Sign in to follow this  
manda

failed application for a special

Well im a little dissapointed in the response i got back from northants police force, i had applied to be a specia and recieved my letter today of a failed 1st stage  application, have been told to reapply in 6 months which i will..........but what qualitys do they look for in filling in the application,,,,,,,,,i was quite proud of my application and now feel a little deflated ,,,,,,but will reapply as this is something i want to do .........;)

Welcome Manda! Smile

I'd be inclined to ask them nicely for some feedback so that you can have an idea of how to improve it next time.

It sounds kind of obvious but they look for you to a) answer the question asked, and B) have relevant examples in your answers.

Maybe you didn't give them quite enough of the examples they were after.

The very best of luck with your future application!  Hopefully you'll stick around on the site!

thanks looking back i could have exsplained more but they dont give ya enough room in the questions to write ya answers....i will ask them for some feed back thanks ....i will apply again 

thanks looking back i could have exsplained more but they dont give ya enough room in the questions to write ya answers....i will ask them for some feed back thanks ....i will apply again 

Ah.  Yes.  That can be a bit of an art - to get everything you want to say in a limited amount of space.........but then, some poor HR person has to read them, and they don't do big words or, indeed, long sentences - something to do with their attention span being that of a standard housebrick (imperial not metric).  Feel their pain.

Er.  You don't work in HR do you??? Embarrassed

Mandy, I'm only a member of the public so I've never seen the form, but when I've filled other aplication forms in, I map out what I'm going to say on the computer in Word. Then I leave it, go back to it, change it until I'm happy with it, then spell check it because I sometimes make silly errors (as the others will tell you) and then I copy it out into the space provided. That way I'm not wasting words. I have to be careful as my handwriting is dreadful.

If you get your feedback, maybe start mapping out what you are going to say now, maybe make notes if a thought hits you. I don't know....

Good luck anyway.

lol thanks ......i did all that mapped it all out 1st i spent 2 weeks on the application ......its not an easy thing to complete as you have to think about how much or little they want you to answer the questions,,, i thought i did ok obvisouly not oh well.

Sorry manda, didn't mean to make sucky-egg comments.

Oh, and Tommo:  Tongue *rasp*

Sorry Mandy. You must surely have heard the term "Teaching your grandmother to suck eggs,"  meaning tell someone something which they know, which everyone knows, or stating the obvious.   ie sucky eggs comments.

(Sounds a bit rude, now, come to think of it.)

Hi, next time try photocopying the form before filling it in, and fill in the photocopy to make sure you can fit it all in the boxes. Also, not trying to be rude, but it'll allow someone you know to read it for you and point out any spelling/grammer errors.

Good luck!

Hi' date=' next time try photocopying the form before filling it in, and fill in the photocopy to make sure you can fit it all in the boxes. Also, not trying to be rude, but it'll allow someone you know to read it for you and point out any spelling/grammer errors.

Good luck!
[/quote']

Yes indeed.Wink

Those are very good ideas. Typos and spelling mistakes creep in all over the place... I'm always getting my leg pulled over them.

Sign in to follow this