I sometimes wonder if his career path would have been any different if he done otherwise (for better or worse). I always declare myself to be half-Spanish, just to be awkward, as if we traced our ancestry back far enough I bet we would pretty much all multiple ethnicities in our ancestry. You might as well classify people on whether they have brown hair or blue eyes IMHO!

During my initial interview for the job I was asked directly, as I came from a service background, "DO YOU FEEL THAT YOU WOULD BE ABLE TO UNDERSTAND ISSUES REGARDING ETHNIC MINORITIES"? I remember my reply to this day............."ABSOLUTELY AS I AM AN ETHNIC MINORITY AND CAN READILY IDENTIFY WITH OTHER ETHNIC GROUPS"

Not one eyebrow was even raised on the panel and not one of them made eye contact for several seconds, during an uncomfortable silence. The silence only broken by moving straight on to the next question.

I am white skinned but have a mixed heritage, dual race, mutli-ethnic background. Must have really confused the panel, but what could they do, challenge a persons ethnicity status because they appear to be white????!!!! Yeak, ok, may as well just hand in their notice or slap the Ch Con round the face!!!!

• Like 1

My husband is the same as harrier, his family on his Dad's side came from Barbados - I keep telling him he should put it on all the forms that request ethnicity but he stubbornly refuses to play the game! It does make a bit of a nonsense of the ethnicity question as he is ostensibly white, but has several first cousins who are ostensibly black, so saying that he couldn't understand issues relating to them would be ridiculous.

I know we have got off track a bit but it is a fascinating topic.