I have just seen the budget is likely to get rid of national pay scales in public sector. The headline says that they will freeze the pay in poorer areas for civil service, teachers, nhs etc.... So we are definitely all in this together.... Without a paddle I might add!

MUMMYPATROL

They may well attempt to bring the country to a halt at the time of the Olympics. It would be quite easy for them to cause considerable chaos, except fir the fact that good old British coppers will be there to deal with the disorder in their own inimitable fashion, despite being on the receiving end of the same (if not worse) treatment at the hands of those who will requite them to deal with the chaos. Ironic.

I don't understand what HMG are hoping to achieve. These people could bring the country to a halt during the Olympics (hint).

You say that but i bet the tube service operates well through out the olympics

You say that but i bet the tube service operates well through out the olympics

Because they have all had a bung....

I note that the expertise allowance for psu trained colleagues does not kick in until the end of this govt term....

The one good thing about this report is that it seems to have opened most people's eyes as to what the government are really up to. I am a member of a number of online forums and people who before were moaning at public sector gold plated pay/conditions and pensions are now sympathising with the public sector. People who manned about the day of action last year are now talking about strikes during the olympics.

I think the gov have really shot themselves in the foot with this one. If the fed have a media campaign hiding somewhere now is the perfect time to play it.

I wonder if this will apply to MP's then?

Those who represent areas that are cheaper to live in - will they see a reduction in salary?

(I know the answer - just thought I'd point it out) :unsure:

I think the gov have really shot themselves in the foot with this one. If the fed have a media campaign hiding somewhere now is the perfect time to play it.

Trouble is that "The Boy" has BA experience of real life and during his apprenticeship no politician said to him "That is a good idea Dave but ..." As a result, nothing is ever thought through. No real risk assessment is done.

What worries me is the long term implications of freezing pay for public sector workers in the lowest pay areas. It will see teachers, nurses, mental health professionals, and other key workers being paid less in deprived areas than in more affluent areas.

How can it be right to pay someone who works in challenging and under privileged inner city areas less that a counterpart in an affluent leafy suburb or village? This will lead to a skills drain and people will vote with their feet. It is basic economics, which dc and ga profess to know a lot about.

Surely if HMG are still banging the social meritocratic drum, where they want people to stand on their own 2 feet and take personal responsibility for themselves, we need the best professionals to work in these areas. This will see the opposite happening.

What worries me is a further widening of the gap between the haves and have nots. And we only need to look back to 1981 to see what the outcome will be. The GBP have a habit of voicing their frustration through the medium of petrol.... And it is yours truly and colleagues who will be on the receiving end of the special delivery from unigate / esso.... And we will do it because that's what we do....

• Like 1

How can it be right to pay someone who works in challenging and under privileged inner city areas less that a counterpart in an affluent leafy suburb or village? This will lead to a skills drain and people will vote with their feet. It is basic economics, which dc and ga profess to know a lot about.

Why is it right that someone who lives and works in an expensive area is held down to the same pay as someone who is in a much cheaper area?

Different side of the same coin.

Provided wages/salaries are now going to be negotiated and settled locally then these should settle at a level that allows for the appropriate level of recruitment. However, if there is any sense of central decree then it will fail miserably.

There could be problems with folk transferring between areas if the salaries in the new area are lower but this does happen in the private sector (probably there is an initial salary difference which gets sorted over a few years).

• Like 1

I won't be surprised when this is omitted from the budget. We are all ready to react furiously to this news, at the same time as he announces the reduction of tax paid by the wealthy from 50% to 40%. However, when there is a "change of heart" over the regional pay scandal, there will be a far less angry reaction to the tax cut. I admit I am seeing conspiracies everywhere at the moment, but I am also getting wise to the way the public are being played by this horrible Tory Government. Time will tell.

Why is it right that someone who lives and works in an expensive area is held down to the same pay as someone who is in a much cheaper area?

Different side of the same coin.

Provided wages/salaries are now going to be negotiated and settled locally then these should settle at a level that allows for the appropriate level of recruitment. However, if there is any sense of central decree then it will fail miserably.

There could be problems with folk transferring between areas if the salaries in the new area are lower but this does happen in the private sector (probably there is an initial salary difference which gets sorted over a few years).

And I was thinking it was just me. Have to say I was thinking on exactly the same lines OC. :thumbup3:

The pay freeze is just another ludricous idea from this 'Let's see how we can royally f**k up this country because let's face it there's no way we're getting in come the next election' government.

I don't work in the same county that I live in. In fact I work in a completely different region to where I live. If I'm honest that is probably going to work in my favour initially but it also means I won't consider roles in the area where I live.

The local primary school where I live is already having problems recruiting, this is just going to make it even harder. The same can be said for the local hospital etc etc.

I agree with Threaders. This will merely serve to widen the gap between the haves and have nots. Yet again!

There are 41 hidden replies in this thread that you do not currently have access to as a Guest User of our forum. To unlock the forum register for an account for FREE today by clicking HERE