loopylas

Opsre Part 1 and Methods of Study

Hi All

Wanted to start this in the hope it would help others next year. We all study differently but I thought if we put down what we used then others ould see the most popular methods.

Happily I passed Big%20smile

Was my 1st attempt and I used Crammer books from November and then combined them with Blackstones online Q&A which were very similar to the exam questions.

I do think it would help to also look at the case law in Blackstones Manuals as that would have assisted me more.

There is no fluke about the exams and don't listen to people who say they didn't revise. It's down to hardwork and dedication - I always did well in exams in school with little effort but this was different. I basicaly wrote off my life for 5 months but today I can honestly say it was worth it (oh and I never had chance to revise in work it was all done at home)

Congrats to all that passed an Good Luck to all those who sit it next year.

I only used blacktones and the q+a's and passed. I didn't use any online material. In my opinion everything that could be a distraction when studying should be off. You set yourself a period of study ie 1 chapter and study. I did the q+a, then read the chapter in blacktones, did the q+a again and checked results, if i scored less than 80% or so i would re read the chapter. I only studied from the Sgt's hotlist posted for free on the checkmate training website. I ignored everything else in blacktones. I was familiar with about 90% of the topics covered in the exam...

Echo the above by Richy - was my third and final attempt at Part 1 - wouldn`t have sat it again had I failed. First two times I used online stuff etc and largely ignored books. This time stuck to the books and concentrated on the hot topics I got from the checkmate site. I also found the checkmate audio discs invaluable - just used those to/from work etc and even while doing the ironing LOL. Big tip is to learn the case law from Blackstones inside out.

I started around August by just listening to the Tom Barron Audio CD's. I then read through the 4 Blackstone books and completed a Blackstone’s mock test where I got 48%.<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I then read through the books again a chapter at a time and made notes on each chapter. At the same time I hammered the online questions to check my learning of each subject area. Finally I did a paper mock a week before the exam and got 90%.

For people taking the exam in the future I would recommend trying to get on with the Blackstone's manuals. It is what the questions are written from at the end of the day. I did have crammer books but ended up not using them after advice from a colleague, and when I eventually sat the exam I saw many questions that you would unlikely know the answer to, even if you could recite crammer books verbatim

I used Blackstones Q & A's and they were brill. Also the Tom Baron audio CD's and again were very beneficial, especially to understand the topic prior to reading from Blackstones.

Finally, by far the most valuable study aid was the Checkmate publishing study course. It was very fast pace and intense, but well worth it.

All I would say is that if your wanting to pass you need to invest some money, and alot of time!

Good luck to everyone for next year.

I started reading Blackstones & taking notes but found this far too time consuming.  I then started using the Tom Barron CD's, listening to them while falling asleep at night, whilst at home & in the car, basically anytime I could.  I also read the Tom Barron crammer books a few times and then just used Blackstones to expand on this knowledge where the crammer books were scant in detail.  I made up my own mnemonics & ways to remember things so that I could recite them more easily.  From a month before the exam I also started doing a couple of hundred questions most days on Blackstones online Q&A.  This sounds like it takes a lot longer than it actually does and it allows you to recognise your weaknesses so you can address them, understand the format of questions you are likely to get & see how they test your knowledge.  Being able to recite definitions is NOT enough, you must be able to apply them and know the exceptions to the rules.  I passed in the top 3% in the country using these methods.  Good luck to anybody sitting the exam this time round.

When all else fails try this top tips:

If there are three yes's and one no, or similar, then the answer is the one there is only one of. This is because the question writer has not been able to create a second plausible "right" but wrong answer.

If one of the answers is significantly longer than the rest, that's the answer. This is because the question writer has not put sufficient information in the stem (the gumpf that gives you the information on what the question is based) and has had to put extra in the answer.

If technical terms or specific terminology appear in the stem (see above) and only one of the answers, it's worth giving this one a punt.

There is no replacement for knowing your stuff, however if you absolutely haven't got a scooby, and one of the above appky then you have nothing to lose.

Such things are supposed to be weeded out by the exam designers. I know from experience that they still appear in multiple guess exams.

Good luck to everyone jumping on the no hope of promotion for years wagon!